Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
I have a pretty simple question. Is there any way to mute a browser in OS X? I usually listen to music while I browse and poorly designed websites with sound effects annoy me. On Windows, I had a separate utility to mute the browser (although I hear Vista has per-app sound settings). I currently use Firefox, but am willing to switch to Safari or something else if this is only possible on another browser.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Answer: Stop browsing myspace! :p
Sorry, I couldn't resist. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
I rarely visit MySpace, honestly (not that popular in our country), but those couple of times I checked things out were painful enough to understand that joke. Good one ;).

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
A good idea I've seen is to install AdBlock in Firefox, then set it to block MP2, MP3, AIF, WAV, and WMA files, plus anything else you run into. That would definitely work, though it could cause problems with things you want to listen to (in which case you turn off AdBlock temporarily).

jW

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Huh, that's not a bad idea, but most of the problems are caused by flash files (flash games, pages and ads with music), which means I can't simply block them, because I need the actual content of the game/page.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
Huh, that's not a bad idea, but most of the problems are caused by flash files (flash games, pages and ads with music), which means I can't simply block them, because I need the actual content of the game/page.

IIRC, if you right click on the flash ad, you can adjust the sound level on the flash thingy.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
IIRC, if you right click on the flash ad, you can adjust the sound level on the flash thingy.

Isn't that a function of the flash program itself? I.e., if they didn't include a volume/mute then there (for the end user) isn't one. I could be wrong though.

kostia

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2007
On PowerPC Macs the Rogue Amoeba freeware program "Detour" allowed you to adjust the volume of each application independently. Detour doesn't work on Intel Macs, but it was relatively popular and I'm sure if you search for something like "detour volume intel" or "detour volume leopard" you could find something.

Or if you have an older Mac you could just use it.

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 6, 2007
Yeah, I found detour on my quest to mute the browser a while ago, but as you said, it doesn't work on Intel machines (I have a macbook). Googling for alternatives was unsuccessful.

Get an AirPort Express, hook that on to your stereo, and use AirTunes for listening to music and just mute your Mac... that's what I do...
Heh, hope that's a joke. In case it's not - I unfortunately don't have a stereo, I use my laptop and a pair of headphones for listening to music. And buying all that equipment as a workaround to this problem is out of the question.

I know what you mean, but I'm pretty sure that's just a slider for microphone input volume (in case you want some flash plugin to use it).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.