Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2007
What do you guys think will be the way MMS is implemented on the iPhone? Will it be through a firmware update for existing iPhones or will one need to buy the next generation iPhone in order to use MMS?

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
irmware update if they bother, now that leopard is finished hopefully we'll see more significant updates. i hope we get a least a small update to keep me happy untill macworld, where i predict a significant update to the software will be released.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
What do you guys think will be the way MMS is implemented on the iPhone? Will it be through a firmware update for existing iPhones or will one need to buy the next generation iPhone in order to use MMS?

I'm no cell phone expert, but I don't think MMS is something that requires new hardware in the phone. I think Apple just needs to unlock it through a firmware update. I hope they do address the lack of MMS soon. I didn't mind not having it at first, but the more people that send me media messages, the more annoyed I get with going to viewmymessage.com. I don't see what the big deal is and why they can't just allow them. A lot of people say that it is pointless because we would be receiving crappy quality pics from other phones with lower resolution, but I personally don't think that matters.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I think its more likely that after the sdk is released in feb that someone will start selling a mms app. I think there are plenty of people, me included, that would pay £10 - £15 for the ability to send picture messages from their iPhone.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I say soon and it'd be a firmware update only from what people in the cell phone development business seem to be saying. For some reason I miss it already.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
I only see apple giving us mms if it will improve sales. I was happy to buy the phone knowing that I couldn't mms, I am still happy. I think there is much to come from apple by way of firmware updates, just think that mms is quite far down steve's list of priorities, which leaves a gap that some enterprising programmer is sure to fill and rightly expect some payment for.
Hope I'm wrong

hard-case

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2007
Workaround.

iPhone Email = MMS compatible

And it's FREE!

More info. There are sites with more comprehensive info. As well as some sites that will forward number@somesite.com to the correct person, but I don't remember what that site is.
http://hacktech.wordpress.com/2007/07/13/mms-picture-mail-workaround/

And that gets around needing a pen and paper to write down an obscure set of codes and having to go to a website and punch them in just to receive an MMS how?

Daeve

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
Hopefully in a firmware update soon before I get mine at Christmas.. I get a couple of mms's a week and I really couldn't be bothered to write the address down and enter it in the web browser (as there's no copy/paste either). It's all about the spur of the moment - sharing a funny incident with friends, not about hi-res pictures or anything (as some people have made an issue of mms being low quality).

The main thing is that it's such a simple basic thing that every other phone can do - the all-singing iphone should implement it or Apple should be very embarassed.

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
The workaround is retarded.

1. It requires that I need to modify all my contacts and add their mms email, which would also involve calling all of them and asking them which carrier they are on.

2. It also requires that all my friends add my email to their phones. And there's no guarantee that it will work either. Just today I had a friend try and email a picture from their phone via mms to my email address. I never got it. When they sent it to my phone number, I got it right away, only it was that dumb viewmymessage.com text. So off to the computer to see it, since the iphone doesn't support flash.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
When has apple ever given a hoot what the people want. They say MMS is crap and they will shove it down our throats and refuse to give on it.

It sad that the " most advice phone on the market" lacks MMS. Most advice phone my rear end.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
I tried the work around sending to another AT&T iPhone as well as mine. Nothing. Just some text. No picture, link to picture, or point to where I can see the picture. I tried both @mms.att.net and @txt.att.net

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

anyone tried the new o2 web app for it yet? I would but I have never received one yet, and you need one ready to recieve to test it out. Plus ultimately I don't care. ;)

sokrates

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2006
Macnotes.de posted a comment today that someone discovered fares for "Picture and Video Messages with max. 300kb" on the us iPhone site, which clearly hints at MMS being introduced soon.

Seems a logic step to me, so I guess we can expect MMS and Video functionality very soon (February the latest)

(Video functionality with upload to youtube was mentioned a couple of weeks ago by an apple exec. if I recall it right)

and just for the record, MMS is totally useless, but I would welcome it , just for the sake of not having to deal with those idiots who make fun of my iphone :D

Shap

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
Macnotes.de posted a comment today that someone discovered fares for "Picture and Video Messages with max. 300kb" on the us iPhone site, which clearly hints at MMS being introduced soon.

Seems a logic step to me, so I guess we can expect MMS and Video functionality very soon (February the latest)

(Video functionality with upload to youtube was mentioned a couple of weeks ago by an apple exec. if I recall it right)

and just for the record, MMS is totally useless, but I would welcome it , just for the sake of not having to deal with those idiots who make fun of my iphone :D

Correction, MMS WOULD be totally useless of the rest of the world had email on their phones as well. Nothing like get a txt that some girl is ending you a hot photo and you have to tell them, Wait! I can't get MMS on my iPhone, send to my old junky windows mobile. ;)

Until then MMS is very relevent and should be as standard of feature and text messaging.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
it's 2007 for crying out loud.

Use email.

If your friends don't have email on their phones, tell them to join the 21st century already.

I highly doubt there will be an MMS coming out of the SDK because of the issues with AT&T charging for text messages.

Is the 3rd party going to negotiate some deal with Apple and AT&T? Possible, but pretty annoying.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London

Use email.

If your friends don't have email on their phones, tell them to join the 21st century already.

I highly doubt there will be an MMS coming out of the SDK because of the issues with AT&T charging for text messages.

Is the 3rd party going to negotiate some deal with Apple and AT&T? Possible, but pretty annoying.

It's actually 2008.:p

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
The workaround is retarded.

1. It requires that I need to modify all my contacts and add their mms email, which would also involve calling all of them and asking them which carrier they are on.

2. It also requires that all my friends add my email to their phones. And there's no guarantee that it will work either. Just today I had a friend try and email a picture from their phone via mms to my email address. I never got it. When they sent it to my phone number, I got it right away, only it was that dumb viewmymessage.com text. So off to the computer to see it, since the iphone doesn't support flash.

I think the MMS issue has to be the biggest faux pas by Apply over the iPhone. It highlights the limitations of the camera, the lack of Flash support and the inability to copy and paste. It's not a big deal for me not to have it, but I wish Apple would hurry up and fix it.

David R

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2003
Orlando, FL

Use email.

It's like saying "Don't SMS, email instead." "Don't use iChat, send an email instead."

Different uses, different audiences. MMS should have been on the iPhone since day 1.

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
most of my friends who dont have an iphone, say that they would get one if it had MMS capability. I have not recieved one yet (a link to view it), I never did MMS all that much, so my friends didnt really send me pics, etc. I dont miss the feature, but to have it would be nice, just to have. =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.