Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maximus06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
Seems like a simple thing to do, yet I've searched and not found an answer.

Automator doesn't seem to have a terminal function...?

Does anyone know?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
They way i would do it is to use applescript "do shell script" save that as a script and then put it in login items.

maximus06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
They way i would do it is to use applescript "do shell script" save that as a script and then put it in login items.

I don't know how though. You cant just paste the command and expect it to work right? I mean I don't know apple script

EDIT: Tried that, didn't work.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
I don't know how though. You cant just paste the command and expect it to work right? I mean I don't know apple script

EDIT: Tried that, didn't work.

What is the terminal script that you want to run as it sometimes needs tweaking to be able to run from inside applescript.

Also I think that you have to save it as an application to work now (could've sworn it used to work just as a script file in Tiger)

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Ok having thought about it a bit more something triggered in my brain, can't believe i didn't suggest it before (but then again my sleeping patterns have been all out of whack at the mo).

Lingon - Ok it is basically a GUI to editing launchd but it'll do the trick

Picture 1.png

lawlist

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
We need an updated link please for a current tutorial.

The link to the osxfaq tutorial no longer works. Can someone please post a link to a current step-by-step to do this without an applescript. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.