Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmcdnld3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Need some help with an unhealthy and unhappy Powerbook. The hard drive just went. Complicating matters is the fact that the superdrive is also not working... I was putting off this fix in anticipation of a new computer. Now wanting to resurrect my Powerbook I'm curious if anyone has suggestions on how to proceed. It seems that I need the cd drive to be working if I want to initialize a new HD, right? If I first replace the cd drive and then the hard drive, will the computer recognize the new cd drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
I have replaced the HD in my PB, but never the superdrive. I would think that if you purchase the same model of CD/DVD drive that you have right now, swapping both at the same time would be perfectly fine and the hardware will fire up the CD right off the bat. I would definitely go with a model of CD/DVD that has been shipped in PB's before. You might want to check out OWC.com for drives (if only to get the correct model numbers). Or you could check out http://mactracker.dreamhosters.com/

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Is it a 12", 15" or 17"?

They get harder the smaller they are.

Not too difficult though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.