Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
What are the PowerMac sales numbers against iMac sales numbers? I ask this, since Motorola is seemingly being replaced by IBM.

However, as the PowerMacs and PowerBooks transition to the IBM G5, the iMacs, eMacs, and iBooks move to high-speed G4s. I can't help but think that the iMac/eMac/iBook range sells significantly more processors than the PowerMac/PowerBook spectrum.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
I think you are forgetting a few things, G5s are cheaper then g4's, G5's are faster and more powerful then g4's and with the new 90nm process this 4th qtr g5's will be producing less heat & use less power. by jan2005 i think g5s will be in every product except ibook.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
I think you are forgetting a few things, G5s are cheaper then g4's, G5's are faster and more powerful then g4's and with the new 90nm process this 4th qtr g5's will be producing less heat & use less power. by jan2005 i think g5s will be in every product except ibook.
Where are you getting your prices from? I've never seen a price for a G5 chip from IBM.

The info that I saw for a 7457 chip was something like $137 for a 1ghz chip.

How does the 970 compare with that?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
$135 in quantity if im not mistaken i read somewhere and that was 1.6 so who wants to mess with moto? they never meet target dates etc,, also the yeilds from ibm were way higher then moto's, and top of that fat,fat busses are the future and this is where the g4 is way behind g5. now with all that said i like my 1.4 g4 and hope that will hold me another year or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.