Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
Is there any news on a mac 2142 update? BF was recently updated to version 1.40 with a new map so now when I play there are about 5 servers :/. Any news, or a place to download an update??

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Nothing yet. I'm so angry at EA for releasing this game and then not supporting it on Mac. Punkbuster doesn't update, we don't get updates for the main program, and the online play is almost gone due to this.

I'm not usually a so-and-so sucks kinda poster, but quite frankly EA sucks.

str1cken

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
FINALLY getting 2142 to run on your mac

I've been playing it on Boot Camp... but of course you have to buy a PC copy to play, or use the online EA store to get an internet download version that you don't need a DVD for.

You can use the same key that came with your mac version to play the PC one, but the regular retail version does a DVD check, which is a no-go for those of us with the MAC DVD version.

But I found a workaround.

Here is the SECRET TO MAKING THIS WORK:

We are all paying customers and at this point EA has clearly given us all substandard support and zero options. What we are asking for, a PC version for us to play on Boot Camp, is totally reasonable, well within their ability, and the right thing for them to do (to boot). What you should NOT do when you contact EA is to be verbally abusive, mean, swear, typing IN ALL CAPS ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS AND HOW MUCH THEY ****, etc.

Be polite but firm, and this will work. It did for me.

So here is what I did:

I poked around the investor pages for EA games, read a bunch of press releases and figured out the format for EA brass e-mail accounts, plus several of their names. I e- mailed these guys:

jbrown@ea.com,
jriccitiello@ea.com,
fgibeau@ea.com,

who are EA big guns and they referred me to this man:

John.Hargelid@dice.se

Who was able to get me a free copy of 2142 for PC so I was able to play in boot camp (which I do on a 2.4 GHZ core 2 duo imac with 2 gigs of ram with no lag and graphics on high).

It has been long enough for the mac users to be left out in the cold. Everyone should do this.

I hope it works for the rest of you!

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
the problem with that is I don't really want a boot camp copy. I don't want to run windows at all. that's why I bought a mac.

I'm glad they helped you out, but that doesn't excuse the piss poor mac support they've shown thus far.

str1cken

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2007
I absolutely agree with you. I was really annoyed when I realized, after I bought it, that it wasn't even a real port - that it was just an emulated windows version, with all the performance hits and and compatibility issues that emulation entails.

I've been an MS user since DOS 3.0, and I made a total and deliberate switch to Mac for probably a lot of the same reasons you did, and I'm thoroughly frustrated that the larger game developers (and even some of the smaller ones) haven't seen fit to do real Mac ports along with a level of support that dedication to a new platform requires. It's really, really frustrating and annoying.

I'm just trying to offer an alternative way to, on some level, get what you paid for.

It has been over four weeks now since the PC update came through, and the Mac servers have dwindled down to almost zero. It's a really atrocious business move to reach out to a whole new user base and then follow up their grand moves with piss-poor support and fake emulated ports.

But, for now, that's what we've got.

P.S. I dropped a few e-mails for the EA big guns in my previous post, so if you're not looking for a refund or a PC version, I'd skip the dice.se address and e-mail your complaints to the ea.com addresses I posted. Tell 'em how you feel.

FreedomFighter

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Sorry to go off topic,

but i was wondering what kind of performance you were getting with the Cider version of bf2142?

i herd that there was a lot of crashes and bugs. has that been fixed?

or has a patch come out at all yet or a are we waiting for the first one still.

reply is appreciated

Freedom

gogojuice

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2007
Ok.. that is great news.

But this is my problem.. I have the PC version and I would like to play on the mac without have to switch over to bootcamp.

Is there anyway to do that. I know B/C limits the amount of ram that you can use so I would rather have the game on the mac side.

Also.. can someone answer the above thread as to how the performance is on the mac side??

Thanks

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
Ok.. that is great news.

But this is my problem.. I have the PC version and I would like to play on the mac without have to switch over to bootcamp.

Is there anyway to do that. I know B/C limits the amount of ram that you can use so I would rather have the game on the mac side.

Also.. can someone answer the above thread as to how the performance is on the mac side??

Thanks

You'll need a mac cd/dvd in order to play. I won't go into work arounds as I think the game needs to be purchased.

To answer the other post, I have a 2.8g with only 2gram and my BF2142 runs great (now it does with all the graphics changes from Apple)

I have made some config changes to get the resolution I want but it runs fantastic.

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
UMM, that type of message from a new user looks totally like a spyware attack waiting to happen. If that update is really from EA/Dice, why is it not available????

I'm too scared to try it.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
UMM, that type of message from a new user looks totally like a spyware attack waiting to happen. If that update is really from EA/Dice, why is it not available????

I'm too scared to try it.

Trust me at least, it does work. I'm all happy and updated. And now I can see the EA + Dice logos!

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
Mine still crashes during the level loads. Any known fixes?

24" iMac
2.16 Ghz C2D
2Gb Ram
7600GT
1.40 BF2142
Leopard 10.5.1

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Ok, so I downloaded this from the apple.com/games link and it starts to update but then about 1/2 way through it crashes with "Some of the files have been modified! Please re-install" error message.

Anyone else? I have not installed any mods or anything except I did some manual punkbuster upgrades. Am I supposed to reinstall the entire game again???
:mad:

newboy4128

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2007
33.283534, -96.571851
Ok, so I downloaded this from the apple.com/games link and it starts to update but then about 1/2 way through it crashes with "Some of the files have been modified! Please re-install" error message.

Anyone else? I have not installed any mods or anything except I did some manual punkbuster upgrades. Am I supposed to reinstall the entire game again???

I am having the same problem.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

Your answer to "why?" :rolleyes:

pprior

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2007
Dude, that is NOT a game mod, and the game SHOULD be updating the punkbuster files automatically. the fact that we have to manually download them is yet another screwup by the EA folks.

If you don't update punkbuster, you get kicked from online games. It's a well known bug and reported here before.

Punkbuster files are supposed to be updated as they release updated client side files frequently. If this patch crashes because of that, then it's yet another embarrassment for what supposedly passes as mac gaming.

Fluk3

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2007
BF update

This happened to me as well.

All I had to do was delete the BF 2142 folder from applications, then reinstall from the DVD, then run the update.

Now the game loads fine and I can join servers without manually updating PB.

bov

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco
can mac and PC players play on the same servers? i am considering gettng BF2142 because im getting bored and need a game to play on my MBP!

giganten

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2006
Does it work on leopard whit the update?
I did install it today first time after I got Leopard. But I cant do anything after the login screen there you pick your soldier.

Thelonepiper

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2007
Ok, I finally got the game working by reinstalling the game. However, every time I play an online game now, the mouse freezes up on me just as I get onto the server. Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.