Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Is it possible to buy a US iPhone, take it to the UK and activate it on O2? Does anybody know?

Thanks

Richard

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Sorry - your wrong!

If you update to 1.1.2 then it WILL work with O2 you just need an O2 contract SIM in the phone when you connect it to itunes.

It appears the 1.1.2 update unlocks the phone for any SIM that has the iPhone available in that country officially (O2 in UK, T-Mobile in Ger, Orange in Fra)... it has been mentioned on several threads already and it certainly is an interesting little development!

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
Sorry - your wrong!

If you update to 1.1.2 then it WILL work with O2 you just need an O2 contract SIM in the phone when you connect it to itunes.

It appears the 1.1.2 update unlocks the phone for any SIM that has the iPhone available in that country officially (O2 in UK, T-Mobile in Ger, Orange in Fra)... it has been mentioned on several threads already and it certainly is an interesting little development!
I beg to differ. You do not seem to understand the term unlocking. What you describe is not unlocking. There is no unlock available as yet for 1.1.2. (with the possible exception of using TurboSim, which can cost a packet and therefore defeats the object of saving a few quid by getting an iPhone from the U.S.A.).

What you are talking about is jailbreaking and bypassing activation. Different thing entirely.

Jailbreaking and bypassing activation allows you to use any O2 sim on a U.K. iPhone, any T-Mobile sim on a German iPhone, or any AT&T sim in a U.S. iPhone. It does not work across the board.

You cannot cannot jailbreak etc a U.S. (1.1.2) iPhone and then use an O2 sim in it!

An unlock for 1.1.2 is only expected once 1.1.3 is available.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Im gonna go out on a limb and say yes it will work. After the release in the UK i inserted an O2 sim card into my US phone that had just been restored and iTunes recognised it and was willing to allow me switch my tariff to an O2 iPhone specific tariff even though its not a UK phone but rather a US one that shipped with 1.0.1

Look here to find out more.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Im gonna go out on a limb and say yes it will work. After the release in the UK i inserted an O2 sim card into my US phone that had just been restored and iTunes recognised it and was willing to allow me switch my tariff to an O2 iPhone specific tariff even though its not a UK phone but rather a US one that shipped with 1.0.1
You are talking about an unlocked 1.0.1 iPhone. Times have moved on quite a bit. 1.0.1 is now two software versions out of date. Those shipping now are 1.1.2.

Another thing to consider is whether the OP is wanting to activate with an official O2 iPhone tariff (which I do not believe O2 would allow using a locked U.S. iPhone) or whether he wants to activate and use any other O2 sim.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I beg to differ!

It IS NOT Unlocking the phone if it is for an O2 SIM card!

It is only unlocking if you want to put a different SIM in it.

Assuming the guy wants to activate a new iPhone contract on a new O2 contract SIM card but the phone is a US phone then it WILL WORK
as long as it is updated to 1.1.2 which offers support in the firmware to O2 SIM cards.

I know the difference between unlocked and not unlocked very well thanks! lol

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
You are talking about an unlocked 1.0.1 iPhone. Times have moved on quite a bit. 1.0.1 is now two software versions out of date. Those shipping now are 1.1.2.

Another thing to consider is whether the OP is wanting to activate with an official O2 iPhone tariff (which I do not believe O2 would allow using a locked U.S. iPhone) or whether he wants to activate and use any other O2 sim.

I don't know the answer, but I think you are not understanding what they are saying. These people are saying that now that the iPhone is on O2 and other carriers, the software version allows use of any of those SIM cards without doing any unlocking. I don't know if this is true, but if it is that would be pretty cool.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
I know the difference between unlocked and not unlocked very well thanks! lol
Quite obviously you don't, otherwise you would realise that to use a U.S. iPhone (which comes locked to AT&T) on O2 is not possible without it being unlocked, and at the moment no unlocking method exists for 1.1.2. short of spending quite a lot on a TurboSim (which would defeat the object of saving a little money by sourcing the iPhone in the U.S.A.).

It is irresponsible of you to give advice which is plainly wrong and could result in someone like the original poster importing a phone which turns out to be unusable. After all it is him and others like him, not you who would have to suffer the consequences and financial loss,

May I remind you that it was you who made the following erroneous statement in post no. 3 of this thread:

It appears the 1.1.2 update unlocks the phone for any SIM that has the iPhone available in that country officially (O2 in UK, T-Mobile in Ger, Orange in Fra)...

It does nothing of the sort! I have done extensive research on this topic, and last week managed to jailbreak and activate a brand new 1.1.2 U.K. iPhone to work on a non-iPhone O2 sim. I used the following knowledgeable guide which I suggest you read:

http://hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=15849

If you can be bothered to read it and the very long thread that follows it, you will see that it confirms what I say:
1. You cannot unlock a 1.1.2 iPhone.
2. The best you can do is to jailbreak and activate it to work with any sim card from the carrier to which it is locked.
3. Therefore, a U.S. iPhone can be made to work with any AT&T sim, a U.K. iPhone with any O2 sim, a German iPhone with any T-Mobile sim etc etc. It is not a mix and match situation.

Thake a look at the FAQ on the first page of the guide if you want further confirmation:

F.A.Q:

Q) Can this tutorial work on German iPhones / US iPhones?
A) Yes it does.

Q) My iPhone won't work with <insert name> simcard! Whats going on?!
A) If you can read, this guide does not tell you how to UNLOCK your iPhone. It allows you to jailbreak & pass activation. Therefore, a UK iPhone running 1.1.2 will only work on O2 simcards, a DE iPhone running 1.1.2 will only work on T-Mobile, and so on...

Please be sure of your facts before posting misleading information. :)

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
...I think you are not understanding what they are saying. These people are saying that now that the iPhone is on O2 and other carriers, the software version allows use of any of those SIM cards without doing any unlocking.
I understand precisely what is being suggested. Please see the previous post for an explanation.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I over simplified what I meant to try and avoid confusion! But you took it literally.

I manually using command line hacked a US phone 3 times so I know more than most people here I would imagine!

There is ONE type of firmware IT IS NOT specific to the region your in or when downloading firmware to iTunes it would give you regional downloads and it doesn't. US and European phones ALL have the same 1.1.2 firmware.

This 1.1.2 firmware has support for AT&T in the US and O2 in the UK and T-Mobile in Germany and Orange in France. So if a contract SIM is put into the iPhone it WILL work from any of those networks in those networks in those countries and will take you to the country specific activation page. This is common knowledge and based on people putting regional SIMs in 1.1.2 phones and getting the activation screen and therefore the iPhone will work with those SIMs.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

spinstorm, clearly you are right and the true experts on the thread that I referred you to are completely wrong and are talking utter rubbish!

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
there is lots of conflicting advice on hackint0sh -some of it is correct and some is confusing.

I firmly believe based on what people have done with 1.1.2 phones and various SIM cards that what I am saying is right and makes sense but I can't test it myself so I think the moral is that either find somone to test it out OR just see what happens when he does it himself.

I have a 1.1.1 US phone and as soon as independence is updated to work with 1.1.2 I will upgrade and let you know if the phone tries to activate the O2 SIM in my phone (although I am unlocked with IPSF so it will work anyway).

say33d

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
hi all

been a reader of macforums for a while now and today i just had the burning urge to join, lol

had to clear this post up. i HAVE a U.S 1.1.2 OTB iphone right next to me....first thing i tries was to stick in an o2 sim i know works in a jailbroken UK iphone. What happened??....NOTHING....it wont work....just says incorrect sim. Tried everything....whole process of downgrading, restoring, updating....still nothing...just wont work.

The guy who was put in an o2 sim in his U.S iphone was using a 1.02 unlocked iphone which he may have updated which probably explains why he had the o2 activation screen.

anyways...hope this clears things up once and for all :cool:

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

Just as I said. Thank you.

mackstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2004
Thanks

had to clear this post up. i HAVE a U.S 1.1.2 OTB iphone right next to me....first thing i tries was to stick in an o2 sim i know works in a jailbroken UK iphone. What happened??....NOTHING....it wont work....just says incorrect sim. Tried everything....whole process of downgrading, restoring, updating....still nothing...just wont work.

The guy who was put in an o2 sim in his U.S iphone was using a 1.02 unlocked iphone which he may have updated which probably explains why he had the o2 activation screen.

Thanks all for your messages, especially this one, I didn't want to jailbreak the phone in order to use it in the UK, just thought I may be able to get away with paying 400 dollars for one rather than 269 pounds,

I am not really wanting to take risks with it, just wanted to know if it work out of the Box, but the answer in a safe environment seems "NO", so I will just buy it in the UK.

Thanks again

Richard

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
my understanding is that it has to be a contract O2 SIM that has NOT been used before for the iPhone to try and activate it.

Of course I may be wrong but putting an already working SIM in the phone will clearly not bring up activation and only an error but having said that if you want to go for the easiest option get a UK phone!

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I updated my US 1.1.1 phone to 1.1.2 tonight and guess what happened when it connected to iTunes?

YES! it asked to be ACTIVATED ON O2! this is an american iphone and all it needed was a firmware update to 1.1.2 to support O2 and it wanted to activate.

So who is wrong now? lol Maybe it is best that people try it for themselves to find out!

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007

Still you I'm afraid. All you have had is an online message inviting you to sign up for an O2 Contract. Not the same thing as a 1.1.2 U.S.iPhone actually functioning on O2.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
lol it was working - it said O2 in the corner of the screen and it asked me to activate it.

What more could you want? I could have activated it legitimately but I decided to use the hack instead as I didn't want O2 asking me why two phones were activated on one contract at a later date!

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
By the way, i updated from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2 yesterday and it still asked me if i wanted to Activate with O2 and when i put my original AT&T sim in, it then asked if i wanted to activate with AT&T. After activating (not via iTunes) the phone looked like i had bought a UK OTB phone. Everything down to the carrier logo font/spacing was the same.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
O.K. I'm not sure that it is clear from either of your posts precisely what you have (in the way of hardware), what you have done (in the way of unlocking, jailbreaking etc), and exactly what you have managed to achieve (eg what carrier you are operating on and on what basis).

Can either of you say, hand on heart, that you have managed to do any one or more of the following:

1. Unlock (i.e. release to any carrier) a 1.1.2 iPhone, without using TurboSim or some such expensive product; or

2. Have a U.S. 1.1.2 iPhone that has not been hacked in any way, and operates on an official O2 iPhone tariff; or

3. Have a U.S. 1.1.2 iPhone that has been 'jailbroken' (not unlocked) and works with any O2 sim.

If the answer to 1. is yes, then I would be suitably impressed. If the answer to either 2. or 3. is yes, I would be surprised.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I have an Unlocked/Jailbroken US phone but i unlocked at 1.0.2 using IPSF and have simply been updating ever since

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
My friend from the UK is visiting me over the holidays in Texas. I have a locked AT&T iPhone and he has a locked O2 iPhone. We are going to switch SIM cards when he gets here and I will let you know if it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.