Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cattywampus_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
Hi Guys,

I am currently using a 270GB drive to backup around 240GB of Data.

Now its saying there is 9GB left on the TM backup drive. So obviously there have been file changes and/or files added to the backup - so what happens when the drive gets full?

Does it delete older versions and just keep a rolling backup to the oldest possible? Or will it eventually say It cannot back up anymore data?

Sincere apologies if this has been asked before.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
But it warns you before it starts deleting anything!

You really should read the time machine facts thread before posting anything about the application. The thread has all the answers

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
TM using too much space?

I love Time Machine (and Leopard!!), but I've noticed that everytime I plug in my HD and TM does its thing, it is using up somewhere between 100-600MB when I have only placed on less than 100 MB of known files. What else is TM placing on the HD? Is it copying my whole Safari cache or something? Is there anyway to stop this. I feel that at this rate, its going to fill up my HD with useless files.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Is it copying my whole Safari cache or something? Is there anyway to stop this.

The answer is yes, and yes. Check out the time machine preferences. There is a directory specifically for caches on your harddisk; exclude that from being backed up.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
The answer is yes, and yes. Check out the time machine preferences. There is a directory specifically for caches on your harddisk; exclude that from being backed up.

So, I need a little help. I found out how to exclude certain folders from being backed up each time through TM Preferences. Now, I need help finding the Safari cache.

In user/library/caches, I found two suspect Safari folders. One is "com.apple.safari" which contains a file called "cache.db" (which is in the 200 MB range. Is this the cache that keeps on changing while browsing? Or is it "user/library/cache/safari" folder (which only seems to be about 20 MB in size. Which one is the best for not backing up each time. I am mostly interested in trying to cut down the space TM uses by only backing up files that I actively added to my computer myself (pdfs, mp3s, docs, pictures, etc.)

Thanks a lot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.