Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I recently purchased the elgato turbo 264. I am converting my DVD library to digital format for apple tv. I am ripping the DVD's and using the turbo to convert the VIDEO_TS folder. It works, but when I play the movie back in quicktime the audio track is not in sync with the picture. In other words lips move and no voice. The voice comes later. Anyone else with this problem?

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
BTW - I did search the forums and read about the sync problems, but I updated to the new software and it still doesn't work. What am I doing wrong.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
Are you using your MacBook Pro to do the encoding with the turbo 264?

Have you speed compared the turbo 264 with just using Handbrake to do the encoding of your DVD's?

I'm not sure a MBP will benefit greatly from the turbo 264.... It would be an interesting test and I'd love to see the results.

Sorry I cant actually answer your question, call me a troll if you like. hah. I'm curious.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
I have found that there are just some movies that the Turbo 264 can't handle properly, for reasons that are beyond me. Some movies will encode with the wrong aspect ratio, some movies will have audio that's out of sync, and some movies will encode with the wrong language track. Playing with the settings and re-running the encode will not fix the problem, so far as I can tell.

I basically separate my DVD collection into three groups: 1) movies that the Turbo 264 can handle and that I don't care about having the very best quality encodes for, 2) movies that the Turbo 264 can't handle and that I don't care about having the very best quality encodes, and 3) movies that I want to keep as high quality as possible. For the latter two groups, I use Handbrake with regular MPEG4 encoding (especially for older foreign films, since the Turbo 264 doesn't do subtitles well) or the AppleTV preset (h.264), respectively.

robrose20

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I am using the Turbo 264 on my old powermac G4 Quicksilver. The speed is not bad on that system. I agree, there is not much benefit to the turbo on a MBP 2.4 ghz. The reason I got it is that I want to take some of the workload off of my MBP when converting my DVD collection. Movies that I really like and want to preserve the maximum quality I use handbrake on my MBP.

What I think is happening on the audio syncing issue is that on DVD's that have multilanguage support the beginning of the movie has multiple messages in different languages depending on the region you are in it will only play the approriate message (english or spanish, etc). The elgato turbo puts the messages in series, so normally the movie will start after the message and will be synced with the audio, but on dvd that have the messages in english, spanish, french etc, it plays the same message over and over in the different languages with the audio for the movie playing in the background. This generates about a 30 second delay between the audio and video.

It doesn't do this for every movie, but it does it in a fair amount. It is quite annoying.

It is not a bad product, but the software that comes with it is pretty rudimentary. It would be nice if handbrake supported the turbo, so I could use it on my G4.

Is it possible to manually edit the video to get rid of the extra stuff at the beginning?

htobin

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2007
audio synch problems

I have been using Xilisoft iPhone Video Converter for Mac to convert ripped dvds for my iphone and find that the audio synch problem seems to be both variable and universal. I have been searching the web for a solution under both Windows and Mac and I suspect there is no program or hardware that solves the problem.

Othat than the synch problem, Xilisoft iPhone Video Converter for Mac has worked well for me

Any other ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

reimerd10

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2007
I use Roxio Popcorn 3 for encoding my movies and I have seen that it will speed up it's encoding process if you have an elgato turbo in your system. Using Popcorn I've never had audio sync problems and always get a high quality mp4 out of the deal. Just wondering if anyone with an elgato turbo has tried encoding with Popcorn and still had the audio sync issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.