Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
I have a Dual 2.3 G5 with 4.5 GB of RAM with a recent upgrade of Leopard. I've had this basic hardware config. since I got it in 06 - so I am doubting the RAM ( from Crucial) as an issue.

Here's the rub: I have been having various issues with Leopard (click my name to view some of my posts re: this fact).
Now, one of the more annoying issues is: sometimes it will go to sleep "halfway". Meaning - desktop goes away, a few sounds are made by the tower of shutting down - but the fans continue to blow... If I hit the space bar (or any key for that matter - or mouse) it will not resume. I cannot get it to awaken.

And most concerning - the fans will slowly build to a frightening level! I let them go (a few minutes ago) for about 5 minutes to see if they would eventually come down or shut off - I had to stop it by a hard restart, because they wouldn't stop elevating!!!

I've read around the web that this was a concern for some of the G5's, but I've never had this problem in the nearly two years I've had this. It was only after Leopard upgrade (I installed clean on a separate internal Hard Drive) that this behavior reared its ugly head.

Last night, I had finally a successful G5 sleep - but I had to close all apps (itunes, ical, iphoto, entourage, itunes, safari) except finder. Usually I wake up to it on - it apparently wakes itself at some point in the night.

Any thoughts?

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
you are not alone...

junker -- I have the exact same problem (with a Dual 2.5 PowerMac G5) ... I see you posted two months ago -- any solutions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.