Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I haven't started using time machine but had a question about its functionality. The way I understand it this is the schedule that time machine uses to make backups:

Assuming I start using it on December 2nd at 3PM:

Every hour for one day until December 3rd at 3PM
Deletes every backup except December 2nd at 3PM and December 3rd at 3PM
Repeats ever hour for December 3rd and in addition:
Creates every day backup for one month until January 2nd at 3PM
Deletes every backup except December 2nd at 3pm and January 2nd at 3PM

On February 2nd at 3PM should thus have only three long term backups:
1. December 2nd at 3PM
2. January 2nd at 3PM
3. February 2nd at 3PM

From what I understand, ALL OTHER BACKUPS will be deleted

Here's my real question:
If I add photos to iphoto lets say on December 5th and then delete them on December 18th, will there be any remnants of the photos on the time machine drive? From my understanding there will not be, but I wish there was as I could have accidentally deleted them but because they are not within the 1 month permanent backup window, they are gone forever. Is this the correct way that time machine works?

Also, does anyone know of any rumors for when apple will start to use the ZFS hard drive format for time machine?

theman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
well, i really don't think anyone will know... you could try calling apple (gulp) and asking...

i have been using it since early november, and obviously so far it hasn't gotten to the point of condensing anything into a month. my suggestion would be, at the end of the month, go through your backups for things you want, and restore them.

and about ZFS, i think it will be a long time, OS X can't really even use ZFS...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.