Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Sep 29, 2003, 11:57 PM   #1
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

12, 15, 17 powerbook? Which one?

Wow, I know this question has so many factors that go into the decision, but I need some help. I presently have a 12" iBook 900 and love it, but can't stop drooling over the new powerbooks.

I don't mind the 12" screeen, but something larger would obviously be pleasant. I just feel that if I simply get a 12" Powerbook, I am just getting a new case (that's faster).

Apple has priced the 15" so close to the 17", that I feel I should just spring for the 17 and call it a day. But look what rationale I just used...I went from a 12 to 15 to 17 in a matter of seconds. I've been doing this for several weeks now, and it's driving me nuts.

I do travel a lot (flying, etc) and have a bag that is sufficient for the 17" and my work laptop (Thinkpad). I do have a concern about placing both computers (if I got the 15/17 inchers) in with my Thinkpad. See, once you start putting a lot of items in a backpack (my work bag wears like a backpack) it starts putting stress on the items in it. That said, do you thin, the 15/17" screen is too large to handle weight on it (i.e. would the screen be at significant risk for breaking with a Thinkpad against it)?

Just am looking for a reason to get a single model. I know everyone has their opinion, and that is what I am looking for.

What do you guys think?

Note 4, iPhone 6+, iPad 4, 15" rMBP, SP3, Lumia 1020.

coolbreeze is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2003, 01:27 AM   #2
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Why do you need to bring a Thinkpad AND Apple laptop with you? Do you do this with your current 900MHz iBook? If you do, then aren't you better off buying a G5 Tower and placing that in your bag instead of your 2 laptops? You may as well bring your coffee-maker with you, too.

Getting the 12" PB when you already have the 12" iBook is stupid, especially since your iBook is so recent and fast. The 12" PB isn't worth your money unless you sell your 900MHz iBook. Even then, it may not be worth the extra cost + performance enhancement.

If you get a 15" PB, and you have a Thinkpad that I'll presume is 14.1" or 15", why do you need to ever bring your 15" PB with you?? Or maybe I should ask you why you need to bring your Thinkpad with you when you already have a similar laptop in your bag already?

The 17" is too big to fly around with regularly. I'll also presume that you got your 12" iBook in order to have a smaller unit to fly with.

I say stick with what you have. Of course, its not my money, so do as you will.

Last edited by Abstract; Sep 30, 2003 at 01:30 AM.
Abstract is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2003, 02:34 AM   #3
yujini
macrumors member

I'd say go for the 15.
I don't think you can fit the 17inch on the trays when u are on a plane unless if you are in a 1st/business class couch.
yujini is offline   0
Old Sep 30, 2003, 03:25 AM   #4
m4rc
macrumors 6502

I say go with the 15" PB. It will be significantly faster than your iBook, the bigger screen is much more useable, and it is more practical than the 17" - which really is a desktop replacement.

Why do you need a windoze machine and an Apple in your bag? It won't break any speed records, but the PB will more than happily run Virtual PC with all of your PC applications, and the 80Gig HD will hold plenty of files. I can see no logical reason to be carrying round 2 laptops, so go with the 15", max it up, and be happy!
m4rc is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers