Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ensemble

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Hi all,

I had a UK O2 Iphone but returned it with the 14 day cooling period. Then decided to opt for a hacked US Iphone 1.1.1 with SIM unlock.

I've noticed that with the O2 Iphone, the EDGE coverage isn't quite a good, i.e most times indoors I only have GPRS signal (blue box).

Now, that I have a hacked Iphone, I've tried Vodafone & T-mobile UK which to my knowledge do not have an EDGE network in the UK. And oddly enough, the hacked Iphone constantly shows 'E' all the time!!

I've now decided to opt for Orange as I've been told they have a decent EDGE network in the UK.

But now that I've tried Voda & TMob, I am having doubts whether I am truly getting an EDGE signal or not, since the 'E' symbol is constantly shown and never the blue box whilst with the proper O2 Iphone contract.

I've used the following Network settings:

APN: orangewap
user: <blank>
password: <blank>

Can any hacked US Iphone users in the UK share their EDGE experience ? i.e. are we actually have EDGE or do I need to make some amendments to the hacked Iphone to show an accurate reading?

Cheers

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
Hi all,

I had a UK O2 Iphone but returned it with the 14 day cooling period. Then decided to opt for a hacked US Iphone 1.1.1 with SIM unlock.

I've noticed that with the O2 Iphone, the EDGE coverage isn't quite a good, i.e most times indoors I only have GPRS signal (blue box).

Now, that I have a hacked Iphone, I've tried Vodafone & T-mobile UK which to my knowledge do not have an EDGE network in the UK. And oddly enough, the hacked Iphone constantly shows 'E' all the time!!

I've now decided to opt for Orange as I've been told they have a decent EDGE network in the UK.

But now that I've tried Voda & TMob, I am having doubts whether I am truly getting an EDGE signal or not, since the 'E' symbol is constantly shown and never the blue box whilst with the proper O2 Iphone contract.

I've used the following Network settings:

APN: orangewap
user: <blank>
password: <blank>

Can any hacked US Iphone users in the UK share their EDGE experience ? i.e. are we actually have EDGE or do I need to make some amendments to the hacked Iphone to show an accurate reading?

Cheers

only 1.1.2 has the ability to differentiate between edge and non-edge. 1.1.1 will always state the 'e' icon regardless of whether iphone is connected through edge.

ensemble

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
only 1.1.2 has the ability to differentiate between edge and non-edge. 1.1.1 will always state the 'e' icon regardless of whether iphone is connected through edge.

Thanks for the reply - not to doubt you but can you provide a URL as to where this is stated ?

Perhaps I might upgrade from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 in order to get that working. I ran a little speed test:

http://i.dslr.net/tinyspeedtest.html

am getting on average 41kbps

in my St Albans flat

therefore am definitely not on EDGE but GPRS, even tho' it states 'E'

:(

sucks big time...

headspace

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2005
Thanks for the reply - not to doubt you but can you provide a URL as to where this is stated ?

That's a given - I can tell you from my own experience with the US iPhone I am using in the UK that 1.1.1 always shows 'E' as a generic data connection indicator. Once I upgraded to 1.1.2, it began to differentiate between EDGE and GPRS.

Also, I think you should be aware that although Orange does have an EDGE network, theirs is only really available where a decent 3G signal is not available. This means that unless you are in a marginal area, it is unlikely that you will be able to get EDGE on the iPhone - only GPRS (which is available everywhere).

I had an EDGE enabled phone on Orange for the last 2 years but I don't think I ever saw the EDGE indicator in this country, only ever when I was abroad.

The only way you can currently get decent EDGE on the iPhone is by using a O2 tarrif.

ensemble

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
That's a given - I can tell you from my own experience with the US iPhone I am using in the UK that 1.1.1 always shows 'E' as a generic data connection indicator. Once I upgraded to 1.1.2, it began to differentiate between EDGE and GPRS.

Hey,

Thanks for the info. Really did help.

Sorry to trouble you but can you provide the URL/tips/experience as to how you upgraded your hacked US 1.1.1 iphone to 1.1.2 ? There seems to be lots out there which can be quite confusing..

But is the 1.1.2 fix worth it?

I've managed to install some patches, e.g. International on the 1.1.1. Overall it seems fairly reliable.

I had a 1.1.2 O2 and jail-broke it. But became very unreliable, i.e. Iphone seems to hang all the time.

Assuming if I did the upgrade as yourself, is it easy to restore it back to 1.1.1 again? (need a back-up plan)

Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.