Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2003
PA
OK, I have not been able to find an answer to this one. (Also posted on the Apple forums).

I had an external FW drive die on me yesterday. No biggie, or so I thought, I back it up with Time Machine. Well, much to my surprise, when I opened TM, the drive was not available in my Finder view to restore from. I thought this was strange, knowing it had been backing up as I check it regularly, and I could see the data if I manually browsed my TM drive.

I tested something to make sure I wasn't going nuts. I unplugged another external drive that I backup with TM, and same thing - could not restore from that drive. Plugged it back in, and wala, there it is in the Time Machine window to restore from.

Am I just doing something wrong here? Why in the heck would Time Machine NOT allow you to restore from a drive that no longer exists? I mean, isn't the whole purpose of a backup so you can restore in the event of a disaster? I would assume, if I plugged in a new drive and named it the same, it would show, and allow me to restore to it, but what if you want to restore somewhere else?

I managed to get around it by simply manually browsing the Time Machine volume, but either this is a serious bug, or a REALLY poorly written piece of software.

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
By default external drives are not backed up by time machine. Did you manually turn backup for the drive on?

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2003
PA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

saltyzoo said:
By default external drives are not backed up by time machine. Did you manually turn backup for the drive on?

Yeah, it's turned on, and I know it has been backed up as the data is there if you manually browse the time machine folder structure.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

Yeah, it's turned on, and I know it has been backed up as the data is there if you manually browse the time machine folder structure.

This is troubling. Adding this thread to my watch list. Sorry I can't help.

rotlex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2003
PA
Why doesn't someone test that? That seems like an easy enough solution.

Almost forgot about this thread. :)

To answer your question, as I replaced the drive this week, it KIND of does. It seems that after I replaced the failed drive with a new one, Time Machine then "saw" it again for restore. The problem is, the restore didn't actually work properly. While some of the files restored properly, this was just a test as I had already manually copied my real data back, Time Machine became VERY confused and starting throwing out error messages regarding missing file links, invalid parameters and a few other things.

On top of that, I could not get Time Machine to backup the new drive properly, again, giving a myriad of different error messages. I wound up reformatting my time machine drive, and starting a new backup. Things are working fine now, but this whole thing is rather disturbing.

Me thinks Apple really needs to work on Time Machine a bit if they expect anyone to use it as a real backup solution for real disasters. Not just "oh, I deleted my document yesterday by accident and need to get it back" type of stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.