Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Hello,
i just recently reformated my MacBook like 2 weeks ago I have no pictures, or movies on my machine. I tried using Handbrake to make a copy of a dvd for my ipod which I've done a million times in the past. The movie didn't rip correctly, and then I see a message about my hard drive being almost full so I look and there's only 612mb left out of 80 gb any ideas what to check, or do? Is there a virus, or some crap out there that can fill up your HD?

Help I'm loosing my mind!!!!

Mitch1984

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2005
Telford
I had this problem once, I'd exported an iMovie into a super quality quicktime video.
I found out what it was through doing some commands in the terminal, but I cannot remember where I found the instructions.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
This is often caused by runnaway log files.

Get a program like WhatSize to find out where all of your space has gone.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
What is a core dump and how do I do it?

You don't want to do a core dump. I forget what the file is called; something like '.core_dump'. Anyway, open Terminal app and type 'ls -al' (without the quotes) and see if there's a file in there that starts '.core', and if so, see what it size is. To get rid of it, type 'rm .core...' where .core... is the filename.

If there's no such file, then your problem lies elsewhere.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
<<Have you emptied your trash? If so, open your hard drive in column view and sort by size (make sure Calculate Sizes is turned on). You'll find out quickly where the space is going.>>

How can I get this into this mode? I have it in column view, and then sort by size but dont see calculate size.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I used WhatSize and found a file that's 40.4 GB it's user/chris/library/filesync/0017f2f5d5f0/my.name_iDisk./bands/ in there there are tons of folders labled example 5.14 MB 2509 (various sizes and labels is this the culprit, and can I delete it?

chris

Cave Man

macrumors 604
<<Have you emptied your trash? If so, open your hard drive in column view and sort by size (make sure Calculate Sizes is turned on). You'll find out quickly where the space is going.>>

How can I get this into this mode? I have it in column view, and then sort by size but dont see calculate size.

Once you're in column view and it's the front most window with your hard drive selected, go to View -> Show View Options. There's a selection for Calculate all sizes. Only works in Column View, though.

jbg232

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2007
There is a post somewhere about this issue. I think it's an idisk known problem. I suggest searching the forum and apple support website for something like "hard drive full idisk" or something of the sort. I believe it has to do with an endless loop of resyncing with idisk without deleting the files. But I've been wrong before...

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I think your probably right I do sync a lot because I design webpages on more then one mac and keep the files on my idisk

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
There is a post somewhere about this issue. I think it's an idisk known problem. I suggest searching the forum and apple support website for something like "hard drive full idisk" or something of the sort. I believe it has to do with an endless loop of resyncing with idisk without deleting the files. But I've been wrong before...

Here

ClassicBean

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
Torontoland
I had this problem once and it was Handbrake's fault.

Go to /library/logs/console/ and look for massive log files. Then delete them. I can't remember if this is the library in the hard drive or the user library. Check both.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
its still jacked up when I resyncd my iDisk it put the files back but I don't know how iDisk won't hold 40 gb of anything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.