Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 30, 2007, 04:22 PM   #1
maladjusted
macrumors newbie

imac G4 can't/won't install itunes

I recently bought a used G4 imac, which came with itunes 10.4. I upgraded the OS to 10.4.3 [it doesn't have the capacity for 10.5] and i tried to update itunes, as well. I downloaded itunes 7.5 through the apple site, and it downloaded, but when i tried to open it, i could not because it requires 10.4.7, at least.

So now i don't have itunes at all on my computer [just the icon in my dock with the question mark over it]. I found a few web sites where old versions of itunes could be downloaded, but they were all .exe files, which i can't download, or dmg files that would take hours to download. This is incredibly frustrating because the G3 ibook this imac replaced ran itunes 7 just fine.

Any suggestions on how to get itunes back [without having to upgrade the OS or memory, etc.] -- doesn't even have to be the new version. Thanks.
maladjusted is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 09:07 PM   #2
maladjusted
macrumors newbie

fixed!

No need to reply anymore -- I read some similar posts and went about it in a kinda backdoor way -- since i couldn't download itunes with 10.4 as i had it and i couldn't just download 10.4.11 from apple.com, so i just 'asked' the imac to check for software updates, and when it told me to update to 10.4.11, I did. Then i was able [after a couple restarts] to download itunes 7.5. whew! but i do have a strange sense of accomplishment, though.
maladjusted is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 11:19 PM   #3
iCube
macrumors 6502

Tell me about your G4

Glad you solved the problem! What speed is your G4? What size is the screen? I might buy a used 700MHz with a 15" screen for $275. How does it run?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	imac_g4.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	92883  
iCube is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store