Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Apr 21, 2013, 04:16 PM   #1
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Games for Mac?

What are some awesome free/paid games for Mac? I am running OSX 10.8.3 on a MacBook Pro retina, 16GB RAM, 2.6GHz Quad core intel i7, 512 GB SSD.

Last edited by AppleDeviceUser; Apr 21, 2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Changed 10.8.2 to 10.8.3
AppleDeviceUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
labars
macrumors member

Download Steam and check their Mac section.
labars is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Laco
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by labars View Post
Yes this. I really enjoy Assassins Creed 2 and Assassins Creed Brotherhood. They are some of the best games ever made.
Laco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:34 PM   #4
AppleDeviceUser
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by labars View Post
Is that illegal?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:05 PM   #5
glsillygili
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
Is that illegal?
yup. and its being monitored by the fbi 24/7 so dont download it
glsillygili is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:06 PM   #6
doh123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDeviceUser View Post
Is that illegal?
of course its legal... Steam is a content delivery platform. If you want any good games through Steam, you have to pay for them still. Its just as illegal as Apple's Mac and iOS Stores.
doh123 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Laco
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsillygili View Post
yup. and its being monitored by the fbi 24/7 so dont download it
haha http://store.steampowered.com
Laco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:02 PM   #8
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Steam, Origin and Mac App Store are all good places to get Mac games. On the Mac App Store, be sure to do searches on Feral and Aspyr for a bunch of very good games. I'd recommend visiting the Feral and Aspyr web sites also and signing up for their mailing lists so you know when they are offering new releases.
Dirtyharry50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:42 PM   #9
glsillygili
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
Steam, Origin and Mac App Store are all good places to get Mac games. On the Mac App Store, be sure to do searches on Feral and Aspyr for a bunch of very good games. I'd recommend visiting the Feral and Aspyr web sites also and signing up for their mailing lists so you know when they are offering new releases.
origin is complete crap and i hope you realize that
glsillygili is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2013, 04:45 PM   #10
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Origin works perfectly for me, starts up fast, no negative issues in any way, shape or form purchasing and playing games from there.

I hope you realize that your experience with Origin (if you actually have any) is not indicative of all users experience.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:43 PM   #11
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

The OP wanted advice on good games. Recently I played 2 that really impressed me:

-Limbo
-Bioshock

Limbo is a simle scroolling game, with artistics graphics and very interesting and challenging puzzles.

Bioschock is a current game and one of the best shooters I played. There is also Bioshcok 2.
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 01:03 AM   #12
Lichqueen
macrumors newbie

And one more:

http://www.macgamestore.com/
Lichqueen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2013, 02:13 AM   #13
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

Batman arkham asylum, arkham city, braid, bioshock, grand theft auto...

We have more options than most people will admit.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 03:53 AM   #14
Washac
macrumors 68000

Try some old and some newer stuff from GOG ( Good Old Games )

http://www.gog.com/

They used to be PC only now they have a Mac section, but run Bootcamp and you have tons of games to choose from.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 05:10 AM   #15
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentaluproar View Post
We have more options than most people will admit.
Yep, here's a list of the ones Feral have released.

You can buy them via download, DVD or Mac AppStore.
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:43 AM   #16
pojo1806
macrumors 6502

Loving League of Legends at the moment, it's 100% and works for Mac.

Also bought Portal and Portal 2 when they were on sale on steam, finished the first one and I loved that too.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:30 AM   #17
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
While I generally have a dislike for most things EA, Origin is not one of them. The client works better than Steam in both OS X and Windows.
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:38 AM   #18
edddeduck
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku View Post
While I generally have a dislike for most things EA, Origin is not one of them. The client works better than Steam in both OS X and Windows.
Just as an FYI all Feral games on Origin use Feral's DRM and don't have any Origin DRM or licensing agreements. The Mac version of a Feral game from Origin is EXACTLY the same as you get from our own stores!

Kudos to EA for allowing developers to mix and match between their own system and custom ones like the DRM we developed in house.

Edwin
edddeduck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:46 AM   #19
saturnotaku
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post
Just as an FYI all Feral games on Origin use Feral's DRM and don't have any Origin DRM or licensing agreements. The Mac version of a Feral game from Origin is EXACTLY the same as you get from our own stores!

Kudos to EA for allowing developers to mix and match between their own system and custom ones like the DRM we developed in house.

Edwin
Interesting.

Incidentally, while I own the Arkham games for Windows, I did purchase Asylum from the App Store, but missed City when it was on sale from Origin last week. I might hit up the local MicroCenter to pick up a DVD version as App Store downloads can be horrendously slow.
saturnotaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 02:15 PM   #20
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by edddeduck View Post

Edwin
This is good to know. I just bought all the Feral LEGO titles available on Origin when they were on sale recently.

I wish Black and White 2 was available via digital distribution btw. I tried the demo on the Feral site and enjoyed it. I tried to buy it on the Feral Store but sadly there was no downloadable option, just the boxed copy.

This is a great game. How come it isn't on the App store? Does Apple impose some limit on how old titles are or something? The demo ran perfectly for me on OS X 10.8.3.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:34 PM   #21
mentaluproar
macrumors 65816

Apple has a certain customer-centric DRM that not all companies agree with, so they sell elsewhere.