Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Hey guys...jw if anyone is having any problems with GMail Imap today, I was able to send fine last night, but since this after I can not send anything...jw if I am the only one...thanks!

JohnMC

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2006
Duluth, MN
I have been having the same problem on my hacked iPod Touch. Although I have been having no problems with Mail on my Mac. :eek:

John

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
mine wont connect to outgoing sever!

i am having the same issue....i have been on some other forums with nothing to do with the iphone and people are reporting the same thing (howard forums and nokia forums).....

btw i dont have a hacked iphone...and its a brand new 8gb actually...

thanks for the replies!!!

sixth

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 16, 2006
Is this still down for people...still not working for me...

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Without wanting to be picky, IMAP isn't used for sending mail - outgoing mail goes through SMTP.
That aside, it works fine here on my Google Apps account (which uses the same servers)

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Not working for me either...well, on my computer it's not, haven't tried sending anything from my iPhone yet.

[UPDATE] OK it tested fine from my iPhone and everything received fine on the computer and iPhone, so now it's a thing of sending from my computer. Well damn Sam. And my account settings are correct...

ANTMUZ

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2005
UK
Have you checked the email address you're sending too? Google's servers will not accept any illegal formatting. For example, for a few days I was trying to send a message but the imap servers kept on rejecting it. After closer inspection I realised that I had typed ",com" instead of ".com".

Maybe that will help you?

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
Well, it seems as though I got it to work on my laptop now that I have checked that the server requires authentication...will check on my desktop in a little bit to see if it works from there.

Hopefully this fixes my issue, and hopefully the OP is in the same situation.

[UPDATE] I checked the same setting on my desktop and it sends now, so that seems to have been my issue. Make sure that if you're using Outlook in the "Outgoing Server" tab in the account properties that it's checked that authentication is required.

HTH

mrtune

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I use gmail on my iPhone and haven't had any problems with it. If it's never worked for you, I'd say it's a bad configuration. Doublecheck all your settings.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Mine used to work, as of this morning it no longer works. I'm using gmail imap as well. I get but cannot sent.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It didn't work for me either! I had to delete the whole account (IMAP and SMTP settings) and re enter them from scratch.

Oh I'll try that when I get home. Thanks for the tip---though we shouldn't have to do this at all!!!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Deleting the account and re-adding it worked. It was also experienced by another user. I am on 1.1.1 he's on 1.1.2 so don't know if it was AT&T or gmail but it seems to be ok.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.