Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Nakamura
macrumors newbie

AppZapper vs AppCleaner

I have been looking at the 2 applications AppZapper and AppCleaner. I was just wondering which is the better application. I don't mind that you have to pay for one and not the other. From the screenshots AppCleaner looks like it is better than AppZapper because it has a list of Applications, Widgets to choose from where as AppZapper doesn't. What are your opinions?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:31 AM   #2
newappleboy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to newappleboy
I personally use AppZapper, and it actually does have a list of the applications on your computer, as well as widgets. Since I'm not at my Mac right now (using a stupid Windows 2000 machine at work...) I can't remember exactly, but I believe there should be a little genie's lamp in the bottom left corner that when clicked gives a list of everything on your machine. I've been very satisfied with AppZapper so far. Hope this helps!
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Dedonut
macrumors newbie

AppCleaner

Re: AppCleaner: I know how it removes an unwanted app and related files, but I can't find an explanation (perhaps no one else needs one) of what the other features of AppCleaner do for sure. The Widgets Tab: I assume it lets you review, select, and delete individually, but under the Others Tab, I have 14 files displayed, ( e.g., AdobePDFViewer.plugin, Flash Player.plugin, iPhotoPhotocast.plugin, BOINCSaver.saver, AppleIntermediateCodec.component) and others. I don't know if this is showing me unnecessary files from previous versions of these apps or if these are files currently being used and I don't want to delete them. I use Adobe, and iPhoto, BOINC (a SETI manager) and probably Flash Player (if it's necessary for some websites). I just don't know and can't find what the Others Tab is showing me. Can anyone tell me?
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:17 PM   #4
Michaelgtrusa
macrumors 601

I would go with appzapper.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 05:59 PM   #5
miles01110
macrumors 604

AppZapper and AppCleaner are almost carbon copies of each other. AppCleaner is free, and does just as good of a job. AppZapper is also no longer supported, essentially.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:07 PM   #6
mhnajjar
macrumors 6502a

AppCleaner
mhnajjar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Wowzera
macrumors 6502a

These applications search your computer for the application name, you don't need a program to do it, there's lot of shell scripts that can do the job (search files on all system). I prefer to do this way
Wowzera is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:20 PM   #8
celticpride678

AppCleaner. It is free, AppZapper is not. They both do the same thing, and I feel AppCleaner does it better than AppZapper. Like another user already said, AppZapper is no longer supported, so that means no updates. However, AppCleaner gets updated a good amount. I'd go with AppCleaner.
celticpride678 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 08:20 PM   #9
toxictrix
macrumors 6502a

I have them both but use Appcleaner. Mainly because Appzapper is not really supported anymore. Also, some places I have read say Appcleaner catches things Appzapper does not.

Such as this site:

http://appcleaner.en.softonic.com/ma...lete,appzapper
toxictrix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:12 PM   #10
rKunda
macrumors 65816

I keep AppCleaner for backup, but I've been using AppTrap.
rKunda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 02:36 AM   #11
dmbfan41
macrumors regular

AppCleaner works perfectly fine for me
dmbfan41 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 02:51 AM   #12
warning9
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to warning9 Send a message via Yahoo to warning9
I usually use AppZapper, but I also have recently installed Hazel. I "Zapped" about 5 or 6 applications with AppZapper, and as soon as I went to empty the trash, Hazel popped up and found some items that AppZapper didn't. So, I guess now I use a combination of the two.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 04:31 AM   #13
kasakka
macrumors 65816

What about AppTrap vs AppCleaner? Both free but does AppCleaner do something AppTrap doesn't? I like how AppTrap is very unintrusive and simply works by dragging an app to the trashcan.
kasakka is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:42 AM   #14
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
AppZapper is also no longer supported, essentially.
Why do you say that? I was probably going to get appzapper until I saw this post. Can you or someone else elaborate on this?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 06:28 AM   #15
fhall1
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Why do you say that? I was probably going to get appzapper until I saw this post. Can you or someone else elaborate on this?

Because the last update to the program was Dec 2006
fhall1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2009, 07:26 AM   #16
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhall1 View Post
Because the last update to the program was Dec 2006
Ohhhh, I had not known that (given the fact I don't own the app).
Old Dec 5, 2009, 11:26 AM   #17
lilskaterpunk
macrumors regular

I think AppCleaner is the way to go!
Like mentioned above, AppZapper is not longer supported (2006) and I noticed AppCleaner does catch more files (Not sure if thats good files though...) then AppZapper does. For instance I tried to drag an application from the application folder to both of these programs and AppZapper posted 5 files to be deleted and AppCleaner found 16 files to be deleted. When I checked to see what files were found that AppZapper didnt find was crash reports.
lilskaterpunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 11:50 AM   #18
jon08
macrumors 65816

AppCleaner. It's free plus it sometimes picks up more app leftover files than AppZapper. And yeah, AppZapper is apparently no longer supported, too.

So just go with AppCleaner. But I personally use AppDelete, which is even better than the two, but costs $7.99 though.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:00 PM   #19
lilskaterpunk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon08 View Post
AppCleaner. It's free plus it sometimes picks up more app leftover files than AppZapper. And yeah, AppZapper is apparently no longer supported, too.

So just go with AppCleaner. But I personally use AppDelete, which is even better than the two, but costs $7.99 though.
Im wanting to try AppDelete over AppCleaner, some reviews from other sites say its preferred over AppCleaner. I can try the trial version I guess...
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:02 PM   #20
jon08
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskaterpunk View Post
Im wanting to try AppDelete over AppCleaner, some reviews from other sites say its preferred over AppCleaner. I can try the trial version I guess...
Yeah, you can try both of them side by side and compare how many leftover files of a certain app they will pick. My own experiment proved AppDelete usually picked up more.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:07 PM   #21
roadbloc
macrumors 604

I used to use AppCleaner, but now I use CleanMyMac.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:11 PM   #22
lilskaterpunk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
I used to use AppCleaner, but now I use CleanMyMac.
CleanMyMac looks really good but from reading comments, its a program that you should be carful with as for deleting files. Many user's deleted certain files and then applications stopped working... Is AppDelete a one click type program or is it simple to use?
Im totally new to Mac and trying to find whats best to use for certain programs.
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:14 PM   #23
jon08
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilskaterpunk View Post
CleanMyMac looks really good but from reading comments, its a program that you should be carful with as for deleting files. Many user's deleted certain files and then applications stopped working... Is AppDelete a one click type program or is it simple to use?
Im totally new to Mac and trying to find whats best to use for certain programs.
AppDelete is pretty simple to use. Just open it and drag the app you want to delete into it, and it will automatically look for any files associated with that very app. Then you hit the "Delete" button and you're done!
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:45 PM   #24
lilskaterpunk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon08 View Post
AppDelete is pretty simple to use. Just open it and drag the app you want to delete into it, and it will automatically look for any files associated with that very app. Then you hit the "Delete" button and you're done!
Sounds good! Im trying it out now and very simple and I like.
So far AppDelete and AppCleaner are my recommended applications to use
Old Dec 5, 2009, 12:49 PM   #25
jmann
macrumors 604

Location: On a bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
Send a message via Skype™ to jmann
I like apptrap. I don't like having to open another application to delete everything.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store