Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
I use a Line 6 Tone Port UX1, its a box the has guitar and mic inputs with a usb out to the computer. Musicians Friend is a great place to find boxes like this. Here is the link to my model: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...X1-USB-RecordingModeling-Interface?sku=249700

Thats not in my budget range but thanks anyway!:eek:

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Techn...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1197320750&sr=8-1

I have this and it works like a charm. I've tried the cheap 1/4 -> 1/8 converter but it was very problematic unlike this cable. It is a great first way to get your guitar hooked up to your mac.

That looks nice and simple... Is the sound quality good?? Are you sure that will plug into the line in of my MacBook?

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
That looks nice and simple... Is the sound quality good?? Are you sure that will plug into the line in of my MacBook?

Absolutely sure, as I use it with my MacBook. Once you plug it in you'll have to change settings in GarageBand and SystemPreferences to use the Line In instead of the built-in microphone, and you'll be all set!

Tarkovsky

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2007
London/Norwich
I was laughing at the dollar. But it turns out you're Brittish. And no worries. That griffin line in thing is a waste of money IMO as the macs line can usually be used for guitars, it doesn't sound pretty, but neither will a £20 usb dongle.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The relatively crappy line-in will work only slightly worse than the cheap relatively crappy separate units in terms of a 'getting results quick & dirty' sense. Best to use what you get for now if you want to save, and the converter plug will do the job just fine.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
Match311: That Line6 box looks like exactly what I've been looking for too! I'm about to get my first Mac (Jan 15th - new Mac Pro :)), and it looks like it works not only with guitar but also with bass guitar, which will be great for me.

One question I have though - what's with all the "amp modeling" stuff? Does that mean it will make your guitar sound like it's playing though a different type of amp? And if so, can you hear it through your external speakers? (I'll be plugging up a decent Logitech surround sound system to the new machine.)

Thanks for the link!

-Bryan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.