Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:12 PM   #1
izzysanime
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to izzysanime Send a message via Yahoo to izzysanime Send a message via Skype™ to izzysanime
Old mac keyboard to usb adapter

Hi,

I have an old mac keyboard (the old big white one from my mac 5400). I have a large monitor hooked up to my powerbook and its keyboard is hard to use since i have to have the screen down, so i dont like any new keyboards and i still love the old one. Is there an adapter for it to a usb port?

Thanks,
Josh
izzysanime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:19 PM   #2
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Sounds like you need a PS/2-to-USB adapter. Most stores that sell computer parts should have them for $5-10. Make sure you get the female PS/2-to-male USB one.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:34 PM   #3
izzysanime
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to izzysanime Send a message via Yahoo to izzysanime Send a message via Skype™ to izzysanime
hmmm, i think ps/2 is a pc thing, not mac, right? I just checked, the ps/2 adapter that came with a pc keyboard had 2 more pins than the mac. Is that ok though?

Thanks,
Josh
izzysanime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:44 PM   #4
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Oh, you're right...I wasn't thinking.

Older Macs used ADB. Adapters are somewhat rare these days, but they are around. Here is a dual one for $30, but it's shipping in 2+ weeks. RadioShack sells the iMate for $40.

Might want to think about a new keyboard as a cheaper/same cost option unless you're really attached to that keyboard.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:51 PM   #5
izzysanime
macrumors newbie

I have looked at many different keyboards. As much as I'm a fan of mac stuff, I hate that the keyboards are so small, i like them being thin, but i need more keys. I would like one that maybe has a big return key (like the on the older apple IIGS keyboards ^_^) and the power button. I will get a new keyboard i guess at those prices.

Thanks,
Josh
izzysanime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:55 AM   #6
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

Ressurrecting the topic, I'd like to use an old Mac LC II keyboard (ADB interface) with my USB-only Macbook.

I bought a PS/2-to-USB adapter and I've broken the plastic piece that prevented ADB connector from fitting to PS/2 slot. I found that ADB is not so compatible to PS/2 despite the similar connections so I would like to know if anyone tried a DIY solution or something I could buy on Ebay.

Thanks!
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help