Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 27, 2003, 04:23 PM   #1
andyjamesnelson
macrumors 6502

the ati 9800 some questions.

hello can one use ati's 9800 pro card on a 4XAGP slot? and what does it mean when it says:

Power connection to the computer RADEON™ 9800 PRO MAC EDITION requires connection to your computer’s internal power supply for operation. ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.

Do macs have a 300wat power supply? do i need some kind of connector?
also why do pc graphics cards go higher in onboard ramm specs? whats wrong with mac... why carnt we have the same?
andyjamesnelson is offline   0
Old Sep 27, 2003, 06:12 PM   #2
Catfish_Man
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to Catfish_Man
Re: the ati 9800 some questions.

Quote:
Originally posted by andyjamesnelson
hello can one use ati's 9800 pro card on a 4XAGP slot? and what does it mean when it says:

Power connection to the computer RADEON™ 9800 PRO MAC EDITION requires connection to your computer’s internal power supply for operation. ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed.

Do macs have a 300wat power supply? do i need some kind of connector?
also why do pc graphics cards go higher in onboard ramm specs? whats wrong with mac... why carnt we have the same?
Macs have power supplies ranging from about 70 to 600 watts depending on model. I would imagine that the reason some PC cards ship with more ram is because some people are dumb enough to pay for it. It has approximately 0 effect on performance once it's above 128MB.
Catfish_Man is offline   0
Old Sep 27, 2003, 07:06 PM   #3
Dont Hurt Me
macrumors 603

the 9800 is for 4agp, while the build to order version is for 8agp in the new g5. anyways 4 agp is yet to be saturated from what ive seen. the 9800 has been tested in all powermacs so if you have a powermac no problem but you might want to state your machine and what you want to do with it rather then just an arbitrary question.
Old Sep 27, 2003, 07:08 PM   #4
solvs
macrumors 601

There is a 9800 Pro that's 8x AGP that comes BTO with a new G5. It has ADC and DVI with VGA and S-Video adapters. There is also the retail 9800. That's AGP 2x/4x and has DVI, VGA, and S-Video. If you have a G4 Tower above 400 MHz, you probably have an AGP port and a high enough power supply. With a little research you can find out exactly what your power supply is rated at.

And yeah, it would be nice to have a 256MB+ card, but I guess they figure most Mac people aren't gamers. It would be nice to have one of those high-end workstation cards, though they are expensive and not great for gaming. I hear they're working on it, but I'm wouldn't hold my breath.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers