Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Dec 12, 2007, 03:22 PM   #1
flbwhite
macrumors newbie

Help, G4 MDD Dual 867

I would like to continue using this computer but it is beginning to show its age. The USB ports seem to be failing. The mouse that was connected to a port at the rear of the screen began freezing occasionally and then every time on startup. I plugged it into the other port on the rear of the screen with no success and then a port on the keyboard and it worked. Also, a USB hub that is plugged into the tower stopped working until I plugged the hub into an electrical outlet. The hub always worked before with no power assist. Any thoughts on possible solutions?
flbwhite is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Best thing to do would be to buy and install a PCI USB card, something like this one. They're pretty cheap and very easy to install.

Here's another for $25, for instance.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 03:38 PM   #3
Consultant
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Best thing to do would be to buy and install a PCI USB card, something like this one. They're pretty cheap and very easy to install.

Here's another for $25, for instance.
PCI cards typically will disable Deep Sleep on the G4, especially when connected to storage devices (hard drive, memory card, thumb drive, etc.). That means you might not be able to sleep the G4 with a PCI USB or PCI firwire card.

Have you tried a different mouse?
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 03:41 PM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
PCI cards typically will disable Deep Sleep on the G4, especially when connected to storage devices (hard drive, memory card, thumb drive, etc.). That means you might not be able to sleep the G4 with a PCI USB or PCI firwire card.

I believe that's an old problem related to certain cards and Panther; got a 733 QS and a 1.25 dual at work both with Sonnet USB and FW800 cards in them that have no problem sleeping.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 03:54 PM   #5
flbwhite
macrumors newbie

Yes, I tried a different mouse. Same result. One other tibit.... I am buying another computer from the Apple Business sales and while discussing this problem with the sales person from Apple, he indicated that he had the same problem and it was his logic board. Not sure about his qualifications to make a diagnosis but if he is correct, it appears the board replacement may be worth more than the computer. I really dislike trashing something that could be of use to me or someone else.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 03:56 PM   #6
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Can you run the hardware test from your install disks if you've still got them? That might flag something before going down one route or the other...
Old Dec 12, 2007, 04:17 PM   #7
flbwhite
macrumors newbie

The hardware test shows "USB setup error" and then at the bottom of the page, "1 4 3 failed to respond".
Old Dec 13, 2007, 01:38 PM   #8
Jonny427
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flbwhite View Post
The hardware test shows "USB setup error" and then at the bottom of the page, "1 4 3 failed to respond".
Hrm... same thing happened to my 3 year old PC. I'd just follow the above suggestions and get a cheap PCI usb card

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs