Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anibalcascais

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
Porto, Portugal
this is probably a stupid question but I'm trying to select dialog boxes buttons with keyboard and cant! In windows you just move from one to the other with the arrow key.
Whats the "secret" keyboard shortcut in OSX? :confused:

Reactions: Sandstorm

anibalcascais

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2003
Porto, Portugal
The tab key should allow you to flip among the different options.

irmongoose

it should but I'm afraid it doesn't. Pressing TAB does nothing...:(
Let me give you an example: say I have 2 safari windows open, I press cmd+q and it pops the dialog box asking if I really want to quit or cancel. I've tried all sort of combination keys to cycle through these buttons (and others) but nothing works...

This cant be so hard...can it?:(

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
it should but I'm afraid it doesn't. Pressing TAB does nothing...:(
Let me give you an example: say I have 2 safari windows open, I press cmd+q and it pops the dialog box asking if I really want to quit or cancel. I've tried all sort of combination keys to cycle through these buttons (and others) but nothing works...

This cant be so hard...can it?:(

arrows should work, then press spacebar to select the highlighted option

Reactions: ozarkcanoer

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse --> Keyboard Shortcuts

Turn on full keyboard access for "All controls." Then you'll be able to tab between buttons and use the space bar to confirm your selection.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
System Preferences - Keyboard and Mouse - Keyboard Shortcuts - Down at the bottom there is "Full Keyboard access" then tab and spacebar will work.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
Also, command-. will usually select "Cancel"... so will hitting Escape

command-N will usually select "No", command-D will usually select "Don't..."

Reactions: CreatorCode

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Another keyboard/dialog box shortcut to know is that Spacebar will press the button that has a ring around it while Return will press the button that's fully colored.

dialog_shortcuts-20071204-152557.jpg

JJFyahpowah

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2016
this is probably a stupid question but I'm trying to select dialog boxes buttons with keyboard and cant! In windows you just move from one to the other with the arrow key.
Whats the "secret" keyboard shortcut in OSX? :confused:

Yes - Enter

No - Escape

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
From 2016-2021 this topic was irrelevant because of the touch bar. Now we're back to pressing tab (check if arrived) tab (check if arrived) tab (check if arrived) tab (check if arrived) tab (check if arrived) tab (check if arrived) tab (check if arrived) ... space bar ... instead of a simple one finger touch to the touch bar ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.