Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr9758

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
I've been reading these forums for quite a while now and I think there is one major thing missing: what is the best way to rip a dvd for playback on :apple:TV?

- Mac the Ripper --> Handbrake
- Handbrake on :apple:TV preset
- VisualHub

Which of these is the easiest? Best quality?
Any other programs that I don't know about which implement the functions of MetaX or similar?

kkat69

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
I've been reading these forums for quite a while now and I think there is one major thing missing: what is the best way to rip a dvd for playback on :apple:TV?

- Mac the Ripper --> Handbrake
- Handbrake on :apple:TV preset
- VisualHub

Which of these is the easiest? Best quality?
Any other programs that I don't know about which implement the functions of MetaX or similar?

I'm using Handbrake to convert my movie collection for use on AppleTV and iPod. 25 movies so far and counting.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
For the best quality, use an external ripper (like MtR), and the AppleTV preset in Handbrake. It isn't as fast as some of the other options out there, but it utilizes some of the advanced x264 options that will give you a better quality encode.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
handbrake with 2 pass :apple:TV preset gives great quality. I heard that if you rip it first then encode it is easier on the DVD drive so it isn't starting/stopping throughout the prolonged encode but I don't know if that is true or not. I use MTR for ripping.

Mr9758

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a question about handbrake: the AppleTV audio preset is Track 1 Mix: Dolby ProLogic II. Would it make sense to change that to Dolby Surround in case the :apple:TV supports surround in the future? Will it sound any worse/better in the meantime?

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a question about handbrake: the AppleTV audio preset is Track 1 Mix: Dolby ProLogic II. Would it make sense to change that to Dolby Surround in case the :apple:TV supports surround in the future? Will it sound any worse/better in the meantime?

In order of quality, best to worst:

1. Dolby Digital or DTS 5.1 surround sound (6 channel discrete sound)
2. Dolby Pro Logic II (5 channel matrix sound: L, R, C, Lr, Rr)
3. Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Surround (4 channel matrix sound: L, R, C, LR rear mono)
4. Stereo
5. Mono

Your ATV already does 2-5, so if your DVD has DD, DTS or DPLII, then you should encode your Handbrake files as DPLII (the Apple TV Preset default in Handbrake). If you connect your ATV to a receiver that supports DPLII (best through Toslink cable, but RCA stereo cables work, too), then you will get 5 channel surround sound (DPLII). Encode in this: it won't hurt the audio at all if you can only decode stereo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.