Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Nov 29, 2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Joel Beason
macrumors member

Disk error bootcamp

I searched around but I don't think I have found an answer to what is happening to me.

I did boot-camp assist, and partioned the Harddrive. Then It goes into the blue formatting screen thingy in the windows set-up. That finish's then the computer restarts and says "disk error" press any key to restart. I do that and the same thing keeps happening over. I selected the BOOTCAMP part of the c drive in the windows setup and I have no idea why it is not working. Any help would be great! Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 04:15 PM   #2
NicoleRichie
macrumors 6502

I had this error as well. Is this the time to put in the OSX disc to install drivers?
NicoleRichie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Joel Beason
macrumors member

I'm not sure, I just get to the part where the computer restarts after the blue partioning screen finishes, and where the windows would start to install. Anyone have any ideas
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:21 PM   #4
10-Dee-Q
macrumors 6502

i have this problem too
but i boot to my XP partition and it start the process all over again, it lasted a few times, till i dont know what happenned and the XP start to install correctly.\

anway i also want to know what is the cause of this.
V-MODA M100 Audio-Technica ATH-CM7Ti
10-Dee-Q is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 04:43 PM   #5
macman78
macrumors newbie

Can't boot back to OSX partition

Hi everyone,

I have a situation most like the one in this forum except I can't even get back to my OSX side to delete the funky FAT32 formatted partition that Boot Camp "suggests" is the right kind. I've always formatted NTFS and never had any trouble in the past. I took Boot Camp's word for it this time that there must be something right about FAT32 and went with that formatting. Yes, upon restarting I get the good old "disk error - press any key to restart" (yes, no key works for restart). I shut the computer down, turn it back on holding down the option key to boot back over to OSX (like I've done many times in the past) but it bypasses that whole process and takes me straight back to the "disk error - press any key" screen. Crazy. This is a first for me, any ideas?

I've also tried holding down C with my Leopard disc and an Apple Hardware Test disc. I was struggling on how to get the Windows disc out so that I could put one of the discs above in but I found the "hold the mouse button down" on restart and the media ejected.
macman78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 01:53 PM   #6
smirkingboy
macrumors member

help - cannot boot from windows drive

mac pro jan 2008 8-core 3.0

i've repartitioned and reformatted at least ten times now. i just keep getting the disk error message. i've slow formatted to NTFS, waited while windows disc installs, then rebooted from new windows startup disc, and i get the $%^#$@# disk error message. every time.

its a drive all its own. in bay 2. its not a partition of the mac hard drive. this should work.

i'm thinking it has to be a hardware problem at this point, right? if anyone has any ideas on how i can get this to work, i would appreciate it soooo much !!!!
HD1: Seagate 350 - OS X 10.5.x
HD2: Raptor 150 - XP 64
HD3&4: Storage Drives
smirkingboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 09:53 PM   #7
crazzyeddie
macrumors 68030

Same problem here on my Macbook Pro. I have repartitioned the drive multiple times and done the long format with the Windows Installer... no luck.

This is a really irritating problem. My friend with a 2.8ghz iMac just installed Windows (same copy as mine, academic version so its okay) and it worked fine. I have no idea whats going on.

As a note, this only happened after I installed 10.5.2. I reformatted a few days later, and then Windows wouldn't install. I wonder if it updated the EFI in such a way that Windows is having some issue with it?

Macbook Pro 15"
8GB DDR3 RAM
iPhone 6 Silver

Last edited by crazzyeddie; Feb 18, 2008 at 09:59 PM.
crazzyeddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:08 AM   #8
brendanryder
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to brendanryder Send a message via Skype™ to brendanryder
i found the solution!!!!!
well actually "mshin.mac.pro" found it
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=434361 post 4
when the part comes up about how you want to instal it. pick the NTFS one. its the top one
then it will work
Old Mar 15, 2008, 09:16 AM   #9
rezatayebi
macrumors regular

I had the same problem ... here`s how to solve it.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306504
rezatayebi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:45 PM   #10
weebeast
macrumors newbie

THE Apple KB article doesn't say format in NTFS...

duplicate
weebeast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:47 PM   #11
weebeast
macrumors newbie

THE Apple KB article doesn't say format in NTFS...

which will NOT allow you to read/write with your OS X boot. It says - clearly - don't pick LEAVE FILESYSTEM INTACT (which essentially means - let WINDOWS do the formatting!). SO you can, and I just DID on a Mini, after having the same issues as we're discussing, FORMAT IN FAT32 (Quick) No kidding.

What this seems to mean is that the Boot Camp app is not doing something right, in the file tables or something, which causes a Windows installation on boot camp's formatted partition.

Thanks to ALL who posted the fix. Love it.
weebeast is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac