Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dudeitseddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
My parents said i could get either one for Christmas. Im really happy that they allow me BUT i could only get the iPhone if I pay the cancellation fee to my T-Mobile contract(about 200). I will pay if I make up my mind but I recently saw a thread talking about the iPhone 2 coming in may or so. I dont wanna get it so it gets replaced right away but it would be better if I got Phone instead of touch because my tmobile phone has a cracked screen and it can only make and recieve calls. So i kinda need it but i dont know if i should just wait or get neither. Can someone please tell me what is best to do and if it will be replaced soon?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I say go with the iPhone. If your tMobile phone if giving you trouble anyways, there's no sense in keeping it around.

Go and visit an ATT store and find out if they'll help cover your cancellation fee. Some people had success with this when the iPhone first came out. At the very least, they might waive your activation fee, which will certainly help.

Also, be sure to check your tMobile contract carefully. Are you sure that the contract isn't prorated? It may only be a fraction of the full fee after x number of months. In the end, if the fee costs more than the number of months you have left under contract, just keep it active until it expires.

dudeitseddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I say go with the iPhone. If your tMobile phone if giving you trouble anyways, there's no sense in keeping it around.

Go and visit an ATT store and find out if they'll help cover your cancellation fee. Some people had success with this when the iPhone first came out. At the very least, they might waive your activation fee, which will certainly help.

Also, be sure to check your tMobile contract carefully. Are you sure that the contract isn't prorated? It may only be a fraction of the full fee after x number of months. In the end, if the fee costs more than the number of months you have left under contract, just keep it active until it expires.

OK i guess i really should get it. I dont think the cancellation fee is less the bills til it expires cause i recently got it renewed so it has a year left. If i cancel I end up paying less. Also im kinda scared that it will break since the one i had did and i already had a previous one break for no reason. Is there any way i could insure it? cause i have bad luck wit phones( like most kids do)

olliebraves20

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2007
Lansing, MI

This is really the only thing that you should be thinking about. Who wants to have a phone that barely works or works poorly? Especially when you can have arguably the best preforming phone.....just a thought...

dudeitseddy said:
cause i have bad luck wit phones( like most kids do)

Not that this is the norm but my friend left his on the top of the car and didn't remember it until it flew off when he was getting on the highway....we went back and found it and it has worked ever since. I'm certainly not saying it can't be broken but I think you will have a lot better luck with the iphone holding up than other phones you have had. I know I have.....as for the warranty question I don't believe att offers it but you can get apple care.....however that wouldn't cover things such as what my friend put his iphone through.....

dudeitseddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Not that this is the norm but my friend left his on the top of the car and didn't remember it until it flew off when he was getting on the highway....we went back and found it and it has worked ever since. I'm certainly not saying it can't be broken but I think you will have a lot better luck with the iphone holding up than other phones you have had. I know I have.....as for the warranty question I don't believe att offers it but you can get apple care.....however that wouldn't cover things such as what my friend put his iphone through.....

Oh lucky him. I sat down and when i took it out of my pocket it was cracked. And it wasnt in my back pocket so it made no sense at all. How much does Apple Care cost?

this is the only reason why i would advise against getting an iphone. accidents happen, especially with kids. if you do end up with the iphone, however, congrats and good luck.

Ya this is super true I have friends that are on their third phone this year.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Oh lucky him. I sat down and when i took it out of my pocket it was cracked. And it wasnt in my back pocket so it made no sense at all. How much does Apple Care cost?

Well, lesson #1: don't put a phone in your back pocket. The reason is two-fold. Firstly, it is easier to pick-pocket from a back pocket. Secondly, back pockets receive more force than front pockets (your bum can get heavy after a while ;) :p).

Secondly, Apple Care won't cover damage that was your fault, so don't expect it to be your savior.

dudeitseddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Well, lesson #1: don't put a phone in your back pocket. The reason is two-fold. Firstly, it is easier to pick-pocket from a back pocket. Secondly, back pockets receive more force than front pockets (your bum can get heavy after a while ;) :p).

Secondly, Apple Care won't cover damage that was your fault, so don't expect it to be your savior.

I said it wasn't in the back pocket. thats why i said it was so random.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I said it wasn't in the back pocket. thats why i said it was so random.

Whoops...misread that.:eek:

That is random. Do you ride trains a lot? Buses? Perhaps you were thrown to one side, and your phone took the fall for you?

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Nope it was at my friends house. On an office chair.

Were you goofing off? I just can't fathom a phone breaking at random...it's never happened to me before.

There must have been something that caused your phone to receive more pressure than it can withstand. Think back and see if you remember anything like that.

dudeitseddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Were you goofing off? I just can't fathom a phone breaking at random...it's never happened to me before.

There must have been something that caused your phone to receive more pressure than it can withstand. Think back and see if you remember anything like that.

I could swear I texted someone before I sat. When I was sitting I recieved the reply and when i took it out of my my side pocket it was cracked.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I could swear I texted someone before I sat. When I was sitting I recieved the reply and when i took it out of my my side pocket it was cracked.

I really have no answers for you...sorry. :eek:

My suggestion is to get the iPhone though; you won't regret it.

Lucky b*****d:p:D

dudeitseddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
ok then. i guess ill get it and try to protect it as much as possible and get a good case. Do any of you know of a good case for the iPhone?

EngBrian

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2007
Ontario, Canada

I know this thread has gone off topic but perhaps what happened was similar to 1g nano's cracking in peoples front pockets. Your pants can get tight to your leg when you sit (even the front) and this can bend things like phones and ipods enough to crack an lcd screen. Granted for a phone this may be tougher (depending) but not impossible.

r21hugo

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2007
San Diego, CA
iPhone

this is from someone who owns an ipod touch and soon will an iPhone. Consider this things first:

1) In your home town will it be easy to get wifi? maybe school...

if you it wont be so easy or your school doesn't have open internet access

2) How much storage do you need?

either if you are going to buy the 8gb ipod or if your library is bigger than 16gb then you should just probably go with the iphone because you can't have all your media with 16gb anyways.

3) do you need a phone? are you happy with your phone?

and obviously the answer is no, so i would go with the iphone.

good luck

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
iPhone all the way. One less gadget to carry around if your phone and iPod are the same thing as well as all the other benefits.

I went from having all my audio on an 80GB iPod to an 8GB iPhone, where around 5GB is audio. It made me trim my selection to what I really want to listen to. For that once-in-a-while stuff, I just sync when I need it.

I can't believe I waited so long to get one. Now it's my phone, my iPod, my email and web browser, my video player, my camera (candid shots are fine on it, really), my organiser, my multi-language dictionary, my note-taker, my book reader and my alot-of-other-useful-things (even a flashlight in emergencies!).

All in one device. <--- this is a very good thing.

The days of fumbling around on some clunky keypad to make a quick note are gone. As are stuffing my pockets with numerous gadgets that are too fiddly to use. And recharging four types of battery, every other day.

Sure, it's not perfect. But what is?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.