Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alfie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
Hi Fellow Mac'ers......
My Dilemma Is i was told of a audio recorder free download called audio recorder 3.13444e..?....
i have been using this but the sound quality is pony when i record my set..i'm using line in/out from the back of my mixer to my mac....
i'm using decent leads and equipment so i put this down to the audio recorder software...
Please if any one can point me in the right direction for a decent audio program it would be most appreciated....

I await your reply,,,,,with suspense....:D

Kindest regards

Alfie

Tarkovsky

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2007
London/Norwich
For different software use ardour or audacity. Both are free. Google them.

Ok here are some considerations.
You're recording vinyl, which has very different strengths and weaknesses to digital music these are
-Vinyl can actually get down to 20hz (realistically this impossible on CDs)
-Vinyl can get up to over 20khz
-Vinyl is an actual production of the waveform
-Vinyl has a large dynamic range

-Cds have very good treble response in the region of 10-14khz
-Cds use sample at 41.4 hkz so can't record any sound over 20kz
-Cds only a limmited dynamic range compared to vinl

Modern recording however
-Can use 24 bit dynamic range, allowing bass around 20hz
-Can sample at up to 192khz, the macs sound card can go up to 96kh
and therefore -can record sounds of up 46khz - most speakers can't respond to this though

Question: Aren't these frequencies are outside of the human audible spectrum?
Answer: Yes but they are important in the sonic composition of hearing as a whole

So then what does all this mambo jimbo mean?
You should record at 24bit
-but as Zim (poster) so rightly informs us you should record at only very low volumes so that you avoid digital distortion. This actually means very very low because most meters won't show you transients (very quick little spikes in volume) that are really important and will sound nasty if recorded wrong.

But what can you do?

Make sure your software is recording @ 24bit 96khz
Keep the levels low low low
Consider upgrading to an interface with a good pre and DAC (people rave about the apogee duet, i've never used it) or use a friends
-if you're having lots of very nasty distortion the mixer level is too hot for the mac

Alfie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
confusion???

Hello ..thanks for your reply....
i tried to download audar,,,,its now asking to install x11?...
then i tried audicity...this downloaded quick, now i cant change the input to line in/out...any help would be appreciated,,,,
thanks for the rest of the input a well on frequencys...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.