Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 8, 2007, 08:03 PM   #1
bam1234567
macrumors newbie

Connect to a wireless printer.

Hi I have an eMac 1Ghz with 10.3.9 on it and I just bought a new Lexmark Wi-Fi Printer. I have no Extreme card, just a Netgear Wired/Wireless router thats obviously connected to my eMac via CAT5 cable. I set up the printer for wireless, hoping my eMac would use the router as a card-substitute type deal. Well it doesn't. It just says hey! can't connect as if it were not there.
Any suggestions?
~Thanx
Paul
bam1234567 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Fleetwood Mac
macrumors 65816

I've never had a Wi-Fi printer and I'm not sure how they work. Depending on that there may be a solution to your printing problem.

The first thing you should do is determine wether or not your printer is Mac compatible, and then if it is supported under OS X 10.3. If it is, there should be a section in the manual about the kind of setup. If the printer pulls an IP address from the router, and your router is set to create a LAN between all connected devices (wired/wireless) you should be able to connect to your printer using its IP.

What model printer do you have?

Last edited by Fleetwood Mac; Dec 10, 2007 at 01:25 AM.
Fleetwood Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 09:23 PM   #3
Mr9758
macrumors regular

Check out this page to see if it's compatible.
Mr9758 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 09:31 PM   #4
Fleetwood Mac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr9758 View Post
Check out this page to see if it's compatible.
The list that page links to has been removed. Try this one instead:
http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/seque...834_en,00.html

Last edited by Fleetwood Mac; Dec 10, 2007 at 01:26 AM.
Fleetwood Mac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 11:26 PM   #5
HLdan
Banned

I have an HP wireless printer that works well with my iMac. It really has nothing to do with being Mac compatible it's all about your Mac having a wireless card installed. Connecting a router to the eMac doesn't make it talk to the printer via Wifi you must have an airport card installed in the Mac.
The bad part is a friend of mine has a Canon Wifi printer and neither his nor my HP come with instructions on how to set up the Wifi. Thankfully the manufacturers for both have great phone customer service and they helped set them up.
But yeah, you will need an airport card.
HLdan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 06:55 PM   #6
bam1234567
macrumors newbie

Re:

Thank you HLdan, I just bought an Extreme.
bam1234567 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:37 AM   #7
SawTooth500
macrumors member

My HP 2510 came with setup disks in both Windows and Mac format.
You have to do all the settings in wired mode (cat 5 cable to router from printer, or to Mac from printer) and follow the screens. Should set it to wireless for you. Mine did.
Rage128Pro graphics card (original eq)
SawTooth500 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:09 AM   #8
garybUK

I have a Canon MP600R wifi printer/scanner/copier.

Basically if your e-mac is connected to the netgear via CAT5, just make sure the printer is connected to the netgear via wifi and install the Mac software supplied, it should work all okay.

Avoid the airport's usb printer sharing it's not as good.
garybUK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:10 PM   #9
buster123
macrumors newbie

buster123

...and now I'm really frustrated. My Macbook and my HP printer were quite happy talking to each other via wireless until I decided to switch servers from BT to Virgin. Out went the telephone WiFi connection; in came the super high-way fibre optic cable. Now I have high quality TV and phone but a deafening silence between computer and printer. Everything is still in place and the connections are as they were - i.e. wireless cable between printer and modem. The printer works; the Mac works. There are more lights flashing than on than my christmas tree but I'm stuck and can't think where its going wrong. I've tried closing down both units and booting them up again. Still silence. Anyone out there with a simple answer?
buster123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2010, 01:23 PM   #10
ITASOR
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to ITASOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by buster123 View Post
...and now I'm really frustrated. My Macbook and my HP printer were quite happy talking to each other via wireless until I decided to switch servers from BT to Virgin. Out went the telephone WiFi connection; in came the super high-way fibre optic cable. Now I have high quality TV and phone but a deafening silence between computer and printer. Everything is still in place and the connections are as they were - i.e. wireless cable between printer and modem. The printer works; the Mac works. There are more lights flashing than on than my christmas tree but I'm stuck and can't think where its going wrong. I've tried closing down both units and booting them up again. Still silence. Anyone out there with a simple answer?
If you gave your HP printer a static IP address, your IP scheme might have changed if your ISP gave you a different router. Try resetting the HP printer back to factory defaults and go through the setup again, telling it to automatically get an IP address.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help