Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:00 PM   #1
theworstkids
macrumors newbie

Error Code 0

I am trying to transfer some videos from one external HD to another external HD through my MacBook Pro. I copy the whole folder but only half get transfered, the other comes up with an Error Code 0. Can anyone help? Thanks.
theworstkids is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 03:57 AM   #2
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

how big are the files? Error code 0 is an "unidentified error". For example, you get error code 0 when you transfer files bigger than 4gb to a fat32 HD.
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:10 AM   #3
theworstkids
macrumors newbie

the file is about 5 gigs. should i make it smaller?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 04:10 PM   #4
MacsRgr8
macrumors 604

I have had that happen to me when I was trying to copy a file (no matter what size) to my Server (Mac OS X Server 10.5.1).

Only after I rebooted the server did the error go away...

Have you restarted your Mac?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 08:20 PM   #5
theworstkids
macrumors newbie

yup. still nothing
Old Dec 18, 2007, 06:58 PM   #6
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

yeah make your files smaller. probably over the file size limit.
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2008, 08:42 PM   #7
MajinHS
macrumors newbie

meeh

i got the same problem, but i`ve made a transfer to my external hd of a 70gb folder, after this it doesnt allow me to do no big transfers...
plz help, hehe ty

[]
MajinHS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 12:11 PM   #8
Tinieblas
macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem, except it's only with certain file types. Ex: I've got a 38 GB .iMovieProject file that I can transfer to my external hard drive with no problems, but if I try to move a .dmg file that's larger than 4 GB it won't let me. (I'm using a Western Digital 500 GB external hard drive formatted as Fat32) I only get the error for .dmg files. I can transfer any other folders or file types... Don't know what's up with it...
Tinieblas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2008, 08:47 PM   #9
asweets
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinieblas View Post
I've got the same problem, except it's only with certain file types. Ex: I've got a 38 GB .iMovieProject file that I can transfer to my external hard drive with no problems, but if I try to move a .dmg file that's larger than 4 GB it won't let me. (I'm using a Western Digital 500 GB external hard drive formatted as Fat32) I only get the error for .dmg files. I can transfer any other folders or file types... Don't know what's up with it...
If ANY drive is formatted as FAT32, you cannot put files larger than 4 GB on the drive. Perhaps with your iMovie project the extension is just the container extension, what looks like a single file to you is really like an archive in that it's made up of many smaller files (chapters, clips, etc).
asweets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 06:55 PM   #10
Weebler

I have a .mov file that I need to transfer to a windows machine. How can I get around this? I can have it formats in NTFS or FAT32 and I cant transfer anything while in OS X. If I have it MAC OS formated it wont appear in Windows... and I am new to Mac...
Weebler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 04:58 AM   #11
hob
macrumors 68020

Use an NTFS drive and install MacFuse and NTFS-3G on your mac. Then you can read/write NTFS.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:27 PM   #12
dave3c
macrumors newbie

WD external harddisk error 0

I am on mac book pro. I have a lacie drive with video edit files as well as quicktime movie files. I need to back up te files and give them to my client. I went out and bought a western digital passport essential drive to back the files up to but i keep getting the error message when attempting to transfer the file. I can go buy another hard drive as I have already used all my project budget, and the 4 Gig limit (which for a 320 gig HD is ridiculous) is the issue. Is there any work around for this. My format options when doing 1 partition are as follows...

1. Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
2. Mac OS Extended
3. Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive, Journaled)
4. Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive)
5. Free Space

When I select the free space option it tells me it cant unmount the disk. Please help deadline fast approaching
dave3c is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:28 AM   #13
b4badshah2003
macrumors newbie

error code 0

go to this web site this sued help u out if u want to move any size file to your External Hard Drive
I stoped at the "8th step" and it works for me
good luck

( http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...ing_tiger.html )
b4badshah2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 01:40 AM   #14
b4badshah2003
macrumors newbie

error code 0

make sure people that pass this on to different website also so people can solve there problem regarding Error Code 0
again the website is

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...ing_tiger.html

thnx.
b4badshah2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:41 PM   #15
janmillan
macrumors newbie

if i do a disk partition will it erase everything else i have on my external hd? i want to have 3 partitions
janmillan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2010, 04:32 AM   #16
janat
macrumors newbie

Doesn't resolve issue. Can't transport 6GB file to windows.
janat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2010, 06:26 AM   #17
nzreprezent
macrumors newbie

Similar Boat

I can relate to this macpro -> xp... in the past no problems, then all of a sudden, bam! All the drives I use display error 0.

This may possibly be the first time I have transferred a single 4gb+ file though (this time in the form of an iso)

Really frustrating because I left my ipod at work, and dvds are just slightly too small.

Any ideas if Ethernet to Ethernet would accept it?
nzreprezent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2010, 05:48 AM   #18
edharding
macrumors newbie

Split and Concat

I got around the 4gb size limit with some of my movie files by using Split and Concat, to split the file down and then piece it back together. Worked a treat.
edharding is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 01:52 PM   #19
AverageTy
macrumors newbie

Error Code (0)

All I did was go into Disk Utility with the flash drive/ex. hard drive plugged it, erase the device, rename it, but instead of formatting it as "FAT" do the first option (I think it's MAC OSX (Journaled)? Works fine for me!
AverageTy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 08:23 PM   #20
Primejimbo
macrumors 68030

I got Transformers for iTunes and got the HD version. With getting the HD version, you also get the SD one too. Combined it's over 5GB, is there a way to separate the HD and SD versions so I can transfer them to an external hard drive for back up?

EDIT: I decided to re-format the back up drive as stated above and works nicely. I thought this would be more of a pain and it's not at all.

Last edited by Primejimbo; Jan 17, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Primejimbo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:01 PM   #21
johnny b goode
macrumors newbie

@averageTy: "All I did was go into Disk Utility with the flash drive/ex. hard drive plugged it, erase the device, rename it, but instead of formatting it as "FAT" do the first option (I think it's MAC OSX (Journaled)? Works fine for me!"

thnx, worked perfectly
johnny b goode is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help