Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Operachk19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
Hi there! I could really use some help... I have a pretty old iMac (OS X 10.2.8), and up until very recently I would hook up my iPod (30GB 5th gen video) using a USB port cable and update on iTunes (currently at 6.0.5 because this is the latest version for my operating system). Now I have connected my iPod to the computer, and it recognizes that the iPod is connected because it will charge it just fine, but it no longer synches up to iTunes or shows up on my desktop.

This has never been a problem for me before! I've restarted the computer and changed the USB port, but I really don't know why it doesn't seem to recognize the iPod anymore. I don't really want to get a new operating system because I do so little on my computer that until now my old rickety computer has been just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks a million!

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I don't know how you got it to sync to begin with since that model is supposed to require 10.3 to sync. But since it did sync before, does it work properly for playing music?

Operachk19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
Yes, the music would show up fine and it plays just fine, and I still have all of my past music from the previous uploads from that computer on the iPod. I've never tried to upload music from any other computer other then my home desktop. The video never worked, but at least it showed up on the desktop and as a part of iTunes. Frustrating!

Operachk19

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2007
Wow, I've never used that function before, but yes, it does show up in Disk Utility. It recognizes that there is a 30GB drive attached to the USB port, however, the iPod itself shows up as a lighter gray sub category and when I click on it, it says Not Mounted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.