Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:40 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Apple's Mac market share rise is good for consumers

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Apple's Mac market share rise is good for consumers
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Dec 11, 2007, 01:01 AM   #2
IEatApples
macrumors 6502a

I just feel like saying "WORD!"
IEatApples is offline   0
Old Dec 11, 2007, 03:39 AM   #3
nagromme
macrumors G5

Hmmmm.... maybe I'm missing something. The article says that 29% of respondents now plan to buy a Mac. And this is an amazing increase in just two years... from 27%? (16% notebook + 11% desktop.)

That's only 1% a year the way I read it.

And later they refer to 24% as "most."

I don't doubt that there's a big trend toward more Mac users, and I agree that if other companies start to copy Apple successfully that will be nice--but I wasn't easily able to dig the facts out of that article.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:57 AM   #4
rjfiske
macrumors regular

new math?

Yeah I too am confused. I saw an article a few days ago here:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ibd/071207/tech.html?.v=1

Among talking about the mac market share was a reference to the same poll. "The latest ChangeWave consumer poll found that 29% of likely notebook and desktop PC buyers in the next 90 days are planning to get a Mac. That's higher than consumer purchase intent for HP laptops (21%), HP desktops (24%) and Dell laptops (28%). But Dell had higher demand for its desktops (31%).

The trend line is clearly up for Apple. Two years ago, 16% of likely notebook PC buyers and 11% of desktop PC buyers planned to buy Macs."

nagromme, as you said... a 1% increase?
rjfiske is offline   0
Old Dec 11, 2007, 02:46 PM   #5
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
According to the original article, 29% of laptop consumers will buy a Mac laptop, and 29% of desktop consumers will buy a Mac desktop. That is a massive improvement, if true.

I'll believe it when I see it though. Their previous forecasts in the same chart don't seem to have come true either.

Report (PDF)

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion