Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 9, 2007, 03:06 PM   #1
Gerard.
macrumors member

Transmission problems

Ive noticed today, when i went to torrent some movies that when i add them, its not creating the file on my desktop, or anywhere on my mac But it still says its downloading? at the moment ive downloaded 62mb of a torrent and still no file has been created for it? Can anyone help me with this?
Old Dec 9, 2007, 03:11 PM   #2
Taylor C
macrumors 6502a

The latest build seems to be buggy from my experiences with it as well. Quitting the application always causes it to hang, requiring a force quit.
Taylor C is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 03:18 PM   #3
Gerard.
macrumors member

yea i find that too, ive noticed the more torrents you have, the longer it hangs.. it usually takes around 5 seconds for it to quit on its own.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 07:43 PM   #4
giyad
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard. View Post
Ive noticed today, when i went to torrent some movies that when i add them, its not creating the file on my desktop, or anywhere on my mac But it still says its downloading? at the moment ive downloaded 62mb of a torrent and still no file has been created for it? Can anyone help me with this?
Check out the transmission forums. It seems as though its the new version .95, if you can try and revert back to .94
giyad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 07:54 PM   #5
Iamtherealwoody
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Iamtherealwoody Send a message via MSN to Iamtherealwoody Send a message via Yahoo to Iamtherealwoody
Does it show the file when you click on the magnifying glass by the torrent in transmission?
Iamtherealwoody is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 03:11 AM   #6
Gerard.
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamtherealwoody View Post
Does it show the file when you click on the magnifying glass by the torrent in transmission?
nope
Old Dec 10, 2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Woody2099
macrumors newbie

Quit problems

I have been running T for a month now w/ no problems. Latest update has killed it.
My custom settings were blown away, the downloads are not showing up to the default or custom folder or desktop.
Also, if you shut it down, it loses all progress on any current files downloading.

Brutal release; but good product.
Woody2099 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:38 PM   #8
reubs
macrumors 68000

Here's a link to 0.94, but 0.96 just came out.

http://download.m0k.org/transmission...ssion-0.94.dmg
reubs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:20 PM   #9
spriter
macrumors 6502a

As much as I like and want to use Transmission, the 0.9x releases have been terrible in my experience.
  • Crashing bad on Quit
  • Ultra-slow download speeds
  • Screwed port-mapping
  • Files bloating up then not working
  • Files part downloading then restarting from 0% if you reload the app (not fun when you waste Gbs of bandwidth)
  • Hash checks seem totally random and inaccurate

I came back when 0.72 was released and trialled it for a good while until 0.82. They did not suffer as badly but downloads are not as quick as other clients. Once 0.9x hit, problems again. Thus, sadly, I'm stuck with Azureus again. Somehow I always go back to it but it seems quite OK thesedays. Not keen on the Vuse thing at all, though but speeds are lightning-quick and it finds many more peers than Transmission ever did.

Reading the Transmission forums form the 0.96 tests, I can't be certain the bloating files and loss of part downloads is 100% fixed. Hopefully Transmission can return to glory soon.

Note 4 Duos : 1+1: 5s : M7 Dual : X1: rMini
spriter is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 02:20 PM   #10
Gerard.
macrumors member

hmmm. I cant use Azureus, it dosnt have the option to configure which files your downloading within the torrent, which is vital to me. Ill just have to downgrade transmission and stick it out
Old Dec 12, 2007, 02:34 PM   #11
Mydel
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to Mydel
Yeah 0.95 was terrible. But hey! its work in progress, its free and really nice App.
0.96 is touch better, though still crashing on quite and takes all my RAM (4Gigs!!). Thats only app Im having pageouts actually
0.82 is much better choice for now
Mydel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 02:41 PM   #12
phillipjfry
macrumors 6502a

I don't know about all these issues you all are experiencing with Transmission but I know that it will eat your time machine drive if you don't exclude the download folder. .95 has worked like a charm, but I will give .96 a go and see if anything happens.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 03:06 PM   #13
killmoms
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to killmoms Send a message via Yahoo to killmoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard. View Post
hmmm. I cant use Azureus, it dosnt have the option to configure which files your downloading within the torrent, which is vital to me. Ill just have to downgrade transmission and stick it out
Wait. What? Azureus had that feature LONG before Transmission ever did. When you open a torrent in Az, that list of files below with checkboxes can be used to select which files you want to get.
Azusa: 64GB iPhone 5, Nagato: 16GB WiFi Retina iPad Mini
killmoms is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:04 PM   #14
GSMiller
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmoms View Post
Wait. What? Azureus had that feature LONG before Transmission ever did. When you open a torrent in Az, that list of files below with checkboxes can be used to select which files you want to get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydel View Post
Yeah 0.95 was terrible. But hey! its work in progress, its free and really nice App.
0.96 is touch better, though still crashing on quite and takes all my RAM (4Gigs!!). Thats only app Im having pageouts actually
0.82 is much better choice for now
Yes you can indeed do this in Azureus. I didn't know you could do it in Transmission
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:11 PM   #15
heatmiser
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMiller View Post
Yes you can indeed do this in Azureus. I didn't know you could do it in Transmission
You can, but you have to select it after the torrent is already added to your client. It's incredibly stupid. You've got to go to the info page, etc, and click them, or click the little gear beneath the torrent and select there. This is why I have torrents to load as paused instead of as started, so I can uncheck stuff if needed. Of course, back when I ran XP, I had µTorrent, which *automatically* brought up a box upon torrent download that allowed you to sign off on what you wanted to get, or simply press enter to get it all.

As I said in a different post, I honestly can't believe there isn't anything close to µTorrent for OS X yet. It's absolutely incredible. Windows users (like me) take that program for granted; it's hands-down the single best client in existence, bar none. Yet there's nothing like it available for Macs. I'm still kind of shocked. I'm going to give Deluge a try when my MB comes tomorrow, because on the surface, it looks somewhat similar, but it still boggles the mind that OS X doesn't have a standout client yet. I mean, seriously, how many years has it been since bittorrent came out?
heatmiser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:13 AM   #16
martin5211
macrumors newbie

slow downloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriter View Post
As much as I like and want to use Transmission, the 0.9x releases have been terrible in my experience.
  • Crashing bad on Quit
  • Ultra-slow download speeds
  • Screwed port-mapping
  • Files bloating up then not working
  • Files part downloading then restarting from 0% if you reload the app (not fun when you waste Gbs of bandwidth)
  • Hash checks seem totally random and inaccurate

I came back when 0.72 was released and trialled it for a good while until 0.82. They did not suffer as badly but downloads are not as quick as other clients. Once 0.9x hit, problems again. Thus, sadly, I'm stuck with Azureus again. Somehow I always go back to it but it seems quite OK thesedays. Not keen on the Vuse thing at all, though but speeds are lightning-quick and it finds many more peers than Transmission ever did.

Reading the Transmission forums form the 0.96 tests, I can't be certain the bloating files and loss of part downloads is 100% fixed. Hopefully Transmission can return to glory soon.
That worked! Thanks.

I'm using Transmission 0.72 on Leopard 10.5.1 now. Newer releases (including 1.04) works very slowly on my mac. I've revised ports and firewalls and all seems ok.
martin5211 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 06:34 AM   #17
bjornense
macrumors newbie

I've switched to BitTorrent 4.27.2, for the time being anyhow. Works like a charm on SL!
bjornense is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:46 PM   #18
mac-matt
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornense View Post
I've switched to BitTorrent 4.27.2, for the time being anyhow. Works like a charm on SL!
you really felt the need to comment on a thread thats been dead for over 2 years to add a piece of useless information......
mac-matt is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store