Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cornopaez

macrumors regular
Original poster
I want to reset the background of the login window... I can't seem to find a way that doesn't involve an advance use of the terminal.

Does any one know how to reset to default? I won't mind using terminal as long as is explained in a no-brainer way :(

Thanks for the help in advance!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
reset to default. That means you changed it. how did you change it before.

Hopefully whatever method you used made a backup of the original file. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices and look for something called DefaultDesktop.jpg. This should be what the login background is now. Now hopfully somewhere in that folder will be the original, perhaps called DefaultDesktopold.jpg or something to that effect. Simply delete whatever background you have currently and then rename the backed up version to DefaultDesktop.jpg and that should work.

But before you do that tell us how you did it before.

cornopaez

macrumors regular
Original poster
reset to default. That means you changed it. how did you change it before.

Hopefully whatever method you used made a backup of the original file. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices and look for something called DefaultDesktop.jpg. This should be what the login background is now. Now hopfully somewhere in that folder will be the original, perhaps called DefaultDesktopold.jpg or something to that effect. Simply delete whatever background you have currently and then rename the backed up version to DefaultDesktop.jpg and that should work.

But before you do that tell us how you did it before.

I tried to change it but it turn out to be a big miss. At the beginning I didn't mind the blue screen but now there's a couple of no-brainer ways to do so. About 10min ago I discovered a program in Apple's Download website called Desktop 2 Login 1.0 which claims to set your current background as the BG in the login window. I could not make it work cause I think when I tried to change it before I messed up big time. (Maybe deleting or moving something in the wrong direction)

The DefaultDesktop.jpg is still Aurora, which I assume is the one.

Now I'm stuck with the blue screen. Reseting means, reseting :D;)

Any thoughts?

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
That application replaces the picture but it seems it is a bit naughty as it didn't backup the original.

If it is still Aurora the only thing I can think it could be is a permissions error. What are the permissions on the current file. To find out navigate to it and press cmd+i. Then down at the bottom of the window it will tell you the permissions.

cornopaez

macrumors regular
Original poster
That application replaces the picture but it seems it is a bit naughty as it didn't backup the original.

If it is still Aurora the only thing I can think it could be is a permissions error. What are the permissions on the current file. To find out navigate to it and press cmd+i. Then down at the bottom of the window it will tell you the permissions.

I just figured a way of getting rid of the blue screen. I just had to delete the login preferences file from the library and then reset the original (Aurora) background with the little program.

Sweet! :D Thanks for your help, man.

maclvr246

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2007
Re:

what was the file and where did you find it that you deleted. I have the same problem and I can't fix it.

Help would be greatly appreciated!!:)

cornopaez

macrumors regular
Original poster
what was the file and where did you find it that you deleted. I have the same problem and I can't fix it.

Help would be greatly appreciated!!:)

If you go to your main hard drive via Finder (double click on it on your desktop) you'll find folder named "Library." In it, one called "Preferences." In that latter folder, you'll find a file called com.apple.loginwindow.plist

Secure empty trash and then change with that little prog the background. Happy backgrounding (if such a word exists ;) )

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
If you go to your main hard drive via Finder (double click on it on your desktop) you'll find folder named "Library." In it, one called "Preferences." In that latter folder, you'll find a file called com.apple.loginwindow.plist

Secure empty trash and then change with that little prog the background. Happy backgrounding (if such a word exists ;) )

Make sure to backup the original file as that program isn't that well made, it overwrites the original file.

maclvr246

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2007
Thanks

Yeah thanks that worked great, really appreciate it.:)

There is also a way to modify the file using terminal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.