Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eye.surgeon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
California
I just replaced my last iphone because the touch screen stopped working. This new phone locks up or freezes while "asleep" in my pocket and when I pull it out to make a call the screen is black and pushing any button will not wake it up/turn it on. I have to do a hard reset by holding both buttons for 10 seconds to reboot it.

This is happening about once a day and it's a PITA. I've tried a restore from itunes and it didn't make a difference. The phone is unhacked and not messed with in any way.

Anyone else having this issue? Anything I can do to fix this or should I take it in to my apple store for a loaner/exchange? I'm starting to think these phones are glitchy having 2 now with problems.

TDH74

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2008
iphone freezing

I just bought a 16gb iphone and this is exactly what's happening to me. Every time I pull it out of my pocket it's dead. Did you find a fix? If so, can you email me?

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
Mine just started doing this yesterday -- has frozen twice in the last day. Its an 8gb Refurb bought from AT&T. I've had it about a month and it is not jailbroken or unlocked. It has worked fine until yesterday.

sportykid2332

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2008
yeah it's been happening with mine too, but even worse. I can not get it to turn on just by resetting it. I have to plug it into a power source to jump-start it (kind of like a car battery).

carsonw2001

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
I got the same problem no matter I downgraded both the firmware and baseband version to 1.1.3.

However, it works fine if I restore and then don't do any unlock/jailbreaking/activation. Does it mean that it is not the hardware problem?!

By the way, when I plug my iphone to the PC, the itunes will access itunes store before I can access the iphone. Is it normal? I am wondering if it's the problem cause.

Thanks.

zmit

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
mine has done it on occassion as well. not lately though. ive had mine for about 2 weeks, and hasnt done it for a week. my thoughts is it *may* be application related. mine is unlocked and ive installed many different apps. i removed some that might have been the cause, but i have no way of confirming it.

given that yours is unlocked, i would say that its something else.
for all we know, it may be a firmware bug. my old windows mobile 6 phone did the exact same thing some times as well.

if you feel like it, you could try downgrading back to 1.1.3 and see how it goes.

danoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
My 3G has started freezing up overnight. The home button does nothing when I try to turn it on in the morning. Plugging it in and holding both buttons for 10 seconds has gotten it started both times. So far its ok during the day.
Should I return it? How common is this problem or is it something I'm doing wrong?

danoon

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
This probably has nothing to do with the problem but i deleted "Break" and "Talking Spanish Phrasebook" last night and the phone started normally this morning.

Guess we'll see what happens in the next few days.

redrocketb

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Happened for the first time to me

It's a locked 3G, naturally running only apps from the App store. Put it to sleep on the way home, got home 10 minutes later and it wouldn't wake up. Had to do the hard reboot. I thought Mac products were supposed to "just work," but this is the latest and most serious of the many bugs I've encountered (Safari crashes, Apps crash, Mail crashes, etc.).

chickenpotpie

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2008
Getting rid of the last 3 apps I'd added (Mobile News Network, NetNewsWire & Crash Bandicoot) seems to have fixed it for me. I'll add them back in one at a time to see which (if any) was the culprit. Thanks for the suggestion!

mrtrilby

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
FWIW, my day old iPhone 3G just locked up whilst sleeping too. I've not added any applications to it yet at all. All I've done is synchronise it with Exchange, take 4 pictures, and pair it with my car.

I'm wondering if it's the bluetooth to the car that caused the problem - it was repeatedly pairing and unpairing. Apps (email and photo) then became unstable and restarted a few times. It then locked.

Or the bluetooth could just be a symptom of the instability. Either way - 3rd party apps aren't responsible for my iPhone freezing whilst sleeping.

Hard reset sorted it out. Thanks to this forum - otherwise I'd have been panicking unnecessarily about getting a replacement when there is no stock about.

dibesh

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
hmmmmm

same problem used to occur in my iphone too...but i fixed it.....i restored it to factory setting then used ziphone to unlock activited and jailbreak............
then my problem sloved....try ur's too might me problem get's fixed...

huskerwr38

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2008
I have had the same problem too. I just posted about it in the iphone forum, probably wrong place. But, after texting someone I put the phone to sleep then it wouldn't turn back on. I took it to the Apple store and they plugged the charger back in and it popped back on. That same night, I was going to bed and I pushed the home button and nothing happened. Then I plugged it in and it popped back on again. It hasn't happened for about a day now. I will delete some apps as well and see what happens.

redrocketb

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Well, I don't have bluetooth on, so I vote for the symptom rather than cause of the problem.

I have noticed, however, that the Mobile News Network app has crashed my Iphone since it first wouldn't wake up. Just starting the app one caused it to immediately go back to the black and white apple startup image. I've gotten rid of that app and we'll see if it does it again. So far, no more "doesn't wake up from sleep" incidents.

LouiseDC

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
Help

hey all, if anyone could help i would really appricate it!

I have an iphone 8GB about a month old if that. Was workin great the occasional mess up but nothin major. My phone was unlocked when i recieved it so i could use any sim card i wanted. I kept gettin the update box to 2.0 unfortunatly i decided to click and install so it restored my settings on my phone which ment i had to get an O2 simcard which was fine but now it keeps freezin and staying like that for hours and also now it keeps rebootin its self, when i plugged it in to the comp it said i need to restore to fix it, i done so but now it keeps rebooting.
Im slowly losing patience with it and im now at the point where i want to smash it!

If anyone has any ideas what so ever please reply and let me know.

Much appricated.

Louise

redrocketb

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2008
Getting ridiculous

Yesterday, I used the iphone after my nightly full charge ('cause that's mandatory with the battery life) for maybe 25 minutes on wifi. Made a few short calls over a few hours, so that it got to maybe 60% battery life. Not great, but whatever. Then I put it in my pocket for perhaps two hours (definitely sleeping) only to take it out and find the battery critically low. That's weird.

Today, same amount of usage, starts getting to low battery, and I notice that it's kind of hot to the touch after sleeping for a few minutes. Not good. So, I decide to turn it off and turn it on again (I've been raised on Windows). Go ahead and do that, still warm after sleeping. So I say, screw it, I'm deleting these apps I have downloaded. Do that. Get oaut of the wiggly screen after deleting five apps, and the iPhone is unresponsive: I have the home screen, but tapping any icon does nothing, neither can I scroll to the side in the home screens. Wait a minute and then, black screen with the Apple logo. It starts up again, half the apps are still there. Delete again. Wait a minute--black screen again, half the apps I deleted are still there.

If I need to do a restart after deleting an app, ok, I can handle that (see windows reference above). But at least tell me about it. Of course, it's much more likely that the apps, all from the App store, all running on my locked iPhone, are causing the iPhone to restart. And I still don't know what was causing it to run hot and destroy my battery life while sleeping.

For the record, apps were: (First time) French Dictionary, CheckPlease (new version), Baseball stats, that TapTap game, and the metronome app. Second time, checkplease, baseball, taptap, metronome. Third round, no reset. So who knows which app, if any, is to blame. Also, had 3G and Wifi on for much of this time, 3G reception is pretty good where I am (2-3 bars, usually).

jessi21

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2009
same problem

i dont have any applications so i dont think this is the problem. i fixed it by holding the on button and the menu button for a full ten seconds. However i spoke to apple and they reccommend going into
itunes---devices----iphone---(back up data first) then restore. this is the first thing apple will do if you send it back anyway.
but as long as it isn't damaged by you or in contact with water they will replace it if this doesn't work

bdomin

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2009
iPhone Freezing

Same here... For me it's about once/week. I'm not running anything unauthorized on it or anything. Seems to happen most often when I'm using the iPod functionality. :confused: and :mad:

kumakap

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2009
Mine does the same thing

I think it is an undocumented feature :)
Seriously, as far as I can remember, mine started doing this after the last software update. It happens a lot, but mostly, it works after pressing the buttons randomly. The other cures that I have found are,
1. Connecting to power source.
2. Connecting to iTunes, which might (or might not) be the same as #1.
3. When all else fails, hard reboot by pressing the two buttons.

From my observation, this seems like a software issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.