Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
I'm currently in the market for some protection on my Ipod Touch and was wondering what most of you use, and what you experience with the installation and use of it. The three main brands I've heard of are BodyGuardz($25), Invisible Shield($25) and BSE($8).

All of these shields are full-coverage protection, but which is best?

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Griffin Reflect is nice but there are some issues with the flimsy screen protector I read. It's too flimsy.

I'm in the market for one as well so hopefully some otehrs will chime in.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
I just went to Wal-Mart and picked up the XtremeMac Tuff Shield for the iPod touch and it is AWESOME! The package came with 5 of them... which I thought was excellent because sometimes I have troubles putting them on and end up ruining it in the process but, this time the first one worked on the first try. It is completely clear (no bumps or anti-reflective coating) and when you look through it, it looks like the original iPod touch screen. I just wanted to be clear that it does not distort the pixels on the screen with the orange-peel effect, it truly looks as if nothing is on your screen. I got no bubbles or dust under this one but, you may go through a couple to get this part right. Also, it comes with a cleaning cloth.

dellavoce

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
Ive used invisible shield and best skins. They are both excellent and virtually indestructible protectors. The best skins are cheaper and ship faster so I would go with that. I throw mine in my purse pocket whatever with no damage

Ipodtouchmaster

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
iSkin

Ive used invisible shield and best skins. They are both excellent and virtually indestructible protectors. The best skins are cheaper and ship faster so I would go with that. I throw mine in my purse pocket whatever with no damage

My favorite skins for all my ipods is iSkin... its silicon instead of hard leather, but still durable enough to absorb the accidental falls. Go http://www.iskin.com for more info. I ordered mine last tuesday should be getting it on monday... ill tell you guys how it looks :D

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
I suggest the iClear..
Got it today, its wonderful. Comes with cleaning cloth and a screen protector, and yes it looks nice...

may post photos later on...

asmallchild

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
I too use the iClear.

Plastic case? Awesome

Wiping cloth? Awesome

Screen protector? Not so awesome. Leaves lots of air bubbles and becomes quite hard to use if you keep pulling it off and re-applying (which I did three times before finally saying to heck with it)

Verdict thus far? Awesome protection. Not one inkling of damage to the iPod Touch exterior. As for the screen itself, it is still unprotected and I am still looking around for something to protect it with. Ultimately, I may end up not doing a thing as I've had it for 2 weeks+ now with nary a scratch. The YouTube videos and iPhone Stress Tests have also reassured me that if manually keying the screen isn't going to cause damage, then keeping the iPod Touch in a pocket with nothing in it is probably not going to cause damage either.

Hoopdy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
What are the iPhone stress tests and Youtube videos and where can I find them?

Kkatyboo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2007
oooo good... my dad got me the iskin in pink and i wasnt sure how good it was and its nice to hear good reviews

maestrokev

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2007
Canada
I used to use the Invisible Shield on everything but I find it's a lot of work to apply correctly - very difficult to get a perfect fit without any bubbles or wrinkles. Anything other than perfect takes away from the clean look of the iPod.

The Griffin iClear is my favorite, easy to snap on and off later if dust gets in. Silicone shields always attract dust over time.

Here are my iPods in iClear cases.

Attachments

• IMG_3892.jpg
    IMG_3892.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 161

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
I use the iClear and have just applied the XtremeMac Tuffshield. Fits perfect. Crystal clear and real easy to install. I did not like the shield that came with the iClear.

Found them a Wal-Mart. 5 in a pact for $15.

DavoMrMac

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2005
I also agree the Griffin iClear is a superb choice.

I can also recommend the use of an Exim Screen Protector, and a sock.

lany

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
I too use the iClear.

Plastic case? Awesome

Wiping cloth? Awesome

Screen protector? Not so awesome. Leaves lots of air bubbles and becomes quite hard to use if you keep pulling it off and re-applying (which I did three times before finally saying to heck with it)

Verdict thus far? Awesome protection. Not one inkling of damage to the iPod Touch exterior. As for the screen itself, it is still unprotected and I am still looking around for something to protect it with. Ultimately, I may end up not doing a thing as I've had it for 2 weeks+ now with nary a scratch. The YouTube videos and iPhone Stress Tests have also reassured me that if manually keying the screen isn't going to cause damage, then keeping the iPod Touch in a pocket with nothing in it is probably not going to cause damage either.

same thing here. i really like the iclear case. i couldn't get the screen protector that comes with it on without air bubbles or dust underneath though. i was going to get another protector for it, but now i think i'm just going to leave as is. plus, with nothing on the glass, it just feels smoother!

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
i ordered the iClear as well. glad it has so many positive reviews. what other screen protectors are you all using for the touch? could you supply a link to any that are recommended?

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
I am looking at the Xtrememac Microshield which comes with a tuffshield.

http://www.xtrememac.com/cases/touch/microshield/index.php

Not sure how good this will be compared to the Iclear, don't think it is out yet either.

Anyone know anymore about this case?

They are out and hanging on a rack at Wal-Mart. $14.95. Comes with a Tuffshield. I had an iClear, so I bought a 5 Pack of the TuffShields. See my above post in this thread.

OrangeCuse44

macrumors 65832
Oct 25, 2006
Are the Tuffshields like all other screen protectors that just stick to the screen? If so, how does it handle air bubbles?

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
Are the Tuffshields like all other screen protectors that just stick to the screen? If so, how does it handle air bubbles?

It has a front (B) cover and a back (A) cover that protects the adhesive. You clean the screen of the Touch then peel off side A and align the bottom edge with the Home button. Not hard at all. The shield is for lack of a better term "stiff". It is flexible, but as you work your way up to the top, it is easy to flatten out the shield and keep bubbles from forming. I had 1 on my wife's Touch. Worked it to the side with a credit card and none on mine. You then peel of the front film, side B, and you would swear it is glass.

I dare someone to be able to tell you have something over the screen of your Touch.

GrimmGreen

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
right now i'm using a DLo-JamJacket , the one with the ear bud management system on the back , kinda flimsy silicone , but not bad for now , but I'm really waiting for the iSkin for the Touch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.