Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 26, 2003, 03:10 AM   #1
Aciddan
macrumors member

Send a message via ICQ to Aciddan
iPods and Running

Guys,

About 9 months ago I developed a sick sick habit... Running. Since developing this problem I have dropped 13kg and have a deep desire to see if I can run with an iPod.

My running distances have blown out to being regularly 7+km (last few have been 10+) and given that I am running for a bit of time I was wondering if an iPod could hack the pressure?

hat kinds of tolerances can it handle? since it's basically a lappy HDD in a little box how does it handle jolting and running?

Are there any accessories that allow you to carry an iPod while running (ie like the Nike MP3 player that straps firmly to your arm?

-- Dan, oddly enough - off for a run now
Aciddan is offline   0
Old Sep 26, 2003, 06:47 AM   #2
niles
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to niles Send a message via AIM to niles Send a message via Yahoo to niles
re: ipods and running

You shouldn't have a problem - I've run a half marathon with my 2nd gen ipod and it worked fine, no skipping at all.

Its a proper pain to run with though - far too heavy to fit in a pocket or clip to your shorts, so you'll end up carrying it. Not ideal, but you do attract envious glances!
niles is offline   0
Old Sep 26, 2003, 06:57 AM   #3
GrizzlyHippo
macrumors member

don't...

My experience has been the opposite of niles - any sort of 'activity' sport that involves the iPod getting jogged around results in about 15 minutes of play followed by skipping, then nothing at all.

This is a major pain in the arse and I am now buying a RioSPORT S35S for such activities.

Also, the Apple KnowledgeBase is full of people who have tried running with their iPods and ******** them completely, resulting in them being sent back to Apple, broken.

Good luck whatever you choose to do.

Grizzly

"Drink till you reboot" - Bender
GrizzlyHippo is offline   0
Old Sep 26, 2003, 07:14 AM   #4
.a
macrumors regular

i also heard, that after about 20 min the sound is gone (after the "skip protection" has ended (limit of ram)). but about broken ipods i haven't heard anything.

i started jogging yesterday - without an ipod.
hope, i'll get 13kg off, too - my respect!!! :)
.a
.a is offline   0
Old Sep 26, 2003, 09:59 AM   #5
lmalave
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to lmalave Send a message via MSN to lmalave Send a message via Yahoo to lmalave Send a message via Skype™ to lmalave
Re: re: ipods and running

Quote:
Originally posted by niles
You shouldn't have a problem - I've run a half marathon with my 2nd gen ipod and it worked fine, no skipping at all.

Its a proper pain to run with though - far too heavy to fit in a pocket or clip to your shorts, so you'll end up carrying it. Not ideal, but you do attract envious glances!
You can buy the ActionJacket for the iPod which comes with both a belt clip and an armband. The armband would be ideal for running, I would think.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:29 AM   #6
acrobat
macrumors newbie

yeah... that doesn't work so much

i bought my iPod (3G) specifically so i could go running with it. however, it skips after 10-15 minutes, and when i say skips, i mean just stops. i took it in to the Apple Store and asked the guy at the "Genius Bar" and he said that because it was basically a hard drive spinning in there, you can't really run with it. after what's in the RAM wears out, you're done. so, i was kinda bummed and now have purchased a RIO MP3 player. (they come with the armband and are only like $90 at Costco.)
acrobat is offline   0
Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:10 PM   #7
rueyeet
macrumors 65816

From other threads like this one, it does seem that if you can manage to put the iPod somewhere where it won't get jostled as much--carried, or in an armband, for example--it might do okay.

I listen to mine on the bus every day as we rumble over roads so bumpy that I've actually been bumped out of my seat! but the iPod hasn't so much as skipped once.

Another reason I prefer walking to running....just think, all the damage suffered by the iPods of all those runners was AFTER their shoes, feet, and legs had absorbed most of the shock of the constant pounding against the pavement.... *ouch*

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GCS/O d+(---) s+:+>+: !a C+$ U P L+(-) E--
W++ N- o? K- w(---) O? M+ V PS++ PE Y+ PGP-
t(--) 5++ X- R+ tv- b+ DI++ D G e++ h-- r x+
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
rueyeet is offline   0
Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:17 PM   #8
macrat
macrumors regular

I bought my 15G iPod basically for running and it was a mistake. The mini-hard drive will not work past the 20 minute Skip-Free protection. It doesn't matter whether you hold it in your hand, use an arm band, tight pockets, etc. This has been talked about heavily at the Apple.com discussion forums. All the serious runners share the same mistake I made. Still kept my beatiful iPod but went back to my solid-state Nomad IIc MP3 player for my +1hour runs. It is also compatible with iTunes although limited to about 150 megs
Old Sep 26, 2003, 01:53 PM   #9
ac2102
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally posted by macrat
I bought my 15G iPod ...
Did Apple skip 4 - 14 generations of iPods?

I know that they are innovators but that is mightily impressive!
ac2102 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers