Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcb

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
I actually called them...I thought it was a spoof. When the operator answered I told him I just wanted to see if you were a real company...he said "Your on our website, I presume" I told him yes and he asked me what I thought about it.

I told him that I think it looked way too much like Apple's website and maybe they should consider forming their own identity. He said that they are trying to capture the innovative, contemprary, fun designs of Apple while maintaining the acceptance, productivity and components of Windows.

Hmmm...interesting. I think that they could be on to something, if they would form their own identity. I am betting Apple sues them right out of business.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Ripoff yes. Baboon butt ugly yes.
But dang if I don't want one of those Grand Canyon Displays. Imagine getting Unreal to run on one of these suckers. You could practically check your 6 with one of those things. However at $8,500 grand I could buy enough cinema displays to recreate this. Heck with $17,500 I could hire a bunch of trained Baboons with the Liebermann Inc logo plastered on their butts to act out an Unreal game.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
PS is it just me or did they pull off some visual magic to make that 1.7" thick Hollywood laptop look like the PowerBook 17" 1" series? The pictures make that laptop look WAY too thin.

Stelliform

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2002
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
PS is it just me or did they pull off some visual magic to make that 1.7" thick Hollywood laptop look like the PowerBook 17" 1" series? The pictures make that laptop look WAY too thin.

All smoke and mirrors...

Sure the base is thin, but display is 1 inch thick! ;) :p

I like this shot they take at the Mac users...

Mac users only: You may experience linking errors when using the main navegation bar above, with both the Internet Explorer and Safari Browsers. We are looking into the issue and correcting it as soon as the technical issues have been identified. PC users are not affected by this.

:rolleyes: Maybe they should code their html better....

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Interesting to say the least. But I have found some problems, first the P4HT does not have and extreme edition, I work just blocks from Intel, and I have several friends at Intel and they say this is all BS. Also, they have said that No P4 can break the 4GB barrier, thats for the P5 or the Itanium, which ever they decide to release to the Public. Also... NO BATTERY TIMES. The Laptops don't even hint at battery times, which means that its like 1/2 that of Alienware Laptops (Which are at 45min). Also, Why can't they resize the Start Button to look "normal"? Nice Machines with interesting design. Now you can show your PC whiners that Macs are priced for their Performance, and these are over priced.

I Hope Apple Sues these SOBs out of Business.
Or Buys up the designers and Marketeers.

TEG

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
BS. This cant be a real company. For one thing, theyd get sued to death. Secondly, their products have unrealistic numbers. A 3.8 gHz Pentium 4 doesnt even exist.

I call BS.

simX

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2002
Bay Area, CA
This has got to be a spoof. I mean, look at that one button on the top -- it says "WinXP 4 'l'". And then if you click on it, halfway down the page there's this hilarious picture of 4 executives trying to look casual. Seriously... what's this L business all about?

Hahaha, and "cinerama" displays? Hahahahaha. That's a good one.

I think I agree with agreenster -- it's almost definitely a spoof.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Originally posted by simX
This has got to be a spoof. I mean, look at that one button on the top -- it says "WinXP 4 'l'". And then if you click on it, halfway down the page there's this hilarious picture of 4 executives trying to look casual. Seriously... what's this L business all about?

Hahaha, and "cinerama" displays? Hahahahaha. That's a good one.

I think I agree with agreenster -- it's almost definitely a spoof.

Their buttons don't even work.... if you click "laptops" you get "desktops! try it

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
Who is lying?

check out the graphs they give for performance on the SPEC benchmarks here and then the SPEC benchmarks apple gives here. somebody is making up figures for the xeons and p4s.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
This almost has to be a joke. Just because you talked to someone doesn't mean it's a real company.

When you click on the win XP 4 (l) thing (link here) there's an absolutely blatant rip-off. Go to the very bottom of the page, and look at the second button there. Look familiar to anyone else?

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
You guys need to check out the store too, if you haven't already. The button doesn't work, but the link is here.

The displays in particular are actually pretty funny/awesome.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Originally posted by Stelliform
All smoke and mirrors...

Sure the base is thin, but display is 1 inch thick! ;) :p

I like this shot they take at the Mac users...

:rolleyes: Maybe they should code their html better....

Or, maybe Apple should fix Safari. It's yet another site that I can operate in Camino without error.

Give it up for Camino, baby, yeah!

Dan

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
There is something wrong with that site. I sent the link to my friend because his uncle works for IBM's advanced research department with the PCs and he says the P4 specs and Xeon specs are *way* off (And IBM has a lot of experience with Xeon workstations), there are lots of specs that are just plain BS, and the site is a rip off of Apple's "style" to the letter. As far as it not working correctly on a Mac, they just need to stop hiring webmasters who only read from "HTML for Dummies" and get people who know how to code correctly.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I just looked at Intel's website and even they don't list anything *near* a 3.8 GHz processor, HTEE, 2 megs L3 cache, 950 MHz bus, or performance figures that this website does. If this is "future" technology, I can't seem to find anywhere within the PC rumor community that says this is out.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by LimeLite
This almost has to be a joke. Just because you talked to someone doesn't mean it's a real company.

Another odd thing is that I can't find any independent information on this company or any of their products anywhere on the internet. Try doing a Google search, I couldn't come up with a thing. Nothing on any of the technology news sites like CNET and the like either. I seriously doubt they are legit...

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by agreenster
Here's proof that its false. You can find their products elsewhere on the web, made by different companies. For example, their "Hollywood" Laptop is actually made by BolData

http://www.boldata.com/html/prod.cfm/view/1/list_id/339.htm

Im quoting myself because it answers the above quesitons. Of course it isnt a real company, they dont even make their own computers.

Looks like a school project to me.

dcb

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Hey now! I'm not defending or promoting this company at all...back off. I just posted that I called to see if they were a real company. It seemed legit enough to me.

I even recieved an email from them:

----- Original Message -----
To: XXXXXXXXX
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: Huh?

Dan:

Thank you for you input, especially regarding pricing.

As for your disbelief, yes we are an actual company and do have all the products we offer available to ship.

If you are interested in any items or have any questions please feel free to contact support or sales.

Thank you,
Marie Summers
Tech Support Supervisor
--------------------------------

At 01:15 PM 9/23/2003 -0400, you wrote:

I will be honest with you, I am still trying to figure out if this is a spoof of Apple or not. I'm not one of those Apple zealots, but I really think that you should create your own identity! To go just a little further, work on your website...man is it cluttered and verbose. It took me 5 minutes to find prices and I never read past the first two lines of any of your information (wow thats a lot of writing)
Anyway, good luck to you. I hope everything works out great!

Dan

dcb

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
Originally posted by agreenster
Im quoting myself because it answers the above quesitons. Of course it isnt a real company, they dont even make their own computers.

Looks like a school project to me.

Many companies sell third party products. Apple doesn't produce their computers...does that make them a fake company?

Here is a link to a news story about them:

http://www.monster-hardware.com
http://www.gruntville.com/
http://macminute.com/

These links make me think it could be legit.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Originally posted by dcb
As for your disbelief, yes we are an actual company and do have all the products we offer available to ship.

You're not the one we don't believe, it's them. :)

Well, I seriously have my doubts, but if this is true, we should be hearing about it soon enough right? I'd like to see how well these $7,000+ 3.8GHz systems perform with some independent testing...until then, I'm not buying any of their claims. :rolleyes:

P.S.: As for those news links, all they all reference is the same press release that was sent out yesterday. MacCentral was carrying this same story this morning. It doesn't prove whether they're legit or not, anyone can send out a press release. I doubt anyone has had the chance to follow up and check to see if they're for real yet.

dcb

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2003
P.S.: As for those news links, all they all reference is the same press release that was sent out yesterday. MacCentral was carrying this same story this morning. It doesn't prove whether they're legit or not, anyone can send out a press release. I doubt anyone has had the chance to follow up and check to see if they're for real yet

But...a reputable company (maccentral, macminute, etc) pretty much verifies all press releases. That is the first lesson in journalism...verify, verify, verify!

And I just want to note...I could care less whether they are real or not. It would be a heck of a spoof though, and I don't rule out that possibility. BUT, I am not going to immediately dismiss them simply because I don't like the idea of them ripping off Apple's website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.