Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Hello, people.

I just want to know what is the normal temperature of a macbook pro and how do I know the current Temperature?

thank you in advance,

dProX

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2007
Hi.

I do not know the exact temperature normality for MBP, but.... :
I´ve also encounter a "problem" with what seems to be overheating with my MBP. Therefore i searched the internet, and came up with this.

A lot of posts in forum threads states that they have "problems" with their macs being extremely hot. The replys suggests that the high temperature is "normal" with the CoreDuo processors from Intel, and that this is ok. (and thats to people having around 70C, which I personally believe is a bit to hot)

You can try to download a couple of applications for checking temperature;
CoreDuoTemp Widget ( http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23599 ) - I did not get this to work actually.

AND; "MenuTemperature" ( http://www.soft32.com/Download/Free/MenuTemperature/4-192348-1.html )

Now this is a simple, but very efficient app. It places itself in the top-right menu (along with the battery,Clock,Bluetooth etc) - and constantly gives you the current CPU temperature. It also gives you the minimum, maximum and average temperature over the last 10 minutes.

Even though I did not exactly answered your question, I hope it helps anyway!

dP

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Hello, people.

I just want to know what is the normal temperature of a macbook pro and how do I know the current Temperature?

thank you in advance,

I would suggest iStat Pro its pretty well recognised round here and not only provides plenty of temperatures (5 for my powerbook and way more for your macbook pro!) but also displays other useful things like network sent/received, RAM Usage, CPU Usage, Fans and Uptime/Downtime etc.

Very useful and sits comfortably in the dashboard!

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
+1 to the iStat recommendation. I use it an find it very helpful. Personally, I run both the iStat Menu and iStat Pro. menu for the quick reference while the Pro is for extensive reference.

bjj89us

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
Add-on to the question of temperature

I already monitor my temps w/ istat. Does anyone know how hot my Macbook Pro can run until the heat actually starts to damage it? Are there any programs that will warn me and/or even automatically put the notebook to sleep before it reaches such temperatures?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I already monitor my temps w/ istat. Does anyone know how hot my Macbook Pro can run until the heat actually starts to damage it? Are there any programs that will warn me and/or even automatically put the notebook to sleep before it reaches such temperatures?

CPU will force shutdown when it hits about 110'C.

Average temperatures are anything from 48'C - 90'C. The fans in the new Unibody MacBook Pro's have more blades so create greater air flow - at 6000RPM with full CPU load, you probably won't peak over 80'C.

bjj89us

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2009
Thanks a bunch. That's a relief and it saves me the hassle of putting more crap on my mac. Unfortunately I'm using the older version of macbook pro does the same go for my mac?

Thanks again!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks a bunch. That's a relief and it saves me the hassle of putting more crap on my mac. Unfortunately I'm using the older version of macbook pro does the same go for my mac?

Thanks again!

Yeah, same temperatures.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
I did a Handbrake encode last night on the new MBP work gave me. It worked at 100% CPU for almost three hours. Temperature peaked at about 80˚C, fans were no more than 3000rpm. Under normal use, it's at about 40-45˚C

iPoTmon

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
For me when im just surfing the web im around 46 Degree's Celcuis too 50. Youtube goes around 55C to 65C. Fans running these are around 2000 RPM. Even with photoshop it goes around like 50C-65C? I hope this helped

PS My macbook pro 13 has been on for like 12 hours lol. and its sitting at 47C

gileadid

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2009
high temp

Hey, I just got this brand new 13" screen MBP, and I don't really use it for more than Safari or a few Adobe CS3 programs. Just today, however, I was just running Safari, and my temperature peaked at just over 90 degrees C! I just got the software to turn up my fan RPM to about 5000, and it doesn't really seem to do much. I got all my updates for it, and I'm thinking it might be the OS system update, but I don't know.. I'm at 74 degrees after running it for just about 10 minutes after absolute cool.
Is this bad?

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Just out of curiosity, how many people who have overheating problems are using a stand?

Even when my PB G4 was having cooling problems on processor-intensive apps, just focusing a desk fan at the elevated underside kept it ice cold.

regnoc

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2009
MacBook Pro 13" (Mid 2009) at 88°C

Hey!

I've read many forums and feel confident that my MBP will shut down if it gets to hot. But I don't feel comfortable with its normal operation temperature and its peaks often with some simple operation and not much multitasking.

Peaks at 88°C (190°F) with the fan nearly 5000 rpm. Could be simple photo correction, document creation in Pages, Safari with Flash OR defiantly with video editing or multitasking some of the above.

Seems to always run at about 54 - 71°C (130-160°F) with the fan never below 2500 rpm. (Never owned a computer where the fan is always on). Is this normal, should I worry?

Just out of curiosity, how many people who have overheating problems are using a stand?

And yes I am dependent on a cooling pad - don't feel confident any other way. And for a new computer non the less.

Greenman85

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
smcfancontrol

get smcfancontrol. tells your temp and lets you adjust fan speed. pretty cool. also use istat and just remove the temp display

drjuice

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2008
Hey!

I've read many forums and feel confident that my MBP will shut down if it gets to hot. But I don't feel comfortable with its normal operation temperature and its peaks often with some simple operation and not much multitasking.

Peaks at 88°C (190°F) with the fan nearly 5000 rpm. Could be simple photo correction, document creation in Pages, Safari with Flash OR defiantly with video editing or multitasking some of the above.

Seems to always run at about 54 - 71°C (130-160°F) with the fan never below 2500 rpm. (Never owned a computer where the fan is always on). Is this normal, should I worry?

Seems like you notice an increase with activities that hit the CPU hard. That's always going to be the hottest part of the system when it's powered on.

What else is running? Open Activity Monitor, change the dropdown menu in the top of the window to "All Processes" and change the main column view to sort by "CPU%."

You could also create a new account and log in to that and check Activity Monitor as well, or install iStat and see what happens. If this new test account is showing lower temperatures and fan RPMs then there is something in your account that is running in the background wasting cycles and generating heat. Check your login items and the queues for any printers you have set up.

On a notebook (they're not called "laptops" anymore because they get uncomfortably warm on your lap) the fan should always be running as there's simply not as much room for air circulation as there is in a desktop. If your fan is not running, that's a definite problem.

WvdK

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
Netherlands
Good tip!!

get smcfancontrol. tells your temp and lets you adjust fan speed. pretty cool. also use istat and just remove the temp display

This is indeed a good tip. I have SMCFANCONTROL installed myself, it works great and (in case you are Dutch) it is free!

finsinger

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2009
San Diego
Hey guys,
Long time reader, first time poster.

I just stumbled upon this thread while researching how hot my MBP can run before shutting down. I have a MBP 15 unibody with the Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 processor.

Anyway, I was running Handbrake and my CPU temp on iStat Pro was reading 218 degrees F. What startled me was I have been using Handbrake for almost two years now with 3 different computers and never once have I hit any temp higher than 202ish until now. Even more confusing was it took my fans nearly 30 seconds to run higher than 2,800 rpm at above 210 temperatures. Any comments? Thanks for the reply.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
Maximum temp of my PowerMac G4 1.25ghz SP after three hours of 100% CPU load? 50°c. Maximum temp of my MacBook Pro Core2Duo? 100°c. Minimum of 50°c!

So what's the deal with people complaining about the G4's temps? Surely the dual processor models can't be that much worse.

Anyway, I just did my own study on MacBook temps and the coolest ways to run them. I'm posting soon.

-.-- -.-- --..

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2010
just spotted the iStat app in Apr2010's MacFormat (UK pub) under the Top 10 best free apps. Great app. Tucks right up on top, but it's only free for 15 days. It's $10 USD thereafter, but certainly worth it if you're a gauge gawker.

Rgds,

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
I was peesed when I got an alert that iStat Menus is going to be a paid app from now on -.-'

T'was the best free app I'd ever had.

bswinnerton

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2009
Completely agree with you @MrCheeto. Looks like were going to have to find something new now.

By the way, my 2007MBP runs about ~80F - ~180F (That's the most I've seen it get up to). Fans kick up to almost 6000RPM's when it's doing something intensive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.