Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Dell announced today that will be introducing a digital music player as well as an online music store ("Dell Music Store") in time for this holiday season.

Dell is also introducing a new software application -- the Dell Media Experience -- which "converts the PC into a digital entertainment center".

Very few details are provided about the upcoming device and service.

The Dell Digital Jukebox (DJ) is simply described as "a digital music player featuring a sleek design, with large storage capacity, excellent battery life and easy-to-use controls." Details on the Music Store are even more limited and is said to offer "thousands of music selections" with integration with the Dell DJ.

Dell DJ: High Resolution Photo

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
Everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. That music player is such a blatant rip-off of the iPod. I really wish the iTMS for windows would hurry up and get here.

mgargan1

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Reston, VA
i do think there is one company that is making a product that looks very similar to that... and don't they have their own music store as well...?

What i'd like to know is how they're going to compete with the apple music store, cause a lot of PC people hate dell even more than mac people. Most PC people atleast respect apple for making a great design, they just don't not having a lot of choices. I think that the Dell store is not going to be as strong as Apple's, only because Dell number one concern is not the consumer, but small and large businesses.

lmalave

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2002
Chinatown NYC
Size and Price point will be the key here. The Creative Nomad Zen already offers a 20GB player for less than $250, so Dell will either have to come in cheaper or smaller than that (the Zens are quite a bit bulkier than the iPods). If Dell can offer something like the rumored 15GB player, have it be the same dimensions and weight as an iPod, and sell it for something like $250, then I think they'd have a winner on their hands.

I actually like the Dell scrolly thingy and button layout. The iPod's scroll wheel is actually harder to control. It's a really unnatural motion to have to move your thumb in circles. Straight up and down is much more efficient.

billyb

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2003
i think i'd be embarrassed to so blatantly rip off another company's machine and store. at least put the screen in a different location or something. and maybe a different name for the store, rather than just changing the brand name in front of 'music store.'

AndrewMT

macrumors regular
Dell is always going to make something cheaper.

First of all, that mp3 player is the ugliest thing I have ever seen. Why do all the menus on all these new mp3 players look exactly like the menu on the iPod?

Secondly, you know that Dell is going to price their music at $.89 cents a song and your mom and pop who know nothing about computers will buy you this mp3 player b/c they saw the dell geeks playing with it on a commercial. I also imagine that the player itself will cost roughly $100 less than the same iPod of equal capacity. There are still a lot of people who don't know much about the world of electronic music or at least mp3 players and they will be ready to dive in this holiday season. Apple better come out with some pretty memorable commercials for their iTunes store and player because you know there is going to be a dell commercial for this every 10 seconds.

Maxx Power

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2003
The world is full of evil

Not naming any names here, but I would definitely NEVER, EVER buy from a company that hires temporary prison workers to "recycle" by dumping unwanted, old, used, etc, poisonous equipments somewhere in third world countries and infringe upon our fellow humans rights, a company that would value a few dollars of savings per unit weight over the agony and suffering of others.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7134

dbally

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2003
Heeey you guuuuuuuys

Even though maybe people have an intense dislike for Dells, maybe more people either dislike them less or are at least aware of the company as 'computer related'. I'd choose an ipod over the ipodell any day but I can't help but think about people who will be searching for mp3 players for the holidays (for gifts) and unwittingly buy the dell because they know the name, even if the quality isn't there.

Just my .02

AdrewMT just beat me to it. . . glad I'm not the only one this these thoughts.

peetola

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
Rochester, MN
When in doubt...

When in doubt, copy Apple.

That used to be Microsoft's slogan, but I guess other companies adopting it now. The sick part is that most of my PC using friends will be coming to me saying "Dell is making the PC into the center of the Dell Media Experience." Then I'd say "similar to say, a digital hub?" Soon after which, I'd proceed to tell them about FireWire and floppy drives and trackpads and etc...

When will the public learn? Everyone else is two steps behind Apple?

kb9000

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
(Lab)
some of the beauty of the iPod is in it's ability to be operated fluidly... the Dell Juke's scroll wheel looks like it would take lots of turning...

e2chris

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
99% Windows users use Kazaa anyway so I dont think it is that important... It would be nice if Apple had the ITMs for Windows but I just dont see it making much money. Anyone know how that other music store is doing(windows)?? I forgot the webaddress. The one that had the same commercials as Apples.

Wow!

This is the best thing to come out since low-carb bread!

Those innovative pioneers at Dell have done it again. Why in the world, if you're going to copy something, would you make every effort to make it appear like a lower-rent version of the original? Probably because, price-point-wise, Dell's specialty is low-rent for those to whom price is everything and design is the thing at the end of deroad.

One add-on that Dell will never have for its products is "coolness-factor", regardless of specs. You don't get that from following... - j

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Looks rubbish

Why would people choose the Dell Digital Jukebox over an iPod? It looks like a cheap rip-off and the iPod is allready compatible with Windows.

TheFish

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2003
The south, the deep south
As much as i hate to admit it, i think the dj things looks cooler and easier to use than the ipod. i have a third generation 10 gig ipod and the whole touch interface can really drive me mad when it dosnt register after i hit the button, if this thing is cheaper than the ipod id say apple has a big problem.

copperpipe

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2002
huh?

"I actually like the Dell scrolly thingy and button layout. The iPod's scroll wheel is actually harder to control. It's a really unnatural motion to have to move your thumb in circles. Straight up and down is much more efficient."

So you're saying you've already had ample time using Dells product? I would think that an up and down scroll wheel will run out and you will have to move your hand back up to continue scrolling, whereas Apples you can continuously scroll. I've had no problem with my thumb scrolling in circles whatsoever. It's weird, because you talk with such, ...authority

e2chris

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
Re: huh?

Originally posted by copperpipe
"I actually like the Dell scrolly thingy and button layout. The iPod's scroll wheel is actually harder to control. It's a really unnatural motion to have to move your thumb in circles. Straight up and down is much more efficient."

So you're saying you've already had ample time using Dells product? I would think that an up and down scroll wheel will run out and you will have to move your hand back up to continue scrolling, whereas Apples you can continuously scroll. I've had no problem with my thumb scrolling in circles whatsoever. It's weird, because you talk with such, ...authority

I wonder why Apple even thinks they need a scroll wheel. I thought one button was more there style... Like the lame mouses... lol had to do it...

raschild

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2002
Good ol' US of A
Re: Wow!

Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Those innovative pioneers at Dell have done it again. Why in the world, if you're going to copy something, would you make every effort to make it appear like a lower-rent version of the original? Probably because, price-point-wise, Dell's specialty is low-rent for those to whom price is everything and design is the thing at the end of deroad.

One add-on that Dell will never have for its products is "coolness-factor", regardless of specs. You don't get that from following... - j

Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't think the Dell store will pose a significant threat to Apple's iTMS. The only threat might be to iPod sales, if Dell gets a good price point on their player. The loss of sales would be minimal, though, as only the iPod plays AAC files from Apple's music store, and it's way cooler than the Dell DJ.

Flowbee

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2002
Alameda, CA
So the question is... will Dell continue to sell the iPod alongside of the dellPod? They might, just to call attention to the fact that theirs is less expensive. What do you think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.