"An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly." - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Nov 27, 2007, 09:44 AM   #1
poulet
macrumors newbie

"An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly."

I'm having a problem with iTunes 7.5 recognizing my 40 GB clickwheel iPod. It started after I upgraded to Mac OS X 10.4.11 and iTunes 7.5 on my G5 -- everything worked fine before that.

The iPod appears on the desktop, in disk mode, but doesn't launch iTunes automatically. After I launch iTunes manually, I get the same error message, and the iPod is ejected:

"An iPod has been detected, but it could not be identified properly. Please disconnect and reconnect the ipod, then try again."

I've tried downgrading to iTunes 7.4.2, reinstalling iTunes 7.5, reinstalling the Mac OS X 10.4.11 update using the standalone updater, using Onyx to do maintenance on my system. I deleted appropriate preferences files and package receipts when (re)installing.

Interestingly, YamiPod detects and works with the iPod just fine.

Any ideas? Anyone else experience this?
poulet is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod