Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dhdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
I was across the room when I heard the processor fans start to kick in. I didn't think a thing of it at first, but they continued to spin up getting both louder and faster. This went on for about 30 seconds before I went over to the machine. When I moved the mouse, nothing. It was locked up. I could see the cursor on the screen but it would not move. I spent another 30 seconds or so looking at it (door off, shield on) and finally went for the power button. After rebooting it seems fine, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one this has happened to. Anybody? Bueller?

-dh

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Whilst I don't have a G5 I'm not surprised to hear that this happens. The fans are under the control of the OS and if the OS stops talking to the fan controller it is designed to spin the fans up to maximum speed to prevent damage to the machine. I would have thought that this would happen every time the OS crashes/hangs.

dhdave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 23, 2001
NJ
Originally posted by robbieduncan
Whilst I don't have a G5 I'm not surprised to hear that this happens. The fans are under the control of the OS and if the OS stops talking to the fan controller it is designed to spin the fans up to maximum speed to prevent damage to the machine. I would have thought that this would happen every time the OS crashes/hangs.

Good point. You are probably dead on. I haven't even had it 24 hours so that was the first and only time it happened. The most modern Mac desktop I have owned prior to this is a 7100, so for me this is somewhat of a leap even though I've had a PB G4 for a few months now.

-dh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.