Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacManiac1224

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2001
NY
I am going to buy a new Powermac G5 1.8, and I was wondering, is it worth the extra $50 for the upgrade to the ATI 9600 when I am not going to be really playing games, just movies and stuff. What do you guys think?

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2003
nVidia Support

Is it true that nVidia's Mac drivers are terrible?

And are the nVidia drivers in Panther much better??

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Re: nVidia Support

Originally posted by Dr. No
Is it true that nVidia's Mac drivers are terrible?

And are the nVidia drivers in Panther much better??

Don't know about Panther...
But its not entirely true that the nVidia drivers are that bad.
The drivers are OK (AFAIK), but there are some differences between ATi's and nVidia's cards.
ATi support DVD Video playback better: more CPU offload.
Some games have trouble with the GeForce cards. MOHAA / SpearHead is reknown. Not speedwise, but some strange visual artifacts occur. I have seen them.
But UT 2003 runs better on nVidia's grfx cards.... (with about the same hardware specs as ATi's).
Playing movies or so is good on both.
Quartz Extreme is good on both too.....

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
unless money is very tight I would pay the $50 to get the 9600. Even though it doesn't sound like you need it that much, the 9600 is much better... if you ever decide to play games or do graphical work I think you'll find that $50 is a small price to pay for what is a fairly large difference between cards.

alxths

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2003
I agree with qcassidy... considering the performance difference between teh two cards..$50 is a great ' just incase' price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.