Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 29, 2007, 08:46 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Leopard is the New Vista

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Leopard is the New Vista
Description:: We all have such a good time ragging on Vista that it's practically become second nature. We never, ever thought that we'd have the same reaction to a Mac OS--especially Leopard. By and large, though, <i>PC Mag</i> analyst Oliver Rist sees more similarities between Leopard and Microsoft's much-maligned OS than differences.

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 08:55 PM   #2
D3LM3L
macrumors regular

So he thinks that Kernel Panics, hardware malfunctions, are a bug in the OS.
D3LM3L is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 08:55 PM   #3
VoodooDaddy
macrumors 65816

Everyones experience is different. Ive had no problems at all with Leopard using the exact same apps. Ive been up 29 days so far, by far the longest uptime Ive ever had. Granted there are updates that need installed, but I dont want to install them and break my streak
Attached Images

VoodooDaddy is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 08:58 PM   #4
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooDaddy View Post
Everyones experience is different. Ive had no problems at all with Leopard using the exact same apps. Ive been up 29 days so far, by far the longest uptime Ive ever had. Granted there are updates that need installed, but I dont want to install them and break my streak
Some of those updates are security related.
xUKHCx is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:03 PM   #5
VoodooDaddy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by xUKHCx View Post
Some of those updates are security related.

ya, so?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:04 PM   #6
zakatov
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to zakatov
-1 (Garbage)
zakatov is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:05 PM   #7
xUKHCx
Administrator emeritus

Quote:
ya, so?
Well it seems stupid to avoid the updates so you can brag about your uptime.
xUKHCx is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:16 PM   #8
synth3tik
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to synth3tik
I can not ever read that gibberish. How did he get a job writing for a magazine? errr.

"so why don't you like Macs?"
"Because I don't like Macs"

It's a stupid circular logic.

Once the hardware devision at Apple demands that the software devision gives them 10.4 because no one wants 10.5, and only then will I listen to what this guy has to say.

Quote:
hehe
synth3tik is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:21 PM   #9
notnek
macrumors 6502

No problems here. Everything works great. My parents with their PC and Vista not so great.... And anyway, Vista sure looks a bit like Tiger. I mean.... Sidebar -> Dashboard....
notnek is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:32 PM   #10
VoodooDaddy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Did you see me make a thread "hey everyone, look at my uptime!" There was no bragging, just stating a fact.

My post was to disprove the article that Leopard crashes all the time. The security update you felt I needed was to the internal firewall, I hardly think that its mega-uber-critical that I install that.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 09:44 PM   #11
iTim314
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by synth3tik View Post
I can not ever read that gibberish. How did he get a job writing for a magazine? errr.

"so why don't you like Macs?"
"Because I don't like Macs"

It's a stupid circular logic.
I hate windows with a Passion. I love Mac OS X with a greater passion.

But you can't ignore the list of complaints flooding in on this forum and every other forum about Leopard. I did, however, disagree with his rather weak GUI complaints, so I'll go against him on that.

But over all the article was not stupid circular logic, and was well written. He even said, twice I do believe, that he thought Tiger was superior to XP. Doesn't sound like he implied "I don't like Macs" at all.

I'll be waiting for more than just a 10.5.1 update. If still to many critical issues still exist as such a high occurrence rate, then I will wait for 10.6, or 11.

My two cents...
iTim314 is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:17 PM   #12
minik
macrumors 65816

Judging from you guys, I didn't spend too much time to read all 3 pages.

BTW, I run Leopard and Vista Business at work. Besides putting Leopard on my test Intel Mac (Mac Pro), it's running happily on my work DP 2Ghz G5. Sure, there are a couple misses, but Leopard is pretty solid from day 1. On the other hand, I managed to be quite happy with Vista on an aging Pentium 4 (541) 3.2Ghz HP workstation and I never booted back to XP Pro SP2.

Honestly, I shouldn't be using these 2 *current* operating systems on my production machines, since the rest of the computers here at work are still running Mac OS X 10.4.10 and WinXP Pro SP2. Working in the IT department, it's a good excuse to living on the edge.
minik is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:30 PM   #13
Tim117
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by minik View Post
Judging from you guys, I didn't spend too much time to read all 3 pages.

BTW, I run Leopard and Vista Business at work. Besides putting Leopard on my test Intel Mac (Mac Pro), it's running happily on my work DP 2Ghz G5. Sure, there are a couple misses, but Leopard is pretty solid from day 1. On the other hand, I managed to be quite happy with Vista on an aging Pentium 4 (541) 3.2Ghz HP workstation and I never booted back to XP Pro SP2.

Honestly, I shouldn't be using these 2 *current* operating systems on my production machines, since the rest of the computers here at work are still running Mac OS X 10.4.10 and WinXP Pro SP2. Working in the IT department, it's a good excuse to living on the edge.
None more badass.
Tim117 is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:36 PM   #14
Kashchei
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Kashchei Send a message via Yahoo to Kashchei
The author's bias is even more obvious in the video posted on the magazine's website. He repeats a lot of the same points, but makes it pretty clear he is Macphobic.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:02 PM   #15
cohibadad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Did you see me make a thread "hey everyone, look at my uptime!" There was no bragging, just stating a fact.

My post was to disprove the article that Leopard crashes all the time. The security update you felt I needed was to the internal firewall, I hardly think that its mega-uber-critical that I install that.
no need to prove your fanhood with us

I've had so few problems with Leopard and I drive it like I stole it
cohibadad is offline   0
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:05 PM   #16
VoodooDaddy
macrumors 65816

Ill say this, Ive never seen a windows computer with an uptime of 7 days, let alone 29.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:28 AM   #17
stomer
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to stomer
I never had a core dump while running Tiger. A few days after having installed Leopard, I witnessed my first core dump so far but that's been the one and only core dump that I've ever had.
stomer is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:31 AM   #18
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3LM3L View Post
So he thinks that Kernel Panics, hardware malfunctions, are a bug in the OS.
well people think that about windows all the time when most of the time the problems in it crashing is hardware related.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:52 AM   #19
shadowfax
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to shadowfax
Quote:
Ill say this, Ive never seen a windows computer with an uptime of 7 days, let alone 29.
I ran my Windows XP box for about a month straight in way back in 2002. It never did crash, just got pretty sluggish.

By the way, I don't think that KPs are always hardware related. In fact, they're certainly not. I KPed Leopard the second or third day I had it when I tried to run Parallels on my boot camp partition. It started booting it, and then it KPed, and when I rebooted my boot camp partition was hosed. Which was fine, it seemed to be helped by the rebuild I did. I didn't lose any files or anything... I just use it for Visual C# (for a class project) and also for... Counterstrike Source.
shadowfax is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:55 AM   #20
chasemac
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chasemac
I have had some slight problems with the Leopard upgrade but Vista is a problem. The alternative is to stay with Tiger until the bugs are killed. For the most part Leopard is awesome.
chasemac is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2007, 12:56 AM   #21
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
yup totally agree... currently got 25days, going strong as.

um how do u get that uptime?? via terminal? i currently use istat to see mine...

as for leopard being the new vista.... gah i wish that fella would get a life. its basically just telling me that he knows nothing about computers nor OS's... tsktsk

Last edited by DoFoT9; Nov 30, 2007 at 01:09 AM.
DoFoT9 is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2007, 01:07 AM   #22
Quillz
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Quillz Send a message via MSN to Quillz
Quote:
You must not get out much, then, all the Windows computers at my university rarely, if ever, get shut down. They run XP at the moment, and one of the computers in the lab has been running for more than a year straight.
Quillz is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2007, 01:55 AM   #23
VoodooDaddy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quillz View Post
You must not get out much, then, all the Windows computers at my university rarely, if ever, get shut down. They run XP at the moment, and one of the computers in the lab has been running for more than a year straight.
ya, I dont get out much to check on other ppl uptimes

btw, are you there 24/7 and know for a fact these computer have not been rebooted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
um how do u get that uptime?? via terminal? i currently use istat to see mine...
ya, just type uptime in terminal

Last edited by Blue Velvet; Nov 30, 2007 at 02:04 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 02:10 AM   #24
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
wow like some said you need to get out more but I might like to point out chances are you do not use a windows computer so it makes it less likely that you will ever see one.
My desktop (windows XP) less than a month ago I want to say it crossed 45 days of straight uptime. I turned it off because I think was I going out of town the next day it been a long semester. It is not the first time I have had my desktop cross 30 days nor will it be the last. My parents computer quite off crosses 30 days.
Sorry I did not bother taking a screen shot of it because I really do not care to be bragging about it. Right now my desktop is just about crossing 4 days and I will be shutting it down over the weekend. Those shut downs both are related to the hardware. Last one was because DVD drive was having issues and I need to pull it to look at it and the one this weekend is because I some how caused my wireless card to stop working and I will not have the time to mess with it until this weekend. That and I need to put the optical drive back in.

Normally my XP box only restarts are update related.

Now if you choose not to believe my 45+ days I honestly do not care. I am not someone who thinks uptime is something to brag about. Now I can post a screen shot my old PC laptop having an uptime some where around 100+ years and yes it is a legit screen shot.

Last edited by WinterMute; Nov 30, 2007 at 03:36 AM. Reason: no need to be mean.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0
Old Nov 30, 2007, 02:24 AM   #25
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
LOL 100+ years...
DoFoT9 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion