Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
For my project i wanted to add videos to the site. I created a table so on the left would be the video and the right side would be the description. But when i add the video's they are cropped out. Also how do i get it to not auto-start and give the option of the controller so the viewer can play/stop each video.
<html>
<head>
<body>
</head>
<body bgcolor="black">

<table width="100%" border="1">
<tr>
<td><embed src="orientation2.mov" auto start="false"</td>
<td><font color="white">This video was produced for Residential Life at ______ for Freshmen Orientation. The theme was “what does being a member of the _____. I used Final Cut Pro, Motion, and Live Type for this project. <td>
</tr>

<tr>
<td><embed src="bruins.mov" auto start="false"</td></td>
<td><font color="white">The Theme for this project was to be an animation one might see at the start of a Boston Bruins game. For this project I used Adobe After Effects, Adobe Photoshop and Final Cut Pro. </td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td><embed src="Katrina2.mov" auto start="false"</td>
<td><font color="white">This was a news package that ran on ____ about students for spring break helping build houses in Louisiana. For this I used Final Cut Pro. </td>

</tr>
</table>

</body>
<html>

puckhead193

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2004
NY
i fixed the cropping of the video's by giving the table a height and width higher then the resolution of the videos. But how do I get it not to auto start

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
autoplay not auto start. auto start can't be an attribute anyway because it has a space in it.

Also: Embed is for browsers which don't support the object tag..

The proper way is apparently to use <object>.

Just change the sizes and the filename from the code below:

HTML:
<object width="640" height="340" classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" codebase="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab">

<param name="src" value="myMovie.mov">
		<param name="autoplay" value="true">
		<param name="controller" value="true">

<embed src="myMovie.mov" width="640" height="340" autoplay="true" controller="true" pluginspage="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/">
	</embed>
</object>

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
May I make an informal suggestion?

These days I'd convert the video to .FLV which means the Adobe Flash movie format. This is because 98% of the browsers out there support Flash and you can use a SUPER cool tools (see links below) to import/export and fully customize the size, controls, bandwidth usage and appearance of your video. They generate the HTML for you when done, you simply copy/paste, and it takes into account the 2% out there who don't have Flash installed and allows them to download the plugin.

Flash video loads fast, less client side resources, efficient server side stream and all the popular sites i.e. YouTube use Flash Video in one form or another with those gorgeous controls and overlayed graphics in the player.

Moyea PC: http://www.flash-video-mx.com/flv_to_video_web/ (freeware version is excellent, too)

For Mac: http://www.eltima.com/products/flash-optimizer-mac/

The controls you get are incredible:

* Size, width, frame to start at, bitrate/sample rates both video and audio
* thumbnail generation
* snapshot of frame to embed in your web site to promote the video
* skins for different controls (play, pause, etc.)
* pre-load, stream and related options (reload, looping)
* generate .SWF along with .FLV
* batch process

Most of these kinds of tools use all the codecs on your computer so they'll support any video you can view on your own computer for import. They also allow you to save settings so you can quickly add more videos that all use the same layout in your site, if desired, to save you time and keep your content unified in appearance.

-jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.