Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

indierthanthou

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Tired of that plain old white face? Want to spice up your iPod? I did, and since I had to disassemble it to replace the screen, I thought, “why not paint it?” This will be a step by step tutorial on my method of painting an iPod. This is for the iPod 4g photo, your iPod might be different. If you mess it up, I’m not buying you a new one.

1. Disassemble your iPod. I won’t go into detail on how to do this, as there are plenty of instructions available on the internet. If you want to paint the center button, you will probably have to remove and disassemble the click wheel. On the front plate of the iPod, you will see a metal plate. GENTLY pry this off. Be careful when removing this, as there is a ribbon cable underneath. Then take apart the click wheel, I followed this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzzsOP9qc2g

2. Mask off the clear plastic screen. I also masked the inside of it, so overspray wouldn’t cover it.
SP_A0416.jpg

3. Prime the face plate and button. I used rust-oleum primer, because that’s what was in my dad's garage. That’s also why I chose the sparkle blue gm paint, from his old (now wrecked) sierra.
SP_A0417.jpg

4. Once the primer dries, paint the iPod. I used this stuff from dupli-color.
SP_A0419.jpg

That lid was a PAIN to get off!
SP_A0420.jpg

Finished paint
SP_A0421.jpg

5. Recoat if necessary. I used 2 coats of paint.

6. *optional* I sprayed a layer of clear coat on, not sure if it will make a difference. I also noticed that most of the scratches (except for the ones that I made when I was cutting the masking tape) were gone. The screen is still scuffed, does anyone know what I can use to clean them up?

7. After clear coat dries, remove masking tape, reassemble iPod, and enjoy your new color!
noname.jpg

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
Looks really nice! I probably wouldn't be brave enough to do such a task myself. I'd like to see how well the paint holds up in daily use though.

indierthanthou

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I just used dupli color auto paint, it was in my dad's garage, touch up paint from the old sierra he wrecked. I am sure there is a better paint to use, the reason I used what I did was because it was convenient and free, and I liked the look.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
I don't want to sound rude in the least bit, but...the title of this thread along with the pics just makes me cringe:mad:

Don't get me wrong, it looks pretty good, but I would never do something like this. I just feel that it ruins any resale value or worth of the iPod in general.

But if it makes you happy then it is 100% worth it! I just felt like posting my personal honest opinion. You did do a very good job though...I'll give you that!

indierthanthou

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I agree that it would harm the resale value...but so would having a broken screen, would it not? I mean, it's a 4g photo, when new 30gb ipods are available for $250, how much is the 20gb photo worth anyways? I wouldn't have done it had the screen not been damaged in the first place.

I don't mean to sound argumentative or defensive, and I appreciate your commendations and opinion

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Hey I didn't know the screen was broke. In that case it's a whole other story...paint away! It looks good!

I agree that it would harm the resale value...but so would having a broken screen, would it not? I mean, it's a 4g photo, when new 30gb ipods are available for $250, how much is the 20gb photo worth anyways? I wouldn't have done it had the screen not been damaged in the first place.

I don't mean to sound argumentative or defensive, and I appreciate your commendations and opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.