Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Why would MTR want to do that?

Im trying to use the new 14i version, thanks.

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
http://www.ripdifferent.com
your answer is there
its something to do with the license and the program accessing the internet to verify you're a legit beta doner

i gave up on mactheripper.... i much prefer windows boot camp as all my apps are free and i have had absolutely no problems with any titles whereas the mtr forum is filled with lots of problems with various titles

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
http://www.ripdifferent.com
your answer is there
its something to do with the license and the program accessing the internet to verify you're a legit beta doner

i gave up on mactheripper.... i much prefer windows boot camp as all my apps are free and i have had absolutely no problems with any titles whereas the mtr forum is filled with lots of problems with various titles

I see. If you don't mind me asking, what software do you prefer to use on windows for DVD purposes? thanks

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
If you've donated, you'd know the procedure.

Are there free rippers for Windows that are reliable?

MtR works well for me. I'm currently backing up the first 4 seasons of Penn and Teller: BS! that I just got from Amazon...it's working beautifully.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
That's good to know, however I'd much rather use native apps, which is why i support that application. With an attitude like that towards Mac developers, who's ever going to want to write Mac apps? :(

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
its an attitude towards only 1 developer, geezerbuttz... im not going to support something that takes a "donation" (a legal loophole in itself) when there are free programs that exist and do a better job

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I understand your point of view, but you're talking about free programs on Windows. It just seems easier to donate to the app than to purchase a separate windows license for boot camp, or a windows license AND parallel's license. Just my thoughts, but I see what you're saying.

I realize the fact that you probably have Windows installed for other purposes than simply ripping DVDs, but for me, I have no use for Windows so that's my thought process :)

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
yeah i am misleading cause technically isn't free because i am talking about windows which i have for gaming/work purposes... but a positive externality of it is the ability to use the dvd ripping software... i would love to use mtr software but it'd be a large investment at this point since the suggested donation is around $40 and then there is no free compression software for mac so a program like dvd2one or toast will be another $50... my sunk cost of windows makes it much better to just stick with windows apps for now... hopefully mtr3 will mature into a stand alone app that automatically searches for updates and installs since having to be an active member of the ripdifferent forums to make sure your version is up to date or how to get a particular title to work is another deterrent for me

edit: sorry for poor grammar and rambling sentences :)

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I was a dedicated supporter of MTR, but the price for a beta program that dials home is ridiculous. The guy says it's a donation, but it's hardly a donation if you have to actually pay him the money in order to get the software. If he wants people to pay for it then he should release it as a full fledged reliable program.

Read more about MTR on the Handbrake Forum

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Good thing I donated when 3.14d was the current version. It works perfectly for everything, even the new Sony discs. I'm all for remunerating GB for his efforts and as an ethical point won't share or torrent 3.14d with others, nonetheless I found myself turned off by the strident, bullyboy demands for money over on the MTR threads.

And I don't like this new 'dialing home' scheme. Call me paranoid, but it sounds like either 1) MTR was secretly taken over by the MPAA and this is their way of knowing whom to subpoena or 2) GB means to re-orient MTR as a subscription service. That is, the license can and will be revoked if regular payments are not made.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I think there's much bigger fish to fry, especially on the Windows side, for an agency like the MPAA to deal with MacTheRipper. I mean, really...people that can run it account for approximately 6% of the computer using population, and then what amount of people actually go out and try to find a dvd ripper for Mac? I'd say, maybe 10-15% of users. So 10-15% of the original 6% is really, really tiny. Especially when there's a few well established programs for Windows that you must also pay for. Just my thoughts, but yes I do agree that they are pretty fierce about requesting donations.

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
The latest versions of MTR, 14i and maybe 'h' before, don't dial home. You do have to get the license via email for it to work though. I see what you are saying. The compression thing - it would be nice if there was good compression freeware.

stupidregister

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2007
MacTheRipper seems to be infringing on copyrights. On its page it says it uses libdvdread and libdvdcss, both of which are licensed under the GPL. Using GPL software in ones own software requires one to release the source code of the software. But as far as I can tell, MacTheRipper has not released any of its source code.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
MacTheRipper seems to be infringing on copyrights. On its page it says it uses libdvdread and libdvdcss, both of which are licensed under the GPL. Using GPL software in ones own software requires one to release the source code of the software. But as far as I can tell, MacTheRipper has not released any of its source code.

MTR has never released any source code, and yes 14i does dial home to provide registration details back to base that's why it wants access to smtp.gmail.keychain.

IMO it's ironic for MTR to be dialling home to acknowledge that it is not pirated software because the developer expects to be paid for beta software that uses GPL. I guess it's what you'd call "being held to ransom".

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I didn't realize that they were using libdvdcss until now. I couldn't be more upset and surprised. I've donated twice to this application, and brought up this point in a thread on their boards where they were talking about libdvdcss (and I wasn't sure why) and my post was simply deleted with no indication that it had been deleted or why.

Unbelievable. I'll purchase AnyDVD and run it in Parallels. MTR never works right anyway on new releases.

TheZA

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
MTR has never released any source code, and yes 14i does dial home to provide registration details back to base that's why it wants access to smtp.gmail.keychain.

IMO it's ironic for MTR to be dialling home to acknowledge that it is not pirated software because the developer expects to be paid for beta software that uses GPL. I guess it's what you'd call "being held to ransom".

Donate, send email with appropriate information to get 14i or whatever version emailed to you, follow directions to get manual license = no dial home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.