Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onelargefiasco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
I'm getting a 80G iPod classic for Christmas, and I've had a old ipod and currently have an older iPod nano. I've used the clear, plastic cases in the past and still have suffered scratches once particles get in there.
I was wondering if anyone had used the Invisible Shields from shieldzone.com? They look pretty good, but are they really hard to apply? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

LinuXtreme

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Near Aspen
I installed a full body InvisibleShield on my 80 GB Classic as soon as I had unboxed it. It was a bit unnerving at first, applying wet plastic to my brand new iPod, but I lived through it. I'm really glad I got the shield. It was slightly opaque in spots but dried clear as advertised. Just keep checking every once in awhile for the next 2 hours to make sure that the shield isn't scooting (I suspect that as mine dried the front shield shrunk slightly (normally wouldn't be a problem for me except that one edge ended up slightly exposed (About 2mm more than the other edge).

The installation is pretty easy. The only real problem was that I had a hard time installing the little dots that go on the corners, so I left them be.

Good luck!

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Patience is key. I have a shield on my iPhone. I was a bit scared and I also took a lot of time to get the tiny corner pieces on. They are on and I always forget that my phone actually is really well protected. People always ask me if I want to buy a case...

LinuXtreme

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Near Aspen
The Shield(s) should be removable within a short timeframe (within 2 minutes while they're still wet). If you do that, just reapply the solution to both sides and apply again.

AFAIK, they are designed to be fairly easily removable, even after they've dried. I doubt they can be reapplied after they've dried, though (I've not tried that). Can anyone confirm or deny?

My suggestion is that you pay close attention for the first few minutes and make sure that it looks good (positionwise, that is. Discoloration will dissapear in the first 24 - 48 hours, during which time it needs to sit drying, so resist the temptation to play with it!). As I said, after that you *may* have to either live with it or take it off and buy another shield.

Hope this helped.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
i have a 80GB Classic and use the Invisible Shield. It took me a couple times to put it on right, and it's still a little off, but other than that, it works just as it should.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
i have a 80GB Classic and use the Invisible Shield. It took me a couple times to put it on right, and it's still a little off, but other than that, it works just as it should.

I have the same setup and it works just as it should. The first invisible shield I ever bought was much more difficult to apply (they didn't enclose the liquid with the shield). Now that they include the liquid, the process is a bit easier.

TimJim

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
I have the same setup and it works just as it should. The first invisible shield I ever bought was much more difficult to apply (they didn't enclose the liquid with the shield). Now that they include the liquid, the process is a bit easier.

The secret liquid :rolleyes:

Yeah the liquid helped a lot.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Do you think they're easy to remove? If I completely messed up?

Yes, I have removed a shield similar to the invisible shield (bestskinsever) before...about 6 months to a year later. It took a bit of energy, but didn't leave any residue. I'm thinking of removing an actual invisible shield from my 5th gen iPod because I no longer use it and it's just sitting in my collection.

However, owning both the IS and BSE, I would go with a best skins ever. It is about 25% of the cost, so if you mess it up, its no big loss. The website is bestskinsever.com

Same material and same effect as an IS.

EDIT: There is no liquid included with the BSE. All you need (says on the directions you print from their website) is water with a bit of baby shampoo (I think...double check on that).

onelargefiasco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
I've decided to order the Invisible Shield as it comes with the liquid and the squeegee thing, maybe less chance of screwing up that way :)

odinsride

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I have one on my 160gb classic, it's pretty nice for keeping smudges and small scratches off the ipod. It was pretty painful to install though...just have a steady hand and patience.

zoontf

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
Yes

I use an Invisible Shield on my 60gb 5.5g iPod.

Yes, application takes patience. I think I spent an hour. There is no glue to the scenario, just capillary action and static cling, basically. The only reason you would not be able to re-apply the shield after removing it would be if you stretched it out of shape... and then you could still re-apply it, it would just look weird.

Speaking of which, the only complaint i have with the sheild is that it stained when exposed to some material in the sport-case I use for my iPod - a black soft-fabric and rubber case that can attach as an arm-band for jogging and such. The top right and left corners have been in contact between the shield and case, and as a result, the shield is discolored blackish in those corners. Not too pretty, but the iPod is a-ok and totally protected. It is nice to not have to worry about scratching it so much. I also got a shield for my camera's LCD display, and was thinking of getting one for my phone. I like them. A little pricey for the plastic though :)

plickfu

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
I have one on my 5G 60 GB ipod. Two years on, it still looks brand new! If I recall, it took about 20 minutes or so for my wife to put it on (when it comes to things requiring any degree of patience or dexterity, I become a completely ridiculous manchild). Enjoy.

ben5959

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
Beware

I had one of these shields for my iphone. It was very difficult to apply, but it wrked fine after I took the hour to put it on correctly. Within about two weeks, the cover started to split in on the back, almost as if someone sliced it with a razor blade. I wasnt to bugged by this as it was still very protective and gave a nice tacky feel to the slippery iphone. THEN the entire case started to turn a clear brownish color. I took it off and called the company. They took forever to answer their phones and when i finally got through, they took my number and called me back the next day. They wanted me to pay the shipping for a replacement of their FAULTY CRAPPED out product. I told them to put their product you know where and now im using the BODyGUARDZ and i am completely satisfied. Stay away from the Shield Zone

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I used IS on my 1st gen nano. It took quite a while and several attempts to get everything lined up exactly with no bubbles etc. but after it had dried out it looked great and protected the nano.

After about a year it started coming away at the corners (the nano lives in my pocket) and I eventually took it off because it looked worse with it on than having a few scratches. I just peeled it off slowly and it came away cleanly. Now the nano doesn't have a cover, but it's getting on a bit and I'm not bothered by the signs of wear and tear.

I would imagine that if it covered a screen that had a raised edge around it it would last much longer than when the edges are exposed.

mleibowi

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2008
Does anyone know if the invisi shield will work with the griffin road trip or ihome9 alarm clock?

atoothelex

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2008
InvisaShield

InvisaShields are pretty much amazing. I've had 2 so far, and the only caveat is putting them on. It's a little tough, but the results and protection afterward are well worth it.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I have the Bestskinsever.com for my iPhone, pretty sure they do iPod skins too. People who have used both will recommend the BSE over the IS. I have heard while both are tricky to get on, the BSE is somewhat easier and a better product. Cheap too. The one for my iPhone was $10 shipped.

imfrog2002

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2007
I have an invisible shield, and it does a great job. I got a small scratch on the back, and took it in to their HQ (it's just a block from my house) and they replaced the shield and professionally installed it for only $5. They only charge for S&H if you need to replace it, but if you live in SLC, just stop by and they'll install it too, and they did a great job. They're also VERY easy to remove. You just peel it off like a sticker, and it doesn't leave any residue, or sticky stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.