Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 29, 2007, 04:41 AM   #1
owen-b
macrumors 6502a

Leopard Mail refuses to play notification sounds!

I have recently thought I was going deaf because I was getting new mail and never hearing the sound for it. I thought maybe iTunes was on too loud or something. However, I've just done a test and no, Mail is definitely not playing the new mail sound. Speakers are the internal default ones, volume is up, but when I send mail to myself from a different Gmail account, when it arrives in Apple Mail there's no sound. This happens whether the app is active or in the background.

I'm sure I've heard it working a couple of times recently, but it's random and seems to be very much in the minority of occasions. Here's another weird thing it does - when I've received new mail during the day but Mail has been turned off, when I get home and open the application it searches for mail, downloads the new ones, and plays the 'No new mail' sound.

I've considered these things might be because I've already received the mail on my Blackberry, but this never used to happen in Tiger, and I'm using a POP Gmail service, not an IMAP one it shouldn't be able to tell I've already had them.

I have Dockstar installed but it worked fine with Dockstar before. Might it be causing a conflict somehow? Dockstar doesn't play any sounds, only changes how the mail notifications appear in the dock icon.

I don't use iChat so I don't know if this problem has affected other Apple apps. I've read some people having problems with that too.

Cheers!

Last edited by owen-b; Nov 29, 2007 at 04:54 AM.
owen-b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by owen-b View Post
I have recently thought I was going deaf because I was getting new mail and never hearing the sound for it. I thought maybe iTunes was on too loud or something. However, I've just done a test and no, Mail is definitely not playing the new mail sound. Speakers are the internal default ones, volume is up, but when I send mail to myself from a different Gmail account, when it arrives in Apple Mail there's no sound. This happens whether the app is active or in the background.

I'm sure I've heard it working a couple of times recently, but it's random and seems to be very much in the minority of occasions. Here's another weird thing it does - when I've received new mail during the day but Mail has been turned off, when I get home and open the application it searches for mail, downloads the new ones, and plays the 'No new mail' sound.

I've considered these things might be because I've already received the mail on my Blackberry, but this never used to happen in Tiger, and I'm using a POP Gmail service, not an IMAP one it shouldn't be able to tell I've already had them.

I have Dockstar installed but it worked fine with Dockstar before. Might it be causing a conflict somehow? Dockstar doesn't play any sounds, only changes how the mail notifications appear in the dock icon.

I don't use iChat so I don't know if this problem has affected other Apple apps. I've read some people having problems with that too.

Cheers!
I know what you mean - I am having the exact same problem! I believe it is a bug in Mail, but it doesn't particularly bother me - at least not enough to post here about it. I do NOT have Dockstar installed, and I am also using POP with GMail.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 12:47 PM   #3
owen-b
macrumors 6502a

Well personally, an intrinsic piece of Apple OS software not working properly is enough to get under my skin!

Oddly it's been working a couple of times today. But not 100%, and not sure what caused it to work.
owen-b is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:23 PM   #4
MacDaddy.G5
macrumors newbie

I'm curious, did any of you upgraded from Tiger to Leopard, if so, did you do a regular upgrade, archive & install or just a fresh, new install?

I'm having little, nagging issues with my Leopard too, but I just did a regular upgrade. I'm seriously thinking of hosing the whole system and start fresh.

Last edited by MacDaddy.G5; Nov 29, 2007 at 01:26 PM. Reason: grammatical errors again!
MacDaddy.G5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:28 PM   #5
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy.G5 View Post
I'm curious, did any of you upgraded from Tiger to Leopard, if so, did you do a regular upgrade, archive & install or just a fresh, new install?

I'm having little, nagging issues with my Leopard too, but I just did a regular upgrade. I'm seriously thinking of hosing the whole system and start fresh.
I did not upgrade - I did a "fresh, new install" as you put it.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 01:41 PM   #6
MacDaddy.G5
macrumors newbie

Okay, just checking. I'm reading (now that I've upgraded my OS) that it is recommended to archive and install.
MacDaddy.G5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 04:05 AM   #7
PaulH2008
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to PaulH2008
I've noticed Mail doesn't make any new mail notification sound for me neither. I have a new macbook that had Leopard pre-installed, and I thought I was going deaf until I saw the the number 1 pop up in front of my Mail icon and heard nothing (Full volume etc).
Most confusing
PaulH2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:26 AM   #8
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH2008 View Post
I've noticed Mail doesn't make any new mail notification sound for me neither. I have a new macbook that had Leopard pre-installed, and I thought I was going deaf until I saw the the number 1 pop up in front of my Mail icon and heard nothing (Full volume etc).
Most confusing
Odd. For no apparent reason the notification sounds have come back. Now, though, it plays the New Mail sound only when it feels like it. Most of the time I just get the No New Mail sound, even if there IS new mail.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:34 PM   #9
Duff-Man
macrumors 68030

fixed in 10.5.3?

Duff-Man says...I notice this "problem" as well sometimes, it is very sporadic. I always get my sound(s) when I manually check for mail but only sometimes when Mail checks on its own.

I've just read the initial reports out today for the 10.5.3 update and one of the items listed for fixes is "mail alarms" so it seems this little quirk is being dealt with....oh yeah!
Old May 5, 2008, 01:42 PM   #10
susansoiree
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to susansoiree Send a message via Skype™ to susansoiree
I have the exact opposite problem. I got Austin Powers saying "you got mail baby, yeah!" for my notification but it's so fricken loud. I turned the volume all the way down and it's still so loud my neighbors must be getting sick of it.
susansoiree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 03:55 PM   #11
hodgjy
macrumors 6502

I've noticed on my system I only get mail sounds when I check mail manually or when it checks automatically according the interval I have set. I do not (ever) get new mail sounds when I have enabled IDLE commands and new mail is instantaneously indicated as new.
hodgjy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 05:49 PM   #12
Halcyon
macrumors 6502

Must be a Leopard thing...in my case not only does it happen with Mail but also with some System alert sounds (like when emptying the garbage) and like everybody else here already mentioned sporadically/aleatory.

Maybe 10.5.3 will deal with it.
8GB iPod Touch
Halcyon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 07:49 PM   #13
brunobrunic
macrumors newbie

bug with mail alert

mail alert doesn't work if iTunes is ON. no matter if song is playing or not. Just quit iTunes and that's all. I know this may not be the solution of your problem but it just possible that Apple did it on purpose, so that we are not disturb while listening to the music
CHEERS.
brunobrunic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2008, 03:19 PM   #14
sadtooth
macrumors newbie

an experiment

I'm having the same issue with my Apple Mail. I've started a little experiment to see how many people are having this problem. Check it out, send it around, and maybe we can get Apple's attention

http://gimmemyalert.blogspot.com/
sadtooth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2009, 06:57 AM   #15
smerx
macrumors newbie

fix

Go to Mail->Preferences->Accounts->Advanced and deselect "Use IDLE command if server supports it"

Worked for me.
smerx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:03 AM   #16
cpoticha
macrumors newbie

I have the same problem and I HATE it.

I use a pop mail account, so the option to turn of the "IDLE" option (whatever that is) is not available.

Not only do I not get a new mail sound, but neither does the icon bounce in the Dock.

I return to my Mail after several hours to find urgent messages awaiting me.

I've posted a Bug Report to Apple, but don't expect much help until I experience the same thing on Snow Leopard (once I upgrade).

My computer's brand new, with Mail pre-installed, though my mail archive is imported, and quite large.

Poop.

PS: Nice ancient Windows style interface for this forum! WTF?
cpoticha is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 04:51 PM   #17
randomerratum
macrumors 6502

Same Here

I've just noticed the same issue on both my PowerPC G5 (Leopard) and my Macbook Pro (Snow Leopard) - For a while I thought it was randomly working - like I just had to change some Mail Rules or Preferences, then today I realized I'd just been hearing the noise from my iPhone every time!

The IDLE selcetion is already checked... I use mobileme, so all my mail settings are pretty much default. Within the preferences it's even set to "New Mesages Sound"
randomerratum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 05:21 PM   #18
Applepi
macrumors 6502a

Yeah this is a very irritating bug, I don't think I've ever heard the sound when getting new mail.
Applepi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:12 PM   #19
snowpuff
macrumors newbie

same issue here

i just got my new macbook air in yesterday and the new mail arrival sound is sporadic at best... i really do not know what the problem is but i can barely get the sound to chime at all for the new mail notification yet all other sounds seem to be working properly. has anyone identified a fix yet?
snowpuff is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X