Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 28, 2003, 03:38 AM   #1
GrizzlyHippo
macrumors member

anyone got a GOOD new PB 15"?

With all the negative talk of warped screens, lids, latches and faulty screens, I just want to know if anyone has received their new 15" PB and has NO problems with it?

I'm expecting mine in about 2 weeks and am considering cancelling the order for a few weeks until Apple corrects the faults on the production line.

So, any of you have a GOOD new 15" PB?

Cheers,
Grizzly

"Drink till you reboot" - Bender
GrizzlyHippo is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2003, 04:25 AM   #2
joeyjojoe
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to joeyjojoe
my new powerbook is fine. no warped screen, no latch problem, no pixels dead.
joeyjojoe is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2003, 09:49 AM   #3
willmg
macrumors member

Mine is fine as well, no warping, no dead pixels, though the screen no longer sits completely flush with the base in order to prevent key markings and this may be what some people are comenting on, I went to apple store and all of theirs where the same and the guy said thats the new method to prevent the markings. Only thing I have decided I dont like completely is the slot loading drive, it just scratched one of my DVDs slightly so now gonna be real careful to make sure it isnt scratching all of my discs.
willmg is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2003, 09:54 AM   #4
Bear
macrumors G3

Re: anyone got a GOOD new PB 15"?

Quote:
Originally posted by GrizzlyHippo
With all the negative talk of warped screens, lids, latches and faulty screens, I just want to know if anyone has received their new 15" PB and has NO problems with it?
Generally everytime someone complains about an issue it gets echoed by others until it is out of proportion. A lot of people get good systems. Get LCDs with no bad pixels. The people who get good hardware don't say much of anything, except maybe in response to questions like yours. However their responses tend to get buried by the people whining - even if the whiners have never seen the bad hardware themselves.

My opinion is that if there were any line production problems, they've been straightened out already. Apple pretty much jumps right on the problems like this when they get reported.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:06 AM   #5
RajK
macrumors newbie

I got my PB last week and I don't have any problems with it right now. I'm very happy with it.
RajK is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2003, 10:38 AM   #6
DigitalFr33dom
macrumors newbie

What type of Specs did you get on your powerbook? or did you get it default no things added, because I am ordering mine tonight but want to know how long the avarge wait is , on the (canadian) website it says 7-10 days or 3-6 if i get expediated shipping so i am wondering how many other people got a good powerbook???
DigitalFr33dom is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:32 AM   #7
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Powerbook G5 Send a message via Yahoo to Powerbook G5
Mine is perfect, not a single fault or complaint at all. It runs quietly, I have never once heard the fan come on or feel it get hot, the screen latches perfectly, the screen is beautiful and clear without dead pixels, and the DVD has not eaten any CDs. I am very pleased with the built and quality of this machine to the point where I have been tempted to send a feedback email to Apple to just praise them for giving me the best computer I have ever had.

As far as specs, the only things I have added BTO are the single DIMM 512 RAM and the 5400 RPM HD.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:33 AM   #8
willmg
macrumors member

Mine was 1.25GHz, Single 512MB chip, Superdrive, 80GB 4200rpm

Ordered Sep. 16 11:30AM

Recieved Sep 25 12:00PM
willmg is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2003, 11:47 AM   #9
Les Kern
macrumors 68030

Opened the box 5 days ago, and have been giving it a good look-over since. Easily the most solidy built laptop I've ever owned or even seen, MUCH better than the TiBook. This thing is solid. Makes me want the 17" now!
Les Kern is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2003, 12:33 PM   #10
dabirdwell
macrumors 6502

It's perfect.

Except for battery life. Dismal or inaccurately estimated.

Backlight is white, not blue, and awesome.
dabirdwell is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2003, 01:01 PM   #11
DigitalFr33dom
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Les Kern
Opened the box 5 days ago, and have been giving it a good look-over since. Easily the most solidy built laptop I've ever owned or even seen, MUCH better than the TiBook. This thing is solid. Makes me want the 17" now!
the battery life is ussally about half an hour to an hour longer than OSX says so lol, because i know some people who have their pb's it says like 2 hours and 30 mion, yet their at 3 hours of use and 20% of their battery left, and yes they were using it for some stuff
Old Sep 28, 2003, 01:05 PM   #12
stoid
macrumors 68040

Tack on another vote for good Apple products. I received mine on Friday and have used it almost continuously since because it is so frickin awesome. I am completely blown away by it's awesome craftsmanship. I give it 4.5 stars of 5 simply because with normal use, I only get about two hours of battery life, and I was hoping for a little more.
stoid is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:01 PM   #13
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

So is the battery life short, or is it inaccurately displayed? For myself, 3 hours is acceptable, while 2 hours is bad.

And does the screen come to you warped, or does it warp slowly over a few hours of use? Is it a manufacturing error on some of the machines, or is it because of the heat and pressure through its use?
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:03 PM   #14
DigitalFr33dom
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by stoid
Tack on another vote for good Apple products. I received mine on Friday and have used it almost continuously since because it is so frickin awesome. I am completely blown away by it's awesome craftsmanship. I give it 4.5 stars of 5 simply because with normal use, I only get about two hours of battery life, and I was hoping for a little more.
its inaccurately displayed
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:18 PM   #15
KBFinFan
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to KBFinFan
Yip, mine is pretty perfect too.

Lid closes fine, no warping, no dead pixels, latch keeps it shut.

Mine is 1.25Ghz w/ one DIMM of 512 everything else 'stock.'

The battery life is around 2 hrs, but this seems to be the norm.

Overall, switching couldn't have been easier.
KBFinFan is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2003, 02:32 PM   #16
Phatpat
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Phatpat
I got the standard 1.25, and its perfect. No complaints.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 07:35 PM   #17
drewcare
macrumors newbie

I've got the stock 1.25Ghz one, didn't change anything and nothing is wrong... no dead pixels, no warping, the screen isn't 100% flush with the base, but i'd rather have that then marks on my screen (but i still keep the packing that came w/ my powerbook over the keys just to make sure). all i have to say is, i'm in love. For battery life, I've seen anywhere from 2 1/2 hours to about 3. I haven't really timed it or anything, but I know that it hasn't run out of juce on me yet using it in my classes, or running around, although I plug it in whenever i have a chance, like the library, or in a lab.
drewcare is offline   0
Old Sep 28, 2003, 07:37 PM   #18
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

How are you guys getting 2 hours on battery? I turned airport and BT off and let it drain on the first day to calibrate and it took nearly 3 hours and 40 minutes to finally die. This was even during installing MS Office and listening to a CD off and on, too.
Old Sep 28, 2003, 08:55 PM   #19
Andrush
macrumors newbie

Cool nearly perfekt

stock 1,25 GHz, arrived on Thursday, everything's alright but a single pixle which is little lighter than the others. Nothing anyone would see if he doesn't know, I mean I don't really mind at last. HD is quite, screen is bright and backlight makes me a hard on
Perfekt machine, love it.
Love to apple for delivering it two days before my birthday, love to u all
Andrush is offline   0
Old Sep 29, 2003, 01:09 AM   #20
Mineral
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Mineral
Thumbs up

Mine has been flawless as well.

With airport running, I get about 3 hours on average of battery life (not looking at the battery clock in OS X.. real time). I could get 3.5+ I'm sure if I wasn't on the 'net.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 04:36 AM   #21
GrizzlyHippo
macrumors member

Thanks...

Thanks for the replies.

I figured this was the case, but not having read any positive comments on the new PB's I just wanted to check there were some out there.

For anyone interested, I've ordered the following spec though my local reseller:

1 - PB15 1.25Ghz, 1Gb ram, 60Gb 7200rpm hd.
2 - External Wiebetech MicroGB 800 HD enclosure to house the standard OEM 80Gb HD from the PB.

Can't wait for it all to arrive!

Grizzly

"Drink till you reboot" - Bender
GrizzlyHippo is offline   0
Old Sep 29, 2003, 08:40 AM   #22
Powerbook G5
macrumors 68040

Re: Thanks...

Quote:
Originally posted by GrizzlyHippo
Thanks for the replies.

I figured this was the case, but not having read any positive comments on the new PB's I just wanted to check there were some out there.

For anyone interested, I've ordered the following spec though my local reseller:

1 - PB15 1.25Ghz, 1Gb ram, 60Gb 7200rpm hd.
2 - External Wiebetech MicroGB 800 HD enclosure to house the standard OEM 80Gb HD from the PB.

Can't wait for it all to arrive!

Grizzly
Sounds good, these new PowerBooks are pretty amazing machines and I am sure you will enjoy yours.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 10:21 AM   #23
iPC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
How are you guys getting 2 hours on battery? I turned airport and BT off and let it drain on the first day to calibrate and it took nearly 3 hours and 40 minutes to finally die. This was even during installing MS Office and listening to a CD off and on, too.
Even casual web surfing uses up quite a bit of juice, due to the high hdd usage (not to mention airport). It is also a matter of cpu settings, screen brightness, volume level, etc.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:08 AM   #24
uptick
macrumors newbie

Also a new user of the 15" PB.
Picked it up from an Apple Store over the weekend - no warped hinges or dead pixels or scratches or fingerprints or any other noticeable blemishes. It's a solidly built laptop, and it feels that way .

Through first-hand experience, I have to say mine has a case of getting a high fever. Then again, maybe it's what I'm making it do: continuously rip CDs into iTunes. With the CPU, hard drive and superdrive running full-blast and in concert, the Powerbook gets hot (my concerns posted in another thread elsewhere). I surmise that if you're a low-intensity battery-conserving user, it should run cooler .

On the slot-loading superdrive, I wonder if that felt-like "lip" serves not only to keep dust out of the drive, but to sweep the disc surface of dust as it gets loaded in. When inserting a disc, it doesn't feel like the disc is centered in the slot. But it does suck the disc in rather voraciously when inserted to within about 1" .

Overtime, I wonder if all those exposed ports on the sides will gather much dust. Wish they could be hidden and covered just like the PC card slot is.

Last edited by uptick; Sep 29, 2003 at 11:11 AM.
uptick is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers